Have you got trouble opening your tailgate/boot? Read more... - Security / Safety (Mk3 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Have you got trouble opening your tailgate/boot? Read more...

tailgate boot stuck locked closed open release fix latch

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 The Guv.

The Guv.

DRIVEN...

• Members
  • 4122 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:BMW 530D & 2x ST220s
  • Name:James

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:46 PM

This appears to be a very common problem, especially for those who have facelift (53-07) cars without the key barrel fitted!

Problem: Boot is closed and cannot be opened via remote or dash release.

Cause: Faulty boot release motor, sticky latch, bad connections or most likely the drivers door lock which controls all of the locks.

Fix: Replace faulty parts, clean connections, clean latch.

HOW TO OPEN THE BOOT MANUALLY

Although the key barrel wasn't fitted to the facelift MK3 Mondeos, the latch and motor mech itself is the same, and it is the same for the Hatch, Saloon and Estate.

The photos are from an Estate, I no longer have any hatchbacks or saloons but from what I can gather the trims on all of them can be removed from the inside while it's closed- at least enough to get the access you need.

You will need a length of wire such as a welding rod or a wire coathanger, make a straight length with a small 'hook' at the end. As in a ghetto key lol.

You will then pass this down the trim, through the metal surround of the latch and hook on to the manual release loop as in the photos below. Once you've got it, give it a tug and the boot will open without having broken any trim or damaged any paintwork!

The photos below should be enough to give you an idea, and I modded mine to have an emergency release 'tab'- otherwise known as a cable tie! That way, although I've fixed the issue, I can always manually open the boot if needs be (without having a bit of wire to shape!).

On the Estate you don't actually need to remove the screws to give you access but it would help first timmers. The entire trim can be popped off while the boot is shut as it's only the two screws in the grab handles and some trim clips that hold it on.

PHOTOS

mondeo boot latch diag 1.jpg

mondeo boot latch diag 2.jpg

mondeo boot latch diag 3.jpg

Hope this helps! Good luck!

I could rebuild a Mondeo from the ground up with my eyes closed... that's thanks to owning a TDCI.

#2 siruncle

siruncle

munching bananas

• Global Moderator
  • 18984 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:St150
  • Name:Pete

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:59 PM

i had trouble opening the boot of a mondy once, til i got a master key... :naughty:

Attached Thumbnails

• gorilla bar.jpg

<p>From Rutland, Leicestershire or Northamptonshire? Join the Rutland Group, http://www.talkford....land-area-page/ Leicestershire, http://www.talkford....leicestershire/ or Northamptonshire, http://www.talkford....rthamptonshire/2000 (W) Mondeo Mk2 Ghia 2.0 Hatch in Stardust Silver, now has company, a 2000 (W) Transit Smiley :) 2.5di (ish), in diamond white, with a blue stripe. (pics coming soon). Also now got a
02 zetec-s 2.5 in Panther Black and an 05 Fiesta St150 in colorado red

This is Ford country, listen quietly and you can hear Vauxhalls rusting :)

#3 The Guv.

The Guv.

DRIVEN...

• Members
  • 4122 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

I've seen someone use that key before, hence this post lol... Looked like he reversed in to a tank.

I could rebuild a Mondeo from the ground up with my eyes closed... that's thanks to owning a TDCI.

#4 siruncle

siruncle

munching bananas

• Global Moderator
  • 18984 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:St150
  • Name:Pete

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

getting the trim panels off the bootlid whilst shut in my experience usually entails lots of foul language and the need for half a box of plasters...

<p>From Rutland, Leicestershire or Northamptonshire? Join the Rutland Group, http://www.talkford....land-area-page/ Leicestershire, http://www.talkford....leicestershire/ or Northamptonshire, http://www.talkford....rthamptonshire/2000 (W) Mondeo Mk2 Ghia 2.0 Hatch in Stardust Silver, now has company, a 2000 (W) Transit Smiley :) 2.5di (ish), in diamond white, with a blue stripe. (pics coming soon). Also now got a
02 zetec-s 2.5 in Panther Black and an 05 Fiesta St150 in colorado red

This is Ford country, listen quietly and you can hear Vauxhalls rusting :)

#5 The Guv.

The Guv.

DRIVEN...

• Members
  • 4122 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:54 AM

If you pull from the top middle you'll get enough off. It's hard to fully remove as (at least on the estate) you have two dampeners either side at the bottom which hit buffer pads on the main bodywork so probs best to not bother fully removing it, there's no need as it won't really give anymore access. And even fully removed you have to use the manual release to get any further as the screw heads for the mech is under the tailgate anyway.

#6 craigbrown79

craigbrown79

Big Megger

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo TDCI 130 6

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:40 AM

Yep just had that issue, first baby arrives 7 days old we go to the shops, boot opens fine to get pram out, do shopping come back wife's feeling very crabby littlin crying goes to pop the boot and it doesn't work!! Ten mins later shopping in the boot via the back seats and pram, gets back home ten mins later and the furling thing works fine. Quick trip to ford and one new mech later (£74) as they don't sell the solenoid separate!!!

Has anyone fitted a key lock onto a facelift model?? Don't mind carrying a key in the glovebox for emergency to open boot.
Craig Brown
aka landy79

Mondeo TDCI 6 Speed, LED Puddle lights, LED Brake Lights, rear footwell lights, LED boot striplights, LED footwell lights,

#7 The Guv.

The Guv.

DRIVEN...

• Members
  • 4122 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

Yes you can retro fit it, but you'll have to either have a key from a donor car or pay a small fortune to Ford for them to make a lock barrel that is for your existing keys. Personally the cable tie does the job for emergencies.

#8 craigbrown79

craigbrown79

Big Megger

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo TDCI 130 6

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

Has anyone done a wiki on retro fitting a key?
Craig Brown
aka landy79

Mondeo TDCI 6 Speed, LED Puddle lights, LED Brake Lights, rear footwell lights, LED boot striplights, LED footwell lights,

#9 ebrapup

ebrapup

Megger

• Members
  • 770 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk3 Ghia X

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

My boot wont open on my pre facelift estate. IO've replace the dash switch as it was the easiest/cheapest. Still didnt work...

So I just press the boot button on the key and it opens - suggesting the motor etc is working fully.

So I'm guessing its my drivers doort lock thats playing up as there are other minor issues with my locking:

NSR door wont lock, but unlocks ok.

Drivers door only locks when you double lock it.
Car *sometimes* locks/unlocks its self on the move.
Mk3 TDdi Ghia X Est, medium steel blue
Mods done: Clear repeaters. Coloured bumper mouldings. Blue stitched gear lever gaitor and arm rest.

#10 Mop

Mop

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

My boot won't open using the key (electronically or with the keyhole under the boot handle), with the rubber handle switch or the button in the front. My mechanism looks quite different to the one pictured above (mk3 2002 sedan) though. Would I be right in saying the lock is probably just a bit stiff? Or am I likely to need a new mechanism?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tailgate, boot, stuck, locked, closed, open, release, fix, latch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users