P0691 / Air Conditioning not working / Radiator Blower dead - Air-Con / Heating (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

P0691 / Air Conditioning not working / Radiator Blower dead

air con blower regulator

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Timo Karhu

Timo Karhu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo
  • Name:Timo Karhu

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

Hello Fordists,

[Mondeo MK4 Titanium TDCi 2008]

I have a Blower Regulator in my hands, and no idea how to determine should I throw it towards the waterbirds or is it working as designed.
Story is:
  • no air con. Switch in console switches "A/C ON" but no cold air produced.
  • relay under the hood gets no signal (I mean control voltage, dunno what it is called in eng.).
  • shorting relay socket output pins engages compressor, engine tune lowers, cold air is produced within few seconds
  • I never had a diesel before, I now know they produce very low heat output thus never suspected this as malfunction: radiator fan never switched on during past my 8 months owning this Mondeo Mk4. Did a test run today with high revs/speeding --> no fan, but no high temp on engine either.
  • In yearly maintenance I asked to look for A/C errors on OBD. Garage recharged (yeah right) first, no air con, then they read P0691, "Fan Control Circuit Low/The Front Control Module (FCM) has detected a short to ground in the cooling fan relay 1 control circuit"
  • After getting the code I tested
  • blower 60A fuse: ok
  • measured full volts at the connector to regulator, no or less than 1V from regulator output connector (however, not sure if fan was supposed to be on)
  • blower blew well after feeding it direct 12V from battery
Ideas? Or just buy new blower regulator eyes closed and fingers crossed and... hope.

#2 Timo Karhu

Timo Karhu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:35 AM

Talking to myself. Local dealer here told that I can't buy the regulator only. It's the whole blower assembly I need to get. Luckily the price wasn't astronomical, 'only' 156€. Not going to pay that for testing if the original part had melted or not.

#3 Timo Karhu

Timo Karhu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

Does anyone have access to mk4 wiring diagram? I'd need to find where the purple (signal) cable goes from the fan control box. I believe it's PCM/ECU, but don't even know where it is located. The signal might be light purple as well.

#4 barrie m

barrie m

TF regular

• Members
  • 1385 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:s-max 2.5t titanium

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:36 PM

The control wire from radiator fan I believe goes to the PCM. Check the main wiring loom in front of gearbox as the wires corrode in there

#5 Timo Karhu

Timo Karhu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:02 PM

POPULAR

The control wire from radiator fan I believe goes to the PCM. Check the main wiring loom in front of gearbox as the wires corrode in there

Hmm.. thanks for this info! Another garage here gave me new price for the blower assembly, 350€ (I had misheard above 150€) and he was kind enough to suggest not to buy a new blower to start with. Instead he was offering their services to replace cabling, which has been the reason for AC failures on some early mk4 Mondeos.
  • RB2004 likes this

#6 Timo Karhu

Timo Karhu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

Huh.. not easy. I located the ECU/PCM, I think I found the control wire from blower to ECU, at least colours match (pale/light purple). I get no reading on the meter, so either it's wrong wire or it's indeed cut. I pealed insulation a bit and ran another wire between blower and ECU, no A/C. As a bonus I got 'front lights malfunction' ;) but I hope that's due to front tyre missing and car is lifted.

Does anybody have wiring diagram for Mondeo MK4 2008 TDCi. Where does radiator blower control wire, pale purple with no stripes, end up (what box and what connector pin)?

#7 Timo Karhu

Timo Karhu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 01:13 PM

Okay, found the correded wire (in the junction of upper motor, gearbox & ECU/PCM). Fixed it and still no A/C. As a bonus this time I got check engine light. I have a theory that error(s) P0691 need to be reseted now for radiator fan to come back in business. Does someone know if this is true? And is there any possible way to reset OBD codes by driver?

#8 Timo Karhu

Timo Karhu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

I owe you a beer Barrie. Cleared P0691 (with Vgate Scan OBDII Bluetooth (ELM327) thingy + ZTE Blabe Android + Torque Lite) and back is the radiator fan and so is A/C. Voilà!

#9 barrie m

barrie m

TF regular

• Members
  • 1385 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:s-max 2.5t titanium

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

sorry forgot to say to clear dtc's, gald all sorted

#10 gavin1962

gavin1962

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mondeo MK4
  • Name:Gavin Rathbone

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

Hi
Just got my car's air con gassed, to find out the compressor does not cut in, nor does the radiator fan come on, this thread sounds identical to the problem i am having.
I have a 57 plate Modeo MK 4 2.0 petrol Zetec, with dual climate, it switches on an blows on all settings, heater works fine, there is power going to the radiator fan, there are 3 wires, one is purple/lilac in colour and much smaller than the other two, i think this goes to the ecu which seems hard to get to.
I see on this thread that the fault was found, but don't say how, any help would be very much appreciated.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: air con, blower, regulator

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users