Air circulation controls stuck on de-mist. - Page 2 - Air-Con / Heating (Mk1/Mk2 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Air circulation controls stuck on de-mist.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#11 siruncle

siruncle

munching bananas

• Global Moderator
  • 18998 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:St150
  • Name:Pete

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

That'd be me, with all the bits out the vacuum thingy flying all over the place!

I would have given up, and got another one... lol
<p><p>From Rutland, Leicestershire or Northamptonshire? Join the Rutland Group, http://www.talkford....land-area-page/ Leicestershire, http://www.talkford....leicestershire/ or Northamptonshire, http://www.talkford....rthamptonshire/2000 (W) Mondeo Mk2 Ghia 2.0 Hatch in Stardust Silver, now has company, a 2000 (W) Transit Smiley :) 2.5di (ish), in diamond white, with a blue stripe. (pics coming soon). Also 05 Fiesta St150 in colorado red. This is Ford country, listen quietly and you can hear Vauxhalls rusting :)

#12 Automondeo

Automondeo

Big Daddy

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk2 2lt Ghia Auto
  • Name:Steve

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

lol, i had given up trying to put it back together last night, so much so that i was straight onto ebay eager to give my paypal account a little exercise. But after my success today with restoring vacuum to that part of the dash i made another attempt at putting it back together, lol, it was back together and working within 20 mins, i must have been too tired last night. Oh well, at least i have a spare on it's way, along with a new air-con/air recirculation control!

R reg 1997 Mondeo 2.0lt Ghia 4 Door Saloon Auto. No mods. Gearbox from a later black topped engined car successfully transplanted in place of my original box. (I have a copy of the CD4E service manual - if you need anything, let me know).

#13 adam03957

adam03957

Aussie Mondy Fiddler

• Members
  • 376 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mk2 mondeo
  • Name:Adam Owen-Jones

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

Maybe do a colour change on the spare and give the interior a new look? I spent about 40 hours in total on my clocks and now they are "race spec" the needles are set to change colour ie rev needle goes blue, green above 5k then red after 6.5k, 160km/h on speedo is red to remind me to slow down temps got green zone etc etc
"Axiom No. 1: Regardless of the rules, the cost of competition will always exceed the funds available." -- Brock Yates
"...and another thing, when I gun the motor I want people to think the world is coming to an end." --Homer Simpson
“Racing cars are neither beautiful nor ugly. They become beautiful when they win.” --Enzo Ferrari
"The cost of racing hasn't increased in 30 years. Back then, it took everything you had. And it still does." -- Unknown
"One of the comforting things about racing is that the clock doesn't lie. You either rule or you suck - end of story. " - Lisa Kosglow
"No Fear? Hell, you're not goin' fast enough!" -- Colin Botha's bumper

"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines." -- Enzo Ferrari
"Turbos make torque, and torque makes fun." Corky Bell

#14 ste_h

ste_h

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

Hi All, I have had the same problem for a while now. Directional control will only demist. I have stripped radio surround, kick panels near clutch as well as passenger side kick panels.
I can not see any green gunge in the t piece behind directional control. The have had at look at the feed that comes from the engine bay to near the clutch pedal. The circulation unit which has this black tube going into it has one side where you can pull a tube with a loose connector out very easily. On this side i checked for suction with the engine running and could not really feel anything which begs my question.

1) should i be able to feel a suction? I was going to blow smoke! Lol

1a) where is the feed that comes from the engine side, i can not find a t piece only a rubber tube in this kinda shape l_l .

2) the t piece spurs off from behind the radio leads one way towards the glove box and the other to the directional control getting its feed from the clutch pedal side. My question is, is this the side that ford wiki describes as been able to block off to restore control?

3) Can i just pull the black tube from t piece behind radio and similarly at the back of the directional control?

I can not see any splits or green gunk so the solution is evading me!

I have a 99 ST200 with the climate control.

Many Thanks!

