Air Con Not Working - A Couple Of Questions. - Page 5 - Air-Con / Heating (Mk1/Mk2 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Air Con Not Working - A Couple Of Questions.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 Automondeo

Automondeo

Big Daddy

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk2 2lt Ghia Auto
  • Name:Steve

Posted 01 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

I will have a look when the car is on the ramps. I will also consult Mr Haynes, on the off-chance it sheds any useful info. Don't fancy taking too much to bits inside the car, so it may just get 90psi shoved up it from outside. Hopefully that will sort it.

R reg 1997 Mondeo 2.0lt Ghia 4 Door Saloon Auto. No mods. Gearbox from a later black topped engined car successfully transplanted in place of my original box. (I have a copy of the CD4E service manual - if you need anything, let me know).

#42 Automondeo

Automondeo

Big Daddy

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

Quick update. Car is booked into a local garage this Friday to have a nitrogen test, vacuum and recharge. I am obviously hopeful it passes the first test.

With regards to the drain pipe, i found that and poked a suitable poking device up it - no dirt to cause a blockage, but i could feel something that gave way whenever i pushed my poking device against it, felt like somesort of flap maybe? Whatever it was it moved back into it's original place when i removed my poking device. I am guessing it is supposed to be there, so i will leave it now until i get the system working, then i shall know where to look for drips under the car. The pipe by the way is just behind the sub-frame, just a couple of inches towards the drivers side from centre (right-hand drive car). It's a hard black plastic pipe with an ID of about 1/2inch.

O-Rings.

Many thanks go to RB2004 for sorting me out the correct size O-Rings for the condenser joints, and for the spring-lock joints that connect to the drier. I have measured them to the best of my ability with my calipers, and these are the sizes i got.

Condenser O-Rings. You need two of these.

9.20mm Inside diameter x 2.6mm thickness.

Spring Lock fittings on the drier. 2 x O-Rings per joint, = 4 O-Rings in total.

13.5mm Inside diameter x 1.85mm thickness.

There is also a small O-Ring on the pressure sensor fitting that screws onto the top of the drier, i forgot to measure that one - it was a size that i had in my own selection of O-Rings, but by looking at what s missing out of my selection box i can deduce that it must have been 8mm ID x 2mm thickness.

The top two sizes are approx - not easy measuring O-Rings, even with a digital caliper.

Hope this info is of help to others. I will post back after i have been to the garage on Friday afternoon.

R reg 1997 Mondeo 2.0lt Ghia 4 Door Saloon Auto. No mods. Gearbox from a later black topped engined car successfully transplanted in place of my original box. (I have a copy of the CD4E service manual - if you need anything, let me know).

#43 sgking

sgking

ST200 Limited Ghia X

• Members
  • 6505 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:car

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:18 PM

thats great info. thanks for taking the time to share it.

how would i go about getting these seals when the time arises?

thanks
Mondeo 2000 ST24

Mondeo ST200 Limited Edition no 181/300 'Ghia X'

#44 Automondeo

Automondeo

Big Daddy

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

how would i go about getting these seals when the time arises?

thanks

They do not appear to be easily available online, nearly all of the cheaper hnbr O-Ring kits available do not have the correct sizes, getting a more comprehensive selection kit is way too expensive seeing that you are only going to use a few out of it.

I would suggest either going along to a garage that does air-con work, if you promise them the job of the re-gas then they might sell you the ones you want. Or, go to Fords, but knowing Fords they will want more for the O-Rings than you will be paying for the condenser.

Edited by Automondeo, 06 June 2013 - 09:15 AM.

#45 Automondeo

Automondeo

Big Daddy

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 07:04 PM

Yay, i now have a fully functioning air-con system in the car!

No leaks evident when the nitrogen pressure test was done, and all was ok with the vacuum. 740g of gas, 20g of new oil and all is well.

The garage i used does use an automatic machine, but they do a separate nitrogen pressure test before they hook the machine up. It took them about an hour and 15mins in total. Cost me £49. It would have cost me that at one of the fast fit centres, and that would be without a nitrogen pressure test, so i am well happy.

So thanks again everyone for all the help and advice, especially RB2004 for all of his help and knowledge. If i lived closer to Essex he would have got the re-gas job for sure.

Cheers everyone! :pimms:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users