a/c refilled, still not working - Air-Con / Heating (Mk1/Mk2 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

a/c refilled, still not working

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Knientje

Knientje

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Wagon Mk2
  • Name:Daniel

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:14 PM

I recently had the a/c refilled, but apart from activating the radiator fan AFTER the refill, the clutch on the compressor is not engaging.
So the fan wasn't working either before the refill.

So now I want to think cheap and hope it's the relay R3.
Since it is a climate control I expect the A/C computer to "tell" the relay when to engage.
I took the relay out and do measure over 12V (running engine) in the relay box. I don't know if this should be an interrupted 12V or a constant one :unsure: 
Then I also had the idea to measure the resistance between the pins of the relay/
When I connect the two big pins I measure no resistance so they must be connected.
When I connect the two small pins I measure 0.13 (with the range of my multimeter on 20K Ohm, it doesn't go lower)

But I can't conlude by this if the relay has died, maybe someone else does.

In Dutch we have the expression "meten is weten (to measure is to know)" but I still know nothing :(

I did the self test on the climate control and returns the code 88 (no faults)

Edited by Knientje, 03 August 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#2 chrisniknikki

chrisniknikki

Mad Trucker

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo mk2 and mk3
  • Name:chris nicholson

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

Hi to test ac compressor remove the relay get a piece of wire put a spade connector on each end then put one end in each of the big terminals of the relay and this will supply power to the compressor if compressor turns then its other problems who filled your sys up they should be checking it all works cheers

#3 Knientje

Knientje

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

I tried it and the compressor is not turning.
I also need to say that one temperature sensor was recently changed. This was the one on top of the water pump.
It was completely broken in two (don't ask me how they managed that) and causing BOTH fans to blow like mad even when the engine was cold.
Because the engine temperature gauge on my dashboard was indicating incorrect I thought it was this sensor causing that problem.
But at the Ford dealer they said the sensor replaced was the one for the cooling fan(s) and that the one for the gauge on the dashboard is somewhere else.
So I am still "suffering" with the incorrect indication.
Now I want to know two things

1: Where is the sensor for the dashboard gauge?
2. Does the climate control need this sensor to do its work?

I also notice when I press the a/c button and the a/c disappears from the display the fan keeps turning.
I guess it should switch off than (after a delay?)

#4 chrisniknikki

chrisniknikki

Mad Trucker

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo mk2 and mk3
  • Name:chris nicholson

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:05 PM

I could be wrong on this 1 have a look in Haynes manual if u have one the temp guage is controlled be sensor on the engine

2 I don't think ac uses that sensor

ok next bit to try see if you can get at electrical conn on compressor and see if u got 12v to it never work if no power eh

r u sure u don't have a leak cause if low pressure switch senses less than 25psi it cuts power to compressor

its a complicated bit of kit all bits got to work right or its hot hot hot lol

#5 Knientje

Knientje

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

The misery is I am doing the tests in front of my house on the street so I have no car lift available
Who put that bloody compressor on the most unreachable place ever?

Hot hot hot. Funny, I posted that song on my Facebook yesterday,,,,

#6 Podzak

Podzak

Peter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.2 diesel
  • Name:Peter

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:59 PM

Blocked Fixed Orifice Tube?

BTW. Anyone know where that is on a mk3 Mondeo?

Edited by Podzak, 03 August 2013 - 11:00 PM.

#7 Knientje

Knientje

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:16 PM

It is a £300 Mondeo and is actually meant as an "in-between car", so I do not want to spend too much money on it, but a working a/c will be nice with this weather lol

What is an orifice tube? And where is it?

And the fan does switch off when I press the a/c button and the a/c indication disappears. I wasn't patient enough.

Edited by Knientje, 03 August 2013 - 11:20 PM.

#8 Podzak

Podzak

Peter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.2 diesel
  • Name:Peter

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:28 PM

All I know is, it can block.

I've seen it on Youtube but not on a Mondeo.

It could be easy to replace.

Depending on where it is.

#9 vally46

vally46

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo
  • Name:gareth blendell

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:52 AM

If you had s system restriction the chances are the system would run after it has been stood for a while as the pressure would equalise in the system causing the lp switch to make and fire in the compressor and after a short period the pressure would become low due to your restriction and cut out, I would say your problem is electrical , faulty pressure switch or maybe even the comp is seized.

#10 Automondeo

Automondeo

Big Daddy

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk2 2lt Ghia Auto
  • Name:Steve

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:48 PM

The sensor for the temperature guage is on the underside of the thermostat housing. The one on top is for the ECU, the one underneath is for the temp guage.

If the high speed fan is kicking in when you turn on the A/C, that shows that the ECU thinks all is well with the A/C system, so that should rule out the high or low pressure switches. I would guess that the compressor is the problem, maybe the automatic clutch. If the systems not been used for a while it may have stuck. I am sure i have read other threads that describe how to sort that problem out.

Either that or maybe the compressor clutch is not getting voltage for some reason. If you can see the wiring that goes to the compressors clutch, it would be a good idea to get your multimeter out and check to see if it's getting voltage when you turn on the A/C, but obviously you would have to be very careful seeing that the engine will be running.

R reg 1997 Mondeo 2.0lt Ghia 4 Door Saloon Auto. No mods. Gearbox from a later black topped engined car successfully transplanted in place of my original box. (I have a copy of the CD4E service manual - if you need anything, let me know).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users