Need Help! Mk1 Fiesta - Ford Fiesta Mk1 / Mk2 / Mk3 Forum - (1976-1995) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Need Help! Mk1 Fiesta

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 robeish

robeish

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

Hey,

My 1981 1300 fiesta ghia is pissing me off!
It is over-fuelling I think because it kind of runs when high revs but will not run at low revs. Just sound wave cleaned the carb and fit all new parts from a carb kit, but it's just as bad.. The carb is from an xr2 but it was fine for about a year and now all of a sudden it's gone! There is a brand new weber carb for it on eBay but before I spend anymore money on carb I wanted to see if anyone knew if it might be something different!

Would appreciate any help anyone can offer a lot!

Thanks,
Rob.

#2 siruncle

siruncle

munching bananas

• Global Moderator
  • 18998 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:St150
  • Name:Pete

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:52 PM

an xr2 carb will overfuel, as xr2's are 1600's, you'd need to fiddle with the fuel/air mix to get it to work, i presume you're all connected back up correctly and you have replaced all gaskets etc with new ones after cleaning mating faces,

were the parts in the carb kit correct?

when you say it won't run at low revs you mean it won't idle at all on its own?
<p><p>From Rutland, Leicestershire or Northamptonshire? Join the Rutland Group, http://www.talkford....land-area-page/ Leicestershire, http://www.talkford....leicestershire/ or Northamptonshire, http://www.talkford....rthamptonshire/2000 (W) Mondeo Mk2 Ghia 2.0 Hatch in Stardust Silver, now has company, a 2000 (W) Transit Smiley :) 2.5di (ish), in diamond white, with a blue stripe. (pics coming soon). Also 05 Fiesta St150 in colorado red. This is Ford country, listen quietly and you can hear Vauxhalls rusting :)

#3 robeish

robeish

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

Yeah the gaskets have all been replaced and the everything looks as it should. Thats why it's frustrating that it isn't working! Do you think getting the correct carb would sort the problem?

Thanks for your help

& no it won't run at idle at all anymore

#4 SoundsDigital

SoundsDigital

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo TDCi
  • Name:Mark

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

The original carburetors gave lots of problems. We used to replace them with Weber carburetors all the time. Never had any acceptable results overhauling the Ford carburetors.

#5 nilagin

nilagin

ME

• Members
  • 5869 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Focus RS
  • Name:Neil

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

The original carburetors gave lots of problems. We used to replace them with Weber carburetors all the time. Never had any acceptable results overhauling the Ford carburetors.

I thought all mk1 1.3 Fiesta's had weber twin chokes, my '81 1.3 GL did. Only Ford carbs that I'm aware of being a problem and people replaced were the VV carbs which were single choke and if I remember rightly were used later. MY '85 1.6 Capri had one.
robeish is your fiesta engine modified in any other way? I wouldn't have thought an XR2 carb would be ideal and prone to over fuel anyway as it is jetted differently to what you should have. I'd stick to what is supposed to be on the car unless the engine is modified.

67 Plate Shadow Black Focus RS  ;)

#6 robeish

robeish

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

Yeah they are twin choke as well as the xr2.. It's just odd how it worked perfectly for the whole time I've had it and now all of a sudden it won't even start...

Guess I'll try a correct second hand carb & if that don't work it's getting a zetec!

Thought old cars were meant to be simple!!

#7 siruncle

siruncle

munching bananas

• Global Moderator
  • 18998 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:St150
  • Name:Pete

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

don't forget though, going zetec creates problems... no more points condenser and dizzy... fuel pumps are electric...

i'd try the carb first, at a scrappy i'd be looking at £5-10 tops.
<p><p>From Rutland, Leicestershire or Northamptonshire? Join the Rutland Group, http://www.talkford....land-area-page/ Leicestershire, http://www.talkford....leicestershire/ or Northamptonshire, http://www.talkford....rthamptonshire/2000 (W) Mondeo Mk2 Ghia 2.0 Hatch in Stardust Silver, now has company, a 2000 (W) Transit Smiley :) 2.5di (ish), in diamond white, with a blue stripe. (pics coming soon). Also 05 Fiesta St150 in colorado red. This is Ford country, listen quietly and you can hear Vauxhalls rusting :)

#8 harby

harby

Little Megger

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk1 24v
  • Name:Paul

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:22 PM

Sounds like the idle jet circuit is either blocked or over fuelling, the XR2 carb works fine on the 1300 with just a bit of fine tuning, I've done it to a few 1300's. If you've recently cleaned it perhaps a bit of sediment has loosened off and blocked a jet or air bleed?

The other thing to do at the same time is the timing, is it a later model with the contactless ignition or older with points?
Mk1 Mondeo State Blue 1996 2.0 Ghia X saloon, 76,000 miles, 1 prev. owner, full RS kit.
Mk1 Mondeo Aubergine 1996 2.5 Ghia X estate, 2 prev. owners, full phase 2 RS kit
RIP Mk1 Mondeo Nouveau Red 1995 24v saloon with full factory RS kit
Mk1 Fiesta 1981 1700cc kent engine with 244 cam, Ford motorsport IDF 40's, fiesta championship exhaust manifold, roller rockers, stage 3 ported head with unleaded stage 2 valves, balanced and pocketed 1300 pistons, fully balanced crank and clutch, polished, lightened and balanced conrods, rebuilt RS Turbo g'box, cortina sump, duplex chain, High pressure and flow oil pump, XR2 wiring and interior, rally arches, RS roof spoiler, RS steering wheel, 16" Dimma Compomotive 3 piece split rims, Headlamp wash, single wiper, harnesses, camber adjustable front suspension, nylon bushes all over, adjustable rear shocks, rear strut brace. 56,000 miles and been in family from new.
ZZR1200 2002 in silver, 164,000 miles, retired
Dodge Ram 1500 2007 5.7 Hemi V8 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab, short bed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users