Mk4 Mondeo Diesel Timing Belt Facts - Diesel Engines (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Mk4 Mondeo Diesel Timing Belt Facts

• Please log in to reply
161 replies to this topic

#1 bailes1992

bailes1992

Mondeo Whisperer

• Members
  • 2583 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2015 Ford Focus
  • Name:Sam

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

POPULAR

After the "Cambelt" thread there seems to be a bit of confusion between engines, especially the 1.8TDCi.

I decided to write a guide on timing belts in the MK4 Diesels, hopefully it will be made a sticky and help to aid any future confusion.

1.8TDCi

PRE 10/07

The 1.8TDCi's built before October 2007 had a Belt and Chain setup.
The fuel pump is driven by a chain from the crank...
Posted Image

The camshaft is driven from the fuel pump via a belt...
Posted Image

Post 10/07
Cars built after October 2007 with the 1.8TDCi engine have two belts.
The fuel pump is belt driven via the crank. Much like the chain, the belt is in a cassette.
This belt also has an oil feed much like the chain, weather or not the belt could be replaced with a chain is still unknown.
Posted Image

The camshaft is then driven from the fuel pump via a belt.
Posted Image

Replacement intervals

Fuel Pump Drive BELT - 10 years/125,000miles.
Fuel Pump Drive CHAIN - 10 years/125,000miles. CARS PRIOR TO THE MK4 MONDEO USING THE CHAIN SETUP DID NOT HAVE A REPLACEMENT INTERVAL
Cambelt - 10 years/125,000miles

THERE IS NO NEED TO REPLACE THE WATER PUMP UNLESS IT FAILS, THE WATER PUMP IS DRIVEN VIA THE AUX BELT

Prices

I have had a price off my local Ford dealer and is booked in on the 5th December to have the AUX belt, Fuel pump drive belt and the Cambelt replaced. The price I have for this is £480.17 inclusive of Parts, Labour and VAT.

The following are prices I've had off Ford Parts UK...

Mondeo (+)"GB" 1.8L Duratorq-TDCi (125PS) 5 Door RHD
Timing Belt
Part Number: 1215977
Retail Price: £40.97
You Pay: £32.78

Mondeo (+)"GB" 1.8L Duratorq-TDCi (125PS) 5 Door RHD
Timing Belt Cassette
Part Number: 1562244
Retail Price: £107.29
You Pay: £91.20

2.0/2.2 TDCi

The 2.0 and 2.2 engines both derive from the same PSA engine. The blocks are identical and so are the heads. The only difference are down to the bore sizes and pistons.
They have one timing belt that drives ONE camshaft and water pump. This may also drive the fuel pump but right I am not sure whether or not it is driven off the camshaft.
Posted Image

As far as Ford is concerned that is all the timing gear that should ever need to be replaced, but if you look at the picture above you will see a chain between the two camshafts. This chain has a history of failing. The main cause of failure is the cogs on the cam are only pressed on and the cogs simply break free from the cams. The picture below (Courtesy of DarrenJLobb) shows the chain in question.
Posted Image

I have been told that it is often worth changing the chain when doing the cambelt, although the cogs on the camshafts aren't easy to replace. I would assume you would have to replace the entire cam, obviously that could get very expensive!

Replacement Intervals

Timing Belt - 10years/125,000miles
Ford and Peugeot say there is no need to replace the chain between the camshafts regardless of stories surrounding them about failures.

Prices

Timing belt kit (Including water pump) from Ford for the 2.2 comes in at £160 +vat.
Timing belt kit (Including water pump) from Ford for the 2.0 comes in at £185 +vat.

I hope this answers all questions people have about the timing gear on the MK4 Diesels.
Bailes.
  • malford, tonygreen, herrbohnen and 3 others like this

2015 Ford Focus Titanium

1.5TDCi (120ps)

#2 costeau

costeau

Dirty old Megger

• Members
  • 1417 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

POPULAR

Thanks for clarifying. I'm actually surprised that the timing belt needs to be replaced as seldom as every 200 000 km,
as I'm from previous cars used to having it done every 60 000 km (bit more than 35 000 miles).