#15 Automondeo

Automondeo

Big Daddy

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

Near the clutch pedal - behind and slightly above the kick panel, you should see two vacuum pipes that connect onto some kind of airbox. One of them goes up towards the controls on the dash - ignore that one for now, the other is the vacuum feed from the engine, pull this one off from the airbox and see if you have any vacuum (with engine running of course), if you have no vacuum on that pipe then you have a problem between there and the engine. If however you do have vacuum from that pipe, your problem is further up towards the controls. Pull the vacuum connectors off from both the direction control and the aircon/recirculation control, is vacuum getting to either of those plugs? If not, then the pipe that goes down to the airbox by the clutch pedal is blocked. If so, follow my post above in order to try and unblock it.

With mine, even though i had cleared the pipe and restored vacuum up to the controls, my direction controls were still not working because all of the vacuum was being lost through the faulty aircon/recirculation control - the source of the green gunge is the seal inside that control. If you cannot get hold of another aircon/recirculation control straight away, you can simply block off that plug - i just stuck a cocktail stick into it, doing that restored the vacuum to my direction controls. The aircon part of the other switch will still work, but the air recirculation part will not.

But like i say, at first you need to determine how far the vacuum from the engine is getting. On my 2lt zetec the pipe from the manifold is easy to spot, it's the only small hard plastic pipe. On mine i unplugged it from the connector on the manifold and tried to suck through it, i could not, that told me that i probably had a blocked pipe somewhere.

R reg 1997 Mondeo 2.0lt Ghia 4 Door Saloon Auto. No mods. Gearbox from a later black topped engined car successfully transplanted in place of my original box. (I have a copy of the CD4E service manual - if you need anything, let me know).

#16 ste_h

ste_h

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

Hi Thanks for your reply. It is the feed on the right coming from the engine side that has no vacuum. I have done a smoke test to check this. I will try to blow or suck through to see what the effects are.

Totally sick just got air-con charged yesterday ready for it and now that has lost its cool. Clutch seems to be kicking in but nothing happens. This i think may be another problem for another day!

#17 Automondeo

Automondeo

Big Daddy

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

I am not sure what route the vacuum feed takes from the engine, on mine it comes from the manifold and then goes down behind and below the ABS unit, from there i am not sure how it gets down near the clutch pedal. I guess you will have to do a 'suck' test on that pipe to find out if it's broken or blocked. If blocked, maybe the green gunge as found it's way all the way down to that pipe. On mine it got nearly down to the connections by the clutch pedal.
Good luck in tracing it.

#18 Rammer 46

Rammer 46

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo Mk.1 and 2
  • Name:George Smith

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

Hi All

I had exacly the same problem, looked all over but could not see any obvious , I took off the three connecting pipes behind the aircon switch and found that by blocking these off everything works as normal, tried the aircon today and everything is fine , only problem is that engaging the aircon I find that the engine seems to run sluggish as if it has fuel starvation, but that is something else I must look at,

Rammer :banana2:

#19 ste_h

ste_h

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:54 PM

Update:

I have taken to garage who can only trace the problem to a servo behind the engine. No guarantee its that job and will have to lift engine. Er no.

Air con has rotten condenser. £35 off ebay bu can not get a 8mm hexagon nut off as rounding. Its the supporting bracket for the radiators.

Rammer, which side did u block off, might have another crack! How did u block it?

#20 siruncle

siruncle

munching bananas

• Global Moderator
  • 18998 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:St150
  • Name:Pete

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:06 PM

£35 off ebay but can not get a 8mm hexagon nut off as rounding.

try a 5/16ths socket/spanner, you might have to knock it on
<p><p>From Rutland, Leicestershire or Northamptonshire? Join the Rutland Group, http://www.talkford....land-area-page/ Leicestershire, http://www.talkford....leicestershire/ or Northamptonshire, http://www.talkford....rthamptonshire/2000 (W) Mondeo Mk2 Ghia 2.0 Hatch in Stardust Silver, now has company, a 2000 (W) Transit Smiley :) 2.5di (ish), in diamond white, with a blue stripe. (pics coming soon). Also 05 Fiesta St150 in colorado red. This is Ford country, listen quietly and you can hear Vauxhalls rusting :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users