Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Duratec 2.5l makes a strange noise

13K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  woodley 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi there

Since I bought my Mondeo MKIII, 2001, I have occasionaly heard some strange noise coming from the engine compartment. This has been coming and going in periods, and have never been constantly present.

Have a look at this video for an example (link).

I know that the sound is not coming from the A/C compressor, alternator or water pump (i have removed the corresponding drive belts and the sound is still there.

It is very hard to localize it. It kind of sounds like it's coming from the front of the engine somewhere, but the exact location is very hard to find. Does anyone have any experience with this? It does not only annoy me alot, but I'm worried that ther might me a more or less serious problem/fault causing this.

The car has a maileage of ~21.000 miles (34000km), but is in very good condition. It has always been well maintained, both by the last owner, and me since I bought it (at 17.000miles / 27000km).

(I'm terribly sorry for the vertical video. I was more focused on getting the audio than very good video).

/Linus

See less See more
#2 ·
#4 ·
Incredible! It's the exact same noise. I never thought the answer would come up this easy!

I'll have to check for the correct spare parts (mine is a 2.5L).
anti moose pipe is just a longer bit of pipe, if you've a local breakers, a piece off an airbox to rocker cover breather on a 4-pot petrol mondy would probably do the trick. :L

#6 ·
if look at the link i posted, it says:

If your V6 makes a honking (or 'moosing') noise when it's cold, you may need a specific 'anti-moosing' pipe.

ccs-46392-0-78539100-1392370119.jpg

it then goes on to say:

For the ST220 3.0 V6 this moosing noise can be caused by a faulty idle air control valve. For an 03 pre face lift ST220 the part numbers required are:

if you've a 2.5 v6, that engine isn't a 3.0 v6 from a st220, so you should only need a pipe...

#8 ·
#9 ·
Changed the hose today, and as far as I can see that did the trick. I could hear the moose very week just once when I revved the engine, but the difference is significant! I guess the lowered resonance frequency of the system due to increased volume eliminates the problem with spontaneous oscillations.

14y74ex.jpg

One could only hope that there was some kind of "anti moose"-equipment that also worked externally. I hit one (actually two at the same time) once, and was very lucky that I got away with it in one piece.

#10 ·
glad you're sorted chap :L

always best off keeping the moose(s) on the outside of the car, lol

#11 ·
I had this moosing problem, and some random pipe cured it. It also cured a low end misfire that had plagued the car for a very long time.

#12 ·
We had exactly the same noise, same V6 2.5, ghia, 2004. Changed Air Control Valve and it fixed it.
230k.kms.
Also, she was loosing power, changed sparkplugs they were the originals!
Hey presto, goes like a Rocket now.
We paid 1800€ plus he gave is winter tyres and wheels x 4.

Jackie
We had exactly the same noise, same V6 2.5, ghia, 2004. Changed Air Control Valve and it fixed it.
230k.kms.
Also, she was loosing power, changed sparkplugs they were the originals!
Hey presto, goes like a Rocket now.
We paid 1800€ plus he gave is winter tyres and wheels x 4.

Jackie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.