Previous cars I've had, the mechanic has written on the belt cover (using Tip-Ex, no less!) what mileage the timing belt was last done!
Whenever I had it replaced, they just sanded it off and wrote the new service mileage. It did ruing the aesthetics of the engine bay.
Like, why couldn't they just put it down in the service booklet?
  • bender7 likes this

Mondeo Mk4 2008 (BA7) saloon 2.0 TDCi 130 PS (well, 152 PS with the Bluefin installed) Zetec Auto (TF-80/81SC)
Speedo cluster type 1, firmware: 0246
Audio system: Alpine iLX-700 (aftermarket)

#3 bailes1992

bailes1992

Mondeo Whisperer

• Members
  • 2583 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

My last Peugeot 406 had it engraved in the slam panel :crazy:

2015 Ford Focus Titanium

1.5TDCi (120ps)

#4 Mondeo-hopeful

Mondeo-hopeful

Megger

• Members
  • 3400 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Tit X Sport 4

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

Servicing is taken into account with new cars too, not many fleet buyers would want to replace the belt at 60k so manufacturers make it longer.

Thanks for the x-rated pic of the PSA lump, I hope never to see the inside of mines.
BLUETOOTH MODULE INFO www.talkford.com/topic/147387-please-help-for-btvc/page__p__1403226#entry1403226
Check your CONVERS+ version www.talkford.com/topic/154824-convers-versions/
Check your SPECIFICATION on ETIS here http://www.etis.ford...5707F2.fcvas509
To search the forum more effectively go to google.co.uk add the following to the search box :site talkford mondeo mk4 <your query> e.g :site talkford mondeo mk4 bluetooth

09 2.2 Tit X Sport, Hypno Silver, options are keyless entry, privacy glass, 8 Way Powered Drivers Seat

#5 doctor747

doctor747

Megger

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

Thanks for clarifying. I'm actually surprised that the timing belt needs to be replaced as seldom as every 200 000 km,

as I'm from previous cars used to having it done every 60 000 km (bit more than 35 000 miles).

Previous cars I've had, the mechanic has written on the belt cover (using Tip-Ex, no less!) what mileage the timing belt was last done!

Whenever I had it replaced, they just sanded it off and wrote the new service mileage. It did ruing the aesthetics of the engine bay.

Like, why couldn't they just put it down in the service booklet?

Replaced my timing belt and water pump at 125,000 as per Ford. The condition of belt and pump were, considering the mileage, exemplary. I paid about £250 at a local garage, and that included oil service. The water pump change meant that the coolant was replaced as well
57 plate MK4 2.0 tdci Titanium

#6 terry_mccann

terry_mccann

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus Mk3 TDCI DPF

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

250 pounds is a great score...
"There's no school like the old school, and I'm the f**kin' headmaster. "
Lenny Cole, RockNRolla

#7 herrbohnen

herrbohnen

grumpy old git

• Members
  • 2271 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk.5 tit estate 4x 4

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:14 AM

Seems like the 1.8 has been designed by heath Robinson

#8 bailes1992

bailes1992

Mondeo Whisperer

• Members
  • 2583 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

Car went in to Bridgend Ford today.
Phonecall 2 hours later telling me it's going to be another £200.
Apparently in the price they gave me they didn't include any gaskets or bolts.

Booked back in for Monday, I am pretty pissed off to say the least.

Also think I got a bloody speeding ticket :eek13: 46/47mph on the speedo in a 40. Might have got away with it, who knows!

2015 Ford Focus Titanium

1.5TDCi (120ps)

#9 IrishMk4

IrishMk4

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk4
  • Name:Seán

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

Bailes,

I still think its a good deal. After ringing around a load Ford places the price you got is well below average. The inj drive belt is £241 for the part only and fixed price ford promise on the timing belt is £349 fitted.

I'm looking at £485 for the aux belt and timing belt only.

Seán.

#10 danwfastford

danwfastford

Big Megger

• Members
  • 2220 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2.0 TDCi TiTX Estate

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

Car went in to Bridgend Ford today.
Phonecall 2 hours later telling me it's going to be another £200.
Apparently in the price they gave me they didn't include any gaskets or bolts.

So they want to charge £200 for "bolts and gaskets". I'd tell them to jog on!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users