Water Leak/Pollen Filter Query - Air-Con / Heating (Mk1/Mk2 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Water Leak/Pollen Filter Query

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 molley

molley

Little Megger

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:00 PM

I hope this is the appropriate place for this query. I have a Mk 2 Mondeo and a few days ago noticed a small amount of water on the front passenger rubber mat .I wasn't sure where it had come from and at first suspected a botle of water in the glove box but the box was dry .I dried it up but after some more rain it was back again although it is not a lot . I searched in here and found the likely culprit to be the pollen filter or housing . I took the passenger side "Grille" off and the filter was filthy so I cleaned out all the leaves etc in that area and have since bought a new filter but I saw that ,apart from both the screw caps holding the "grille" being missing one of the plastic plugs and the accompanying screw was missing . My intention is to also remove the housing from the bulkhead and reseal it with silicone but meantime I wondered if rain could have got in where the plug and screw are missing ...

I also wondered if the rubber seal that fits on the top of the "grille" against the windscreen is just held there by pressure from the "grille" as it came away when I removed it .

Anyone know if the plugs/caps and screws can be obtained from Ford .Plasterboard plugs seem to be shorter than the one used

#2 EvoUK

EvoUK

Big Buttie Megger

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 10:57 AM

You'll find if you re-seal the pollen filter housing it will stop the rain getting in. It's a common problem with Mondeos. The plastic black grill isn't the problem. Mine doesn't have a rubber seal that you mention but I doubt it will make any difference as rain water gets into the scuttle gulley anyway regardless if the grill was sealed up. Just make sure the drainage channels are clear. I'm sure Ford still sell them but were the screw is missing won't effect if water gets in or not. I used roofing sealant as some peeps use normal silicone sealant which wont last. Apply a good thick bead of sealant on both the filter housing and bulkhead and the jobs done.

Mondeo ST24 Medium Steel Blue   NOW SOLD

Mondeo Mk4 Titanium X TDCI140 Panther Black with RS 18" alloys.

#3 molley

molley

Little Megger

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 11:12 AM

You'll find if you re-seal the pollen filter housing it will stop the rain getting in. It's a common problem with Mondeos. The plastic black grill isn't the problem. Mine doesn't have a rubber seal that you mention but I doubt it will make any difference as rain water gets into the scuttle gulley anyway regardless if the grill was sealed up. Just make sure the drainage channels are clear. I'm sure Ford still sell them but were the screw is missing won't effect if water gets in or not. I used roofing sealant as some peeps use normal silicone sealant which wont last. Apply a good thick bead of sealant on both the filter housing and bulkhead and the jobs done.

Thanks for that ....I'll do the job when I'm sure it isn't going to rain. I have found a tube of Seelastik which I guess will do the job .thx again

#4 harby

harby

Little Megger

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:31 AM

I've had a car where the pollen filter had never been changed and had collapsed, this was letting water in and the fan was sucking in water as well, changed the filter and all was good.
Mk1 Mondeo State Blue 1996 2.0 Ghia X saloon, 76,000 miles, 1 prev. owner, full RS kit.
Mk1 Mondeo Aubergine 1996 2.5 Ghia X estate, 2 prev. owners, full phase 2 RS kit
RIP Mk1 Mondeo Nouveau Red 1995 24v saloon with full factory RS kit
Mk1 Fiesta 1981 1700cc kent engine with 244 cam, Ford motorsport IDF 40's, fiesta championship exhaust manifold, roller rockers, stage 3 ported head with unleaded stage 2 valves, balanced and pocketed 1300 pistons, fully balanced crank and clutch, polished, lightened and balanced conrods, rebuilt RS Turbo g'box, cortina sump, duplex chain, High pressure and flow oil pump, XR2 wiring and interior, rally arches, RS roof spoiler, RS steering wheel, 16" Dimma Compomotive 3 piece split rims, Headlamp wash, single wiper, harnesses, camber adjustable front suspension, nylon bushes all over, adjustable rear shocks, rear strut brace. 56,000 miles and been in family from new.
ZZR1200 2002 in silver, 164,000 miles, retired
Dodge Ram 1500 2007 5.7 Hemi V8 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab, short bed

#5 EvoUK

EvoUK

Big Buttie Megger

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:08 PM

I've had a car where the pollen filter had never been changed and had collapsed, this was letting water in and the fan was sucking in water as well, changed the filter and all was good.

