2.0Tdci Oil Specs And Standards - Diesel Engines (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

2.0Tdci Oil Specs And Standards

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mlwprescott

mlwprescott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk4
  • Name:Mike

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Having recently done some extensive research on oil, mainly because of the DPF on my car and the fact that it's approaching its next service, I thought I'd share my findings so that others can save some time and make the right choice when it comes to engine oil. I'm not sure which other engines this information applies to so if anyone can advise it might be useful for them as well.

There seem to be two 'correct' options for the 2.0 diesel Mondeo.
Firstly the handbook states that the engine oil should be to Ford specification WSS-M2C913, now to revision C, with a recommendation to use Castrol or Ford oil.
It also says "if you are unable to find an oil that meets the specification defined by WSS-M2C913-C, you must use SAE 5W-30 that meets the specification defined by ACEA A5/B5."

Secondly, there's a lot of information about oil suitable for engines equipped with DPFs. There are relatively new ACEA specifications, C1, C2, C3 and C4, which are "designed for use in high performance gasoline and light duty diesel engines where advanced aftertreatment systems such as Diesel Particulate Filters (DPFs) and Three Way Catalysts (TWC) are used." Ranging from C4 down to C1, the SAPS (Sulphated Ash, Phosphorous and Sulphur) limits are always mid to low while the HTHS (High-temperature, High-shear) vary from high for C4 down to low for C1. The C1 and C2 levels also have increased fuel economy requirements.

This recommendation has also come from the fact that the engine used in the Mondeo is also common across the PSA Group range (Citroen, Peugeot) who have been recommending ACEA C2/C3 oils since the introduction of their PSA B71 2290 standard in 2009.
The common reasoning given for the fact that Ford still recommend ACEA A5/B5 in their manual and dealer network is that the ACEA C ratings were not fully established at the time of the Mondeo's release, however that clearly hasn’t stopped Citroen and Peugeot from adapting.

It looks like Ford has tried to alleviate some of the issues presented to motorists on engine oil selection by releasing a new standard: WSS-M2C934, now to revision B. This is classed as "an extended drain engine oil for vehicles equipped with diesel particulate filter (DPF)." From what I’ve seen on places like Opieoils and oilspecifications.org this is a Ford specification that is also to ACEA C1. The range of Jaguar Land Rover engines such as the 2.7d and 3.0d are using this WSS-M2C934-B standard as well.

In the end, I purchased 6 litres of Motul Eco-clean+ 5w-30 ACEA C1 which is to the specifications of WSS-M2C934-B, ACEA C1, Mazda engines with DPF and JASO DL-1. Others on here are recommending saving a little money and going for an ACEA C2 oil which admittedly will have marginally better wear properties but marginally increased fuel consumption. As long as you use an oil rated to ACEA C2 or C1 I like to think that the DPF on the Mondeo's will last the car's lifetime.

I hope this helps someone else with their decision on which engine oil to buy!

Cheers,
Mike

Edited by mlwprescott, 26 February 2013 - 10:59 AM.

Mondeo Mk4 2.0 TDCi 140 Zetec

#2 titchy

titchy

TF regular

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mk4 mondeo 2.0
  • Name:william

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:12 PM

I have an 08 2.0 mondeo and the handbook states WSS-M2C913B is WSS-M2C913C an oil upgrade that I can use.

#3 Brompton

Brompton

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Galaxy 2.0 Tdci
  • Name:Michael

Posted 08 March 2021 - 01:17 PM

Although this is a very old thread I have been looking at the same issue for my 2013 Galaxy 2.0 Tdci. Millers tell me use 913 oil (Which is high SAPS) as 934 C1 oil (which is low SAPS) won't sufficiently protect engine (i've been using their C1 934 oil for 20,000 miles without any issues - but that doesn't mean that it isn't shortening the life of the engine - currently 70,000 miles) Only looked at it again as became aware of the HTHS issue. On the face of it there appears to be a trade off between potential DPF and engine wear problems. Has anybody looked at this and been able to get a definitive answer?

#4 Speedlimit

Speedlimit

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 375 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2011 LX TDCi
  • Name:Reg Griffiths

Posted 08 March 2021 - 10:25 PM

I went to change the engine and gearbox oil the day after buying my 2011 MC diesel in 2012. The first thing I noticed was that the oil manufacturers recommended engine oil was 'not suitable for vehicles equipped with DPFs'. After ringing several oil co technical departments I gave up.

