Mk1 Airbag Light - Electrical (Mk1/Mk2 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Mk1 Airbag Light

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck buckles

Chuck buckles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk1
  • Name:Dave

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

I have a 93 Mk1 with airbag light constantly on.
Horn still works and I have checked the wiring all the way back to the airbag control module.

So now having removed the airbag control module and the light has gone out I have 2 questions.

1 with no airbag light showing ever is that generally accepted for the MOT

2 can I replace the airbag control module with any similar looking item from a mk1 or do all numbers on it need to be the same.

It's a 1.8 petrol in case that's important.

Sent from my 93 Mondeo 1.8 petrol

#2 paul05149

paul05149

Go On.....I'm All Ears...

• Members
  • 1942 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Flapless 1.8 MKIII

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:56 AM

If I am correct ( and more learned members please step forward) MOT will require air bag light to illuminate for a short period when ignition is turned on and then go out to show self test of system is ok.

Cheers paul M. :driving:

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/mondeo/2001/Texus/756013]

#3 Automondeo

Automondeo

Big Daddy

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk2 2lt Ghia Auto
  • Name:Steve

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:46 PM

I think your right about the MOT regs needing the light to come on for a few seconds. If your not bothered about having a working air bag, then you could wire in a timer to the air bag light so that it comes on for a few seconds when power is applied to the timer (when you turn on the ignition).

Of course i do not advise you to run around without a working air bag, but it is a way around the mot problem.

R reg 1997 Mondeo 2.0lt Ghia 4 Door Saloon Auto. No mods. Gearbox from a later black topped engined car successfully transplanted in place of my original box. (I have a copy of the CD4E service manual - if you need anything, let me know).

#4 Chuck buckles

Chuck buckles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:33 AM

Thanks for the advice.

I thought the mot would require the light to extinguish rather than not show at all.
And it's already noted on the previous mot which I had done just before they changed the rules on warning lights.

I'm happy to replace the airbag module just need to know how specific the item is to the ECU as I assume all airbags are similar.

Anyone out there with sufficient knowledge on the module to give me some pointers?

The numbers on mine are:
93BG 14B056 A1B
00 067298 3 7
CDW27

Unless of course it's the airbag itself

#5 mondy_stewie

mondy_stewie

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk 1 Mondeo LX
  • Name:Stewart

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

chuck have a look at this first the solution might be in here

http://www.mirez.co.uk/Airbag.htm

#6 siruncle

siruncle

munching bananas

• Global Moderator
  • 19000 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:St150
  • Name:Pete

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

chuck have a look at this first the solution might be in here

http://www.mirez.co.uk/Airbag.htm

yep, quite common are the yellow under front seat connectors or the clock spring failed. 

<p><p>From Rutland, Leicestershire or Northamptonshire? Join the Rutland Group, http://www.talkford....land-area-page/ Leicestershire, http://www.talkford....leicestershire/ or Northamptonshire, http://www.talkford....rthamptonshire/2000 (W) Mondeo Mk2 Ghia 2.0 Hatch in Stardust Silver, now has company, a 2000 (W) Transit Smiley :) 2.5di (ish), in diamond white, with a blue stripe. (pics coming soon). Also 05 Fiesta St150 in colorado red. This is Ford country, listen quietly and you can hear Vauxhalls rusting :)

#7 Chuck buckles

Chuck buckles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

Thanks for the pointers.

Excellent website.

Just been ferreting about under both seats and there is no wiring at all.
I did find a pound coin though so it was worth the effort.
I have no passenger airbag and have never seen the airbag light do anything other than be fully on if the key is in the ignition. Car was like this when it came into my possesion.
So I am assuming early Mk1 didn't have the extra wiring or the ability to flash codes.
Which may mean I do need an early airbag control module if that is at fault or might mean I can use a later one that will be ok without the extra sensors to check.

I'm ruling out a clock spring issue as I have metered the cables from airbag to control module plug and they are good. Plus the horn works too.

If I get chance tomorrow Ill refit the control module and see if several days put if the car has caused it to think again.

#8 mondy_stewie

mondy_stewie

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk 1 Mondeo LX
  • Name:Stewart

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

ive checked other threads chuck..it sounds like the control module under the steering wheels gave up.

#9 costeau

costeau

Dirty old Megger

• Members
  • 1417 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:31 PM

Would you still have pyrotechnic pretensioners in both front seat belts?

I used to have a Mk2 where there was a contact issue with the passenger seat connector for it,

so I gave it a once-over every time I went in for an NCT (Irish equivalent of MOT),

based on the info from Mirez' web site.

Mondeo Mk4 2008 (BA7) saloon 2.0 TDCi 130 PS (well, 152 PS with the Bluefin installed) Zetec Auto (TF-80/81SC)
Speedo cluster type 1, firmware: 0246
Audio system: Alpine iLX-700 (aftermarket)

#10 covlad1987

covlad1987

covlad1987

• Members
  • 1179 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:st200 white
  • Name:joe

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

I have a 93 Mk1 with airbag light constantly on.
Horn still works and I have checked the wiring all the way back to the airbag control module.

So now having removed the airbag control module and the light has gone out I have 2 questions.

1 with no airbag light showing ever is that generally accepted for the MOT

2 can I replace the airbag control module with any similar looking item from a mk1 or do all numbers on it need to be the same.

It's a 1.8 petrol in case that's important.

did you try unplugging and cleaning the plugs under  the front seats the first thing ford would do 

[color:red]Another warm sunny day...... Now this is Global Warming at its best!!!!!![/color]

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users