Yes...seem people forget about the pollen filter in all types of cars. They need to be changed as specified in the makers service manual. Also it won't do the fan any good if water gets into it.

Mondeo ST24 Medium Steel Blue   NOW SOLD

Mondeo Mk4 Titanium X TDCI140 Panther Black with RS 18" alloys.

#6 siruncle

siruncle

munching bananas

• Global Moderator
  • 18998 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:20 PM

For your information...

The first mk1 mondeo's had open vents all the way along the black grille, but as a result of a lot of wet carpets, ford changed the grilles so the passenger side one has no vents in it and the air now enters through the drivers side and across into the filter. hence reducing the likelihood of water ingress into the pollen filter and onto your carpet.
<p><p>From Rutland, Leicestershire or Northamptonshire? Join the Rutland Group, http://www.talkford....land-area-page/ Leicestershire, http://www.talkford....leicestershire/ or Northamptonshire, http://www.talkford....rthamptonshire/2000 (W) Mondeo Mk2 Ghia 2.0 Hatch in Stardust Silver, now has company, a 2000 (W) Transit Smiley :) 2.5di (ish), in diamond white, with a blue stripe. (pics coming soon). Also 05 Fiesta St150 in colorado red. This is Ford country, listen quietly and you can hear Vauxhalls rusting :)

#7 molley

molley

Little Megger

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:00 PM

For your information...

The first mk1 mondeo's had open vents all the way along the black grille, but as a result of a lot of wet carpets, ford changed the grilles so the passenger side one has no vents in it and the air now enters through the drivers side and across into the filter. hence reducing the likelihood of water ingress into the pollen filter and onto your carpet.

Oh so that's how the air gets in ..I had been thinking neither of the "grilles" were actual grilles..........Well I took it all to pieces this afternoon ,cleaned the bulkhead behind the housing and brushed out all the dust in the channel,applied a bead of black sealant around the grid and on the back of the filter holder and put it all back together again...I hope it works ...I'll wait for rain to arrive .

#8 siruncle

siruncle

munching bananas

• Global Moderator
  • 18998 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:13 PM

I take it you checked the two drain holes on either end of the panel by the wings were clear. If these are not clear it allows water to build up behind it, and then the only place it can in is into the pollen filter or down grommets into the passenger compartment.
<p><p>From Rutland, Leicestershire or Northamptonshire? Join the Rutland Group, http://www.talkford....land-area-page/ Leicestershire, http://www.talkford....leicestershire/ or Northamptonshire, http://www.talkford....rthamptonshire/2000 (W) Mondeo Mk2 Ghia 2.0 Hatch in Stardust Silver, now has company, a 2000 (W) Transit Smiley :) 2.5di (ish), in diamond white, with a blue stripe. (pics coming soon). Also 05 Fiesta St150 in colorado red. This is Ford country, listen quietly and you can hear Vauxhalls rusting :)

#9 molley

molley

Little Megger

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:53 PM

I take it you checked the two drain holes on either end of the panel by the wings were clear. If these are not clear it allows water to build up behind it, and then the only place it can in is into the pollen filter or down grommets into the passenger compartment.

Well I can see one on the drivers side ( I take it it's right in the corner as near to the w/screen as you can get) but I couldn't see a similar one on the pass'rs side . I'll have another look tomorrow ..I did try the washers then poured some water over the windscreen and it came out just behind both front wheels .

#10 siruncle

siruncle

munching bananas

• Global Moderator
  • 18998 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:18 PM

should be good then mate. its worth giving them a poke (not being rude!) every now and then to make sure they are clear. The black screw caps are a sh1t to put on, i think there might be a knack to it.
Did you not notice the drivers side grille has vents when you did the job?