Adjusting The Handbrake Adjuster - Suspension / Wheels / Brakes / Steering (Mk1/Mk2 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Adjusting The Handbrake Adjuster

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chrissssss

Chrissssss

Little Megger

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

POPULAR

I've seen plenty of posts about the handbrake on these cars going slack and there being no way to adjust the adjuster but when I was having a fiddle before my MOT last year I just happened to find a way to reset the adjuster so the handbrake only travels a few clicks like it should.

I've done it on my 1.8 Zetec and my grandfather's 2.0 Ghia (a little more difficult with the different center console) and it was a simple job. Hopefully I can describe it well enough so people can do it. It does't last forever but should last many months or a year.

You need access to the adjuster mechanism (on my car simply remove the tray and the coin slots so you can view it). Lift the handbrake, shove a screwdriver between two points that lock the adjuster in place, push the handbrake down, put it all back together. It was alittle more awkward on the automatic ghia, had to remove a bit of the console to get to it but easy enough.

I've attached a picture to show where I put the screwdriver too.

Attached Thumbnails

• handbrake.jpg

• ChrisMcBard likes this

#2 sgking

sgking

ST200 Limited Ghia X

• Members
  • 6505 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:car

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

nice one.
Mondeo 2000 ST24

Mondeo ST200 Limited Edition no 181/300 'Ghia X'

#3 dave21031963

dave21031963

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo si 16v

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

sounds a daft question but do you leave the screw driver in?

#4 Chuck buckles

Chuck buckles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk1
  • Name:Dave

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:55 AM

I had a go at doing this over the weekend. The adjuster resets but when I release the handbrake it pops the adjuster cam back to its current position, where the handbrake has more travel than it should.
So instead of 4 clicks it had 6 or 7. It holds the car ok and there is more travel still in the adjuster.
Wondering if I should slacken it off and release the handbrake adjusters at the drums before resetting the handbrake and trying again to reduce the travel.
It's not a great issue but I'd rather know if the handbrake adjuster is worn now and needs replacing bridge the mot in Jan when it's too cold.
Anyone know if the handbrake can fail for too much travel even if it holds the car fine?

#5 mondy zetecs

mondy zetecs

Clever Clauggs

• Members
  • 4157 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.5l v6 2002
  • Name:Harry

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:11 AM

Depends on the MOT tester my mk3 handbrake came right up loose after new rear calipers fitted, didn't get time/weather/ to tighten the cable a few turns but held the rear wheels and got a advisory on MOT and passed.

Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost 2014

#6 Chuck buckles

Chuck buckles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk1
  • Name:Dave

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:17 PM

POPULAR

Update on my handbrake issue. Thought the cable was stretched and was about to replace it. When I looked at the rear drums the handbrake cable had popped off its mounting point so think it was then only working on one side.
  • siruncle likes this

#7 ChrisMcBard

ChrisMcBard

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK1 Ford Ranger XLT
  • Name:Chris McBard

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:01 PM

Thank you!!

Garage trying to charge me £150 to adjust the parking brake. They do it to me every MOT and only adjust it a tiny amount. I'm gonna take it in this time rock solid.

#8 ChrisMcBard

ChrisMcBard

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK1 Ford Ranger XLT
  • Name:Chris McBard

Posted 18 January 2021 - 02:16 PM

Nevermind, didn't work for me in a mk2 auto LX. Different handbrake rachet by the look of it.
There are also no adjusters in my drum brakes so I guess I'm going to put my life in the hands of 4 axle stands =[

Edited by ChrisMcBard, 18 January 2021 - 02:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users