The basic thing that drives it is the idea of power to weight ratios. According to Haynes and Parkers (other sources are available),
Mk1 Saloon V6 is approx 1370kgs with 170bhp 220Nm = 124bhp/tonne 160Nm/tonne
ST220 is approx 1530kgs with 220bhp 280Nm = 143bhp/tonne 183Nm/tonne
Assuming I can get it running somewhere close to the claimed output I should have somewhere in the region of 160bhp/tonne 204Nm/tonne.
So far, the project is kind of rough and ready, I just want to get it running (sort of) normally and then start to approach the details. It would look better closer to the ground, I'm also a fan of the proper RS body kit and if one turns up at the right price it's definitely on the cards but I want it to run smoother first. I'm by no means an engineer or a qualified mechanic and there's many things that tend to go over my head, but without wishing to appear controversial there also seems to be a lot of 'tuning' stuff that you can buy in the likes of Halfords and via the google machine that probably makes less difference than the weather does to the amount of air your engine can suck in.
There's a degree of self adaptability with the standard Ford management and this project is quite blatantly exploiting that (am I the only one that thinks my car is faster on some days than others?) Having driven it a few times now in anger, it would appear that it's about reached the limit of what the EECIV can do with 3 litres. It seems to go well after it thinks the secondaries have opened, which I imagine is a fueling issue, but below that, it struggles on light throttle. It bucks and surges as if it's got a misfire... Now there's a thought, plugs and leads might help... I think basically it wants a remap though, and I've got Racebits in W.Mids in my sights.
With regards to the fueling though, the emissions comparison with last year:
Fast Idle Test (2500-3000rpm)
CO 0.04% CO -0.005%
HC 19ppm HC 3ppm
Lamda 1.02 Lamda 1.014
Natural Idle Test
CO 0.01% CO 0.083%
Surely if I extrapolate that, then if it was a 3.1 it would actually be consuming hydrocarbons on a fast idle rather than producing them. Someone should tell Greenpeace about this monster! Joking aside though, the engine seems cleaner at fast idle. Perhaps it's running lean if the ECU thinks it's only fueling for 6 valves instead of 12 due to having no secondaries?
The tester actually said he couldn't figure out how it had passed when you consider this:
First time I took it out, (after the smoking brakes event/disaster), I was quite disappointed as it drove like it was a 1.6. I spoke to a man about a dog who knew about cars who mentioned checking voltages - specifically that of the Throttle Position Sensor. I'd had to modify the throttle bracket as the only cable I had at my disposal had a different end on it and I didn't want to buy a new throttle cable when I'd got 2 in the garage - one of which could surely be made to work. According to info I could find, the TPS should be reading about 0.7v at idle and close to 5.0v at WOT. Mine was reading 2.7v at WOT. WHAT?!
Simply, the throttle was only opening halfway due to my previous bodge! I took it off and bent it about and rewelded it. After a few trials I'd finished, and the butterfly was opening fully and TPS readout was 4.7v. It looked like this
Eventually, I might get the cruise control working again. It was too complicated at the time to integrate it into my new throttle bracket. A pet hate of mine is having buttons that don't work. I don't mind having no buttons, but those you do have should all work.
Whilst a Hansel & Gretel style trail of transmission fluid everywhere I go is one way of always finding my way home, it could involve some dangerous manoeuvres traveling the wrong way down the dual carriageway, and somehow I don't think plod would join that particular school of thought. I prefer maps anyway, so I ordered some gearbox seals for the trusty MTX75. They turned up while it was snowing and I was in the middle of 10 days off. The snow drove me inside but after 6 days I was going out of my mind, so I bit the bullet and jacked up the car. New seal in. Hopefully the concept of transmission fluid as a regular consumable is now a thing of the past with this baby.
What made that easier was the fact that all the front suspension was put back together last time with lashings of copper slip. It makes life so much easier for 'next time'
Thanks for reading.
Edited by refriedgenes, 26 January 2013 - 08:25 PM.