Air Con Not Working - A Couple Of Questions. - Air-Con / Heating (Mk1/Mk2 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Air Con Not Working - A Couple Of Questions.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Automondeo

Automondeo

Big Daddy

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk2 2lt Ghia Auto
  • Name:Steve

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

Like the title suggests, my air con is non-functional at the moment, been like that since last year. I know the reason for it not working - no gas in the system. There was still some gas in the system when it first stopped working, a quick push on the valve situated near the washer bottle filler neck gave a loud hiss of gas, but that was over a year ago now, since then it's totally gone. I am presuming that whilst there was pressure in the system back then, it was not sufficient, thus the air con would not engage the clutch on the compressor.

So a couple of questions, do car air con systems lose their gas over the years, or will it only lose it if there is a leak? If i do have a leak, where are the most likely places to look in the system? All the pipe work looks very good, in fact it looked to be brand new when i bought the car about 4 years ago.

One thing i have never done before is anything to do with the air con system, so this is all new to me. If a leak is suspected, where should i look first?

Any advice will be very gratefully recieved.

Cheers!

R reg 1997 Mondeo 2.0lt Ghia 4 Door Saloon Auto. No mods. Gearbox from a later black topped engined car successfully transplanted in place of my original box. (I have a copy of the CD4E service manual - if you need anything, let me know).

#2 RB2004

RB2004

Click4 - What will you Click4 today?

• Members
  • 1481 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

Yep the system naturally looses gas over time, because the hoses are rubber and there's the crimped joints etc, lots of heat and vibration so the system looses its gas every now and again.

#3 Automondeo

Automondeo

Big Daddy

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:33 PM

Thanks for that speedy reply. I thought that was the case, but was not sure. So it might just need a re-gas then. I will have a look around my local garages and see who is offering a deal at the moment on re-gassing. Guess it would be wise to ask them to do a pressure test on it first, just to see if there is a leak somewhere.

Thanks again for the info, much appreciated.

R reg 1997 Mondeo 2.0lt Ghia 4 Door Saloon Auto. No mods. Gearbox from a later black topped engined car successfully transplanted in place of my original box. (I have a copy of the CD4E service manual - if you need anything, let me know).

#4 veralum

veralum

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2008 MONDEO TDCI 140
  • Name:Duck Tippin

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

halfords do a recharge for £49, have used them a few times with different cars and they have been fine, last year used a local mobile chap who came round and did it in about 15 mins for £55, halfords connect it to a machine which sucks out the old stuff and refills it with the correct amount, there is no charge if it doesnt work.

I am sure some one will slag off halfords but they simple connect the car up to the machine, type in the car model and machine does it all. takes about 40 mins

cars need to be topped up every three years or so, it is normal for the sytem to lose its charge

#5 RB2004

RB2004

• Members
  • 1481 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:38 PM

Yep get it pressure tested first with nitrogen preferable, vacuums aren't a good leak test.

Had a customer today,

Took it in, it was done on an automatic machine, machine said leak free.
7 days later, gas gone,

Took it in again, machine said leak free, 24 hours later refrigerant gone.

I diagnosed it, and it was a leaking hose.

So nitrogen test is the best method for leak testing and manual investigation.

Machines only detect the big leaks! They aren't good for smaller ones and they are my biggest source of complaints... This includes halfords, kwik fit and most garages.

Yesterday I had a case where kwik fit diagnosed no leak with their machine, guy got down the road and his condenser blew up, bottom fell off it because it was corroded.

Now from experience I know condensers don't just fail suddenly like that without leaking beforehand... Because for it to fail it means the alluminium is corroded, and if corroded then the metal is going to naturally leak.

So it was rediculas for them to claim it was leak free.

Mobile is better but not somebody spending 15 minutes, I'm lucky if each car takes me an hour and half.

Loosing refrigerant over time is normal but not in a short period of time.

Edited by RB2004, 02 May 2013 - 06:48 PM.

#6 frembrit

frembrit

MEG Corporal

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 2572 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo MK4.5
  • Name:Dave

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

Mine cant have lost much in 13 years as it's never had a re-gas and is still cold. I do run it regularly during the winter to keep the seals lubricated. Hope yours only needs a re-gas.

Mondeo 2.2 TDCI Titanium X Sport (MK4.5), Panther Black | S-Max 2.5T front brake calipers and 316mm discs |  Fuel Log

Now Dead - Mondeo ST24, 2000 W reg, Amparo Blue | ST170 Calipers and Discs | Goodridge Hoses | GW Decat | K&N Panel Filter | Black eyes | LPG

Honda Hornet, 2004, Matt Blue.

#7 veralum

veralum

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

halfords do a recharge for £49, have used them a few times with different cars and they have been fine, last year used a local mobile chap who came round and did it in about 15 mins for £55, halfords connect it to a machine which sucks out the old stuff and refills it with the correct amount, there is no charge if it doesnt work.

I am sure some one will slag off halfords but they simple connect the car up to the machine, type in the car model and machine does it all. takes about 40 mins

cars need to be topped up every three years or so, it is normal for the sytem to lose its charge

sorry meant kwikfit not halfords, been a long day, my mobile man sticks luminous dye in system too

#8 RB2004

RB2004

• Members
  • 1481 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:43 PM

The dye is part of the oil.

Anybody charging extra for dye is just ripping people off, you can get oil on its own, and oil with dye, they are practically same price so if somebody is using oil on its own and charging extra for dye they are just looking for extra ways to charge customers unnecessarily

#9 veralum

veralum

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

Where are you located?

Yep get it pressure tested first with nitrogen preferable, vacuums aren't a good leak test.

Had a customer today,

Took it in, it was done on an automatic machine, machine said leak free.
7 days later, gas gone,

Took it in again, machine said leak free, 24 hours later refrigerant gone.

I diagnosed it, and it was a leaking hose.

So nitrogen test is the best method for leak testing and manual investigation.

Machines only detect the big leaks! They aren't good for smaller ones and they are my biggest source of complaints... This includes halfords, kwik fit and most garages.

Mobile is better but not somebody spending 15 minutes, I'm lucky if each car takes me an hour and half.

Loosing refrigerant over time is normal but not in a short period of time.

where are you located and how much to recharge mine, i bought the car 3 months ago and think it could do with one

#10 Automondeo

Automondeo

Big Daddy

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

Thanks everyone. i am near Barnstaple, North Devon, i know there is a tiny little Kwik Fit tucked away down a side street, plus i know there is a big ATS not far from here, i think they might also do it. I will have to look around. the info about having it tested with the nitrogen first is interesting, i will make that one of my deciding factors in who gets the job. I hate going to garages and having to hang around for an hour, so would be good not to keep having to go back if there is a leak.

Hopefully it will be ok and just need recharging, and so long as it lasts the summer i will be happy.

Thanks again everyone, :L

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users