Mk4 Mondeo Diesel Timing Belt Facts - Page 3 - Diesel Engines (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Mk4 Mondeo Diesel Timing Belt Facts

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#21 Steve Hill

Steve Hill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MondeoMK41.8TDCI125

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

That was my thought. I'm going to trust the only eyes I can and have a look at the engine myself. Anyone know the best access points to look. Ford are really winding me up.

#22 IrishMk4

IrishMk4

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk4
  • Name:Seán

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:54 PM

Steve, this might be helpful in your discussions with Ford (http://www.talkford....-chain-or-belt/). It provides the part number for the fuel drive belt cassette. Might be worth approaching Ford direct as there seems to be a lot of confusion in the dealership regarding the 07 Lynx mondeo.

#23 Steve Hill

Steve Hill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:30 PM

Thanks Bailes1992 and IrishMk4 for you help.

I'm going to go to fords tomorrow with the picture of the cassette and ask them to tell me that it does not exist when I clearly have a picture of the relevant components.

Then when they admit fault for firstly not informing me that this belt requires changing when I asked. Secondly as when I spoke to them today they clearly stated that this belt did not exist and thirdly that the car has a chain (not a belt) and that it never requires changing in the life of the car....I will expect a generous discount and the cambelt replaced once again for free when I have the fuel pump belt (cassette) changed.

More likely ill get a complementary car wash after with a gift of smears all I've my car.

#24 bailes1992

bailes1992

Mondeo Whisperer

• Members
  • 2583 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2015 Ford Focus
  • Name:Sam

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:26 AM

Print off the service schedule from ETIS too!

2015 Ford Focus Titanium

1.5TDCi (120ps)

#25 Steve Hill

Steve Hill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

Ok an update for you.

Popped into the Ford Garage today. Asked to speak to the one I spoke to previously. I asked him to confirm that no other items were to be replaced at 125k. He did so.

I then put all the paperwork and diagrams in front and said what is this then.

He disappeared for 15 mins. Come back to utter the words "I am so sorry".

Immediately said that he has spoke to the boss explaining they really need to do something. This is what they are doing

They are now going to replace the fuel pump cassette and cambelt on the car for the price of just the cost price of the fuel pump cassette, this being £192 VAT inclusive. All labour and replacement cambelt will be changed free of charge along with any other little issues they find. Booked in for a week Tuesday.

I seriously owe you guys and this forum.

All I can say is Result.

#26 bailes1992

bailes1992

Mondeo Whisperer

• Members
  • 2583 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

FairPlay on them holding their hands up and agreeing that it is their fault!
It does make you wonder though that they are missing out massive maintenance items on customers cars though! People who don't know any batter.

2015 Ford Focus Titanium

1.5TDCi (120ps)

#27 Steve Hill

Steve Hill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:23 PM

Bailes I'll update on that side of things once the work is done. Very very concerning.

#28 Mark Mass

Mark Mass

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mondeo
  • Name:Mark

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

Mondeos with 1.8tdci built between (02/2007–02/10/2007) have a chain and belt timing

mondeos1.8tdci built after 02/10/2007 have a belt in oil (instead of chain) and belt timing THANKS BAILES1992.

DONT BELIEVE THIS I HAVE A 57 Mondeo according to Parts, Service and Technical I have a Belt and Chain.

What a shock engine stopped, stripped down to find a Belt Belt system. Contacted Ford they still insisted that I had a belt chain set up.

Told them the teeth had shredded pistons shot and valve bent beyond believe.

Today ALL ford suppliers still tell me I have a belt and chain set up. They have even sent me the technical data by fax.

Suggest anyone who has doubts when they change the cam belt, drain the oil and check the fuel pump to see if belt or chain.

FORD DO NOT KNOW WHICH CAR HAS WHICH ENGINE.

According to FORD 2,600 Ford Mondeo's and 12,000 Focus's have this engine with belt belt combination. They do not know which cars even with the Chassis numbers.

Can someone tell me why a belt should be emmersed in oil which goes HOT and COLD

By the way the belt failed at 106.000 miles.... Timing belt was changed at 85,000. Ford stated as a chain on the fuel pump no need to change.

BEWARNED.......a new engine is going to cost 1400 pounds with a timing change.

Someone at Fords must know this problem. A TIME BOMB WAITING TO EXPLODE ?????

Comments Guys.

#29 jon67

jon67

Little Megger

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

I refer to my post on a few months back regarding this issue. Considering the state of the fuel pump belt I consider myself very lucky I changed it well before the recommended Ford interval.

I have just bought a replacement fuel pump belt cassette unit for my 09 plate 1.8tdci.
Part number is F1562244 and cost £107+vat.
Ford etis service schedule recommends all belts are changed at 125,000 for the 1.8 Lynx engine but i have heard too many stories of snapped fuel pump belts around the 100,000 mark to push it that far.

Update: Had the belts changed today at 97,000 miles and I'm glad I didn't leave it till the recommended 125,000 miles.
The cam belt was fine with no signs of wear or cracking but the fuel pump belt that runs in oil (new one shown in pic) was on its last legs. The outside of the belt was covered in cracks right round and the rubber had hardened and stiffened considerably.

Posted Image

#30 bailes1992

bailes1992

Mondeo Whisperer

• Members
  • 2583 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:45 AM

Mine was immaculate at 108/109k.

Just looked like an oily belt.

Cambelt was in good nick too!