Rear Gate Wont Open - Ford Explorer Forum - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

Photo

Rear Gate Wont Open

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bug10

bug10

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:21 PM

Hey guys, im new here, so sorry if i posted this in tbe wrong place. I turn 16 Friday, and ive recently worked off my first car. I got a 1999 Ford explorer limited. Ive been working on it and trying to get it in working order. One thing thats bothering me is that the rear gate wont open. The glass will, but the gate itself wont. What could be causing this?

#2 kingcreole

kingcreole

got enough names thanks

• Members
  • 1717 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MkII Focus 1.6 Zetec
  • Name:Danny

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:39 AM

Not familiar with Exploers but sounds like the locking mechanism isn't retracting....check anything that inhibits the hinges but thats a long shot

#3 bug10

bug10

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:07 AM

Not familiar with Exploers but sounds like the locking mechanism isn't retracting....check anything that inhibits the hinges but thats a long shot

Alright. It will move a little bit, but it almost feels like its not completely letting go.

#4 kingcreole

kingcreole

got enough names thanks

• Members
  • 1717 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:36 AM

Still the locking.....to solve it you'll need someone better than I ...

#5 kingcreole

kingcreole

got enough names thanks

• Members
  • 1717 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:53 AM

BTW Bug 10 if asking a question ....don't apologise about anything...talkford just loves to help? Can I get a job in PR now Dagenham? lol

#6 bug10

bug10

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

BTW Bug 10 if asking a question ....don't apologise about anything...talkford just loves to help? Can I get a job in PR now Dagenham? lol

Alright. Thank you. Ive been part of forums (guitar relates) where people aren't so friendly.

#7 kingcreole

kingcreole

got enough names thanks

• Members
  • 1717 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:32 PM

just like life Bug10 wish I could pinpiont your soursce of trouble but sometimes posts get answered other times not!
wish I knew how to guarantee it

#8 siruncle

siruncle

munching bananas

• Global Moderator
  • 18989 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:St150
  • Name:Pete

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

have you tried removing the inner trim on the rear door, then trying to operate the lock rod by hand from inside? usually there is a rod that joins the lock barrel/handle to the locking mechanism, if you find this rod, and (usually) pull it towards the handle, it should operate the locking mechanism and release the boot.

Most of the time its one of the little rods has come out of its plastic clip, if the plastic clip is broken, it ideally needs replacing. The plastic clips may be the same in other ford models, if you can't source new, and are pretty cheap too...

I don't have any experience with this ford model, so the info i give is based on my experience with other models.

I can recommend buying yourself a haynes manual, if you can source one, these are brilliant little books, well worth buying, as they pay for themselves easily, (my current mondeo one has lasted me 3 mondeos, so it owes me nothing) http://www.haynes.co...s/ford/explorer

<p>From Rutland, Leicestershire or Northamptonshire? Join the Rutland Group, http://www.talkford....land-area-page/ Leicestershire, http://www.talkford....leicestershire/ or Northamptonshire, http://www.talkford....rthamptonshire/2000 (W) Mondeo Mk2 Ghia 2.0 Hatch in Stardust Silver, now has company, a 2000 (W) Transit Smiley :) 2.5di (ish), in diamond white, with a blue stripe. (pics coming soon). Also now got a
02 zetec-s 2.5 in Panther Black and an 05 Fiesta St150 in colorado red

This is Ford country, listen quietly and you can hear Vauxhalls rusting :)

#9 polo128

polo128

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 12:03 PM

Also check out this blog. there are shop manuals from 1928-1996 years. owners manual pdf download

#10 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 28199 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 22 June 2020 - 06:59 PM

If they have not opened it by now i suspect that having it stuck shut

for the past 7 years will not bother them.   :D

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users