I chose to use a C rated oil and forgot about it. Have used it for 220000km without issue.

Bromton said ' On the face of it there appears to be a trade off between potential DPF and engine wear problems'

Another theory is that it was a trade off between fuel efficiency and DPF life.
If I recall correctly the 'right' oil at the time was more fuel efficent, which is why it was 'eco'.
Anyway my car still gets the same fuel economy as when I bought it: 5.9 - 6.4 l/100km.

The other trade off that comes to mind is the service cost versus wear and tear, so extended drain intervals. Having said that I do mine at the specified interval anyway.
I currently use TITAN GT1 PRO FLEX SAE 5W-30 ...

Another question is who's in bed with who when it comes to recommendations and approvals....

The transmission fluid change was the next headache, with the fluid costing (at the time) $60/litre from Ford and no instructions in the Haynes manual.. Now (with two cars) I buy 20 litres FUCHS for the same $360 cost, ie enought to do 3 changes.

Maybe someone else has a definitive answer.

#5 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 29177 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 09 March 2021 - 12:17 AM

The best Oil, Bulbs, anything   ((Sponsored by Brand   'X'))  

is...{{drum roll}}      Brand 'X'

1001% coincidental that they supplied the facilities, methods and cash

to do the testing.

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#6 Brompton

Brompton

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 03:30 PM

Thanks for the above.I think 913D and 924 are both fuel efficient spec oils. I am looking at the difference in oil specification rather than brands - both are produced by many oil manufacturers.

To me whether it is advisable to use 924 (C1Low Saps) rather than 913 (A5/B5 High SAPs) is largely down to whether the difference in High Temp/ High Shear nos (C1:>2.9, A5/B5 >2.9, <3.5 - according to Penrite) will lead to increased wear.

I remain puzzled by why Ford would specify a non DPF oil for DPF equipped cars - but  can now see that others on this and other forums have grappled with this issue without success. It is encouraging to see that others have got to 135000 miles on C1 924 oil without issues.

I normally change oil at 10- 12000 miles which may help (as most of these oils seem to be longlife and HT/HS reduces with mileage) but for the time being I think I will alternate between 913D and 924.

It would be interesting to know how MLWPrescott got on - but he hasn't been online for nearly 2 yrs!

#7 Speedlimit

Speedlimit

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 06:36 AM

AUS shops selling engine oil have specific containers of oil specifically labelled as specifically for the Ford Mondeo. I think it started a couple of years back. Maybe the same in UK?

It would be helpful if manufacturers provided some basic information to explain the reasoning behind it. Even the FUCHS that I use has one for the Mondeo, which I don't use ....

My 2 Mondeos don't need an oil top up in 15000Km. No DPF issues in 200000Km+ for each car, apart from the usual vapouriser fail.

The best policy if you're not sure:   use the recommended oil.

Edited by Speedlimit, 10 March 2021 - 06:45 AM.

#8 Brompton

Brompton

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 01:14 PM

I can't find any engine oil specifically labelled for the Mondeo - which has the same recommended oil as my Galaxy - 913C or D (High SAPS) I think your oil is C2/C3 which is mid SAPS. Although there doesn't appear to be a Ford C2/C3 oil spec, the PSA spec for Peugeot/Citroens which use the same engine is C2/C3. The HTHS for C2 is >2.9 and C3 >3.5 - so it's likely to have better wear characterisics than the Ford 934 C1 (Low Saps) oil - and your experience also suggests that it could well be a good compromise.

For this oil change at least I will revert to the recommended 913D - it now seems to me that, contrary to MWL Prescotts view, 934C1 is not advisable due to possible engine wear issues.

However, all other things being equal a high SAPS oil must surely reduce DPF life - why Ford would specify a High SAPS oil if other lower SAPS oils with acceptable engine wear characteritics were available remains a mystery.

#9 Speedlimit

Speedlimit

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 08:42 AM

Agreed, it's a little mystery.

For the fun of it, here's a quote from:

https://www.fuchs.co...o-dt-sae-5w-30/

'Ultra High Performance, extreme fuel-economy engine oil especially suitable for Ford DuraTorq-Diesel engines.'

Why it is especially suitable for TDCI is not explained, but reading between the lines I'm guessing it's because it is so fuel efficient it props up Fords fuel economy sales promise.

It's also amusing that 'eco' could mean economic or ecological.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users