MK 2 blower direction-a solution ! - Air-Con / Heating (Mk1/Mk2 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

MK 2 blower direction-a solution !

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wheelie

wheelie

Little Megger

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:36 PM

POPULAR

evening all
have had the usual problem with the blower direction on my 2.0 ghia x for a while now,(windscreen only) and today decided to get it sorted before winter turns up and me feet get frostbite.
got the radio out with a couple of strategically bent bits of coat hanger wire, and then removed the heater panel as per mr haynes instructions' so far so good.

On checking the vacuum lines to the blower direction switch, i discovered that the rubber T piece was blocked with the green sealant they use at the factory to make an air tight seal at the switch end (i presume thats what its for ).
tried to clear it with a 6" bit of copper wire but it was only pushing the blob further up the pipe.
ended up cutting a very fine slit in the T piece with a scalpel (where the two black vacuum pipes intersect) and hooking the green blob out that way.
you have to flex the "T" open to get at it, but with a bit of care, was ok.
sealed the now cut open "T" with the same scalpel ,held over a flame (used the mrs's lighter ) till it started to glow red. then put it into the cut and closed it over the hot blade to melt both sides together.
then quickly slid the blade out and held the slit closed for a few moments while the rubber cooled. used the hot blade to make a good seal on the surface, and when it had cooled, used some rubber weld glue over the cut just to make sure.
see photo below.
Posted Image

also found that the connector plug at the switch end was bunged up with the same green gunge, it was the white pipe at the one o'clock position in the next photo. completely blocked solid. so i used a needle to scrape it all out.

http://Posted Image

the blockage went down the pipe by about an inch,so a bit of perseverance is required ! put the switches back on and robert's your fathers' brother, the force ten breeze was going exactly where the direction switch said it should.

thats my story, so before you go lashing out 20 thousand quid at Frauds on a new switch, give it a go.
hope this helps someone.

regards..........Ian
  • Kaibakorg likes this

2011 MK4 Titanium X sport. Lunar Sky. The works.

#2 sgking

sgking

ST200 Limited Ghia X

• Members
  • 6505 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:car

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:13 PM

in 5 mondeos ive never had this problem but im waiting for it to happen.

this info is really interesting and i will bear it in mind for when i find myself dealing with it.

nice one :)
Mondeo 2000 ST24

Mondeo ST200 Limited Edition no 181/300 'Ghia X'

#3 PRC Ghost Rider

PRC Ghost Rider

The Mad Kiwi

• Members
  • 3848 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:JDM Mk3 Mondeo ST220
  • Name:Brick Top

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:03 AM

Also a note to keep in mind. Sometimes the seal between the switch and the hoses isn't particularly good so I'd get a couple of switches from a scrappy first unless you can see the green shite in there. I paid $14 for a pair of switches at the scrappy here and I had full heater control once I swapped out the switch. All it was was a dodgy seal around the hoses due to the switch.

While I think of it, can someone please sticky this thread?

Proud owner of a 2005 Mondeo ST220. Big upgrade from the tired old 1997 ST24, which went out in a blaze of glory fighting off Hondas and BMWs

If its got tits or tyres, it'll give you trouble......

Have you ever noticed? Anyone going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a moron

#4 Kaibakorg

Kaibakorg

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk2 GHIA V6
  • Name:Richard

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:51 AM

Hi thanks for putting up this info and photos, my blower has been driving me mad in the recent hot weather !

My blower would pass through the face vents for about a minute before defaulting back to the screen again :|

I initially found some of the famous blue/green gunk on the switch but after clearing this, still no good.

When i found this post i decided to have another go, after gaining access to the connector shown in the photo and blocking it off with my finger the blower control came back to life !

My fix was to put some insulation tape tightly over the three holes on the plug going to the fan speed switch and clip back into place, now the system works fine again !! :) Obviously i now don't have recirculated air but it wont be missed as i've never used it !

Edited by siruncle, 12 December 2017 - 08:45 PM.

#5 Rico1979

Rico1979

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk2
  • Name:Rick

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:59 PM

Hi guys.

Are these pipes supposed to flow freely or are they supposed to have a fair bit of resistance?

I have a Mk2 2.0 and the direction hasn't worked since I got it. I thought it may have been the diaphragm so I got one from the scrap yard and it still didn't work. The red and the yellow pipes seem very restricted in flow.

Could this be the cause?

The T seems to be fine and intact, but I do get a bit of hissing which is just audible on idle and carries on for about 5 seconds after switch off.

Also, another query, where on earth do the black and white pipes go to? I've tried to trace them back but they disappear over the top of the steering column and don't seem to re-appear..

#6 siruncle

siruncle

munching bananas

• Global Moderator
  • 18995 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:St150
  • Name:Pete

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:37 PM

Just thought i'd add this diagram to this topic as the diagram shows what happens in the pipework off the 'plug' shown in the pics, if you've failure of just one part, you might be able to diagnose the colour of the pipe at fault, before you even start taking it to bits, lol

Attached Thumbnails

• 2010-05-15_211606_cougar1.gif

<p>From Rutland, Leicestershire or Northamptonshire? Join the Rutland Group, http://www.talkford....land-area-page/ Leicestershire, http://www.talkford....leicestershire/ or Northamptonshire, http://www.talkford....rthamptonshire/2000 (W) Mondeo Mk2 Ghia 2.0 Hatch in Stardust Silver, now has company, a 2000 (W) Transit Smiley :) 2.5di (ish), in diamond white, with a blue stripe. (pics coming soon). Also now got a
02 zetec-s 2.5 in Panther Black and an 05 Fiesta St150 in colorado red

This is Ford country, listen quietly and you can hear Vauxhalls rusting :)

#7 Harkonnen

Harkonnen

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk2
  • Name:Erik

Posted 07 June 2018 - 09:39 PM

Thank you guys, you're all life savers! I had tried and look it up in a couple of forums, and yet here you all are talking about the same problem I have since I got the car! (3 years ago). I will try and repair the problem!

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

#8 megaoetzwuchst

megaoetzwuchst

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mondeo

Posted 27 January 2019 - 05:32 PM

Still saving lives in 2019 - On my car the green gunk seems to have killed part of the hydraulic inside/outside air switch (the one on the right that only has 3 hydraulic tubes) . I disconnected the tubes and blocked the black pipe going to that switch - and the direction switch is working again. Now sourcing a new switch.

The hardest part of the job for me was to get out the console with all the hidden snaps.

Edited by megaoetzwuchst, 27 January 2019 - 05:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users