mondeo bottom ball joint boot split - Suspension / Wheels / Brakes / Steering (Mk3 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

mondeo bottom ball joint boot split

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jeepster1961

jeepster1961

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 02:18 PM

Hi all, replaced the osf coil spring a couple of months ago after it broke.

Any how always meant to replace the nearside and was hoping to get this done this weekend, any how jacked up the car, and took off the wheel and disc and have noticed a slight nick in the boot that covers the bottom ball joint, there is no play in the joint or vibration when driving.

is it possible to just replace the boot, or is it a new wishbone?
Is it a difficult job to replace the wishbone, do i have to remove the subframe or can i just lower the subframe.

I do loads of motorway driving and have noticed no vibration even at motorway speeds under heavy braking, so am sure there is no wear on the ball joint.

would you replace both wishbones?

where did you get your wishbone from

thanks

#2 The Guv.

The Guv.

DRIVEN...

• Members
  • 4122 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:BMW 530D & 2x ST220s
  • Name:James

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:13 PM

Always replace anything to do with brakes, suspension or steering in pairs.

You could try finding a replacement boot?

I could rebuild a Mondeo from the ground up with my eyes closed... that's thanks to owning a TDCI.

#3 totalguy

totalguy

TDDI Buff

• Members
  • 37060 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo tddi

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:41 PM

Any how always meant to replace the nearside and was hoping to get this done this weekend, any how jacked up the car, and took off the wheel and disc and have noticed a slight nick in the boot that covers the bottom ball joint, there is no play in the joint or vibration when driving.

Is it a difficult job to replace the wishbone, do i have to remove the subframe or can i just lower the subframe.

I do loads of motorway driving and have noticed no vibration even at motorway speeds under heavy braking, so am sure there is no wear on the ball joint.

thanks

options are replace wishbone or replace the ball joint but it is easier to replace the wishbone. you can lower the subframe you dont need to remove it. click ford wiki in my sig i did a how to for doing the lower arm. you only need to replace 1 wishbone thats fine if it were springs or shocks then both sides should be done but the rest is fine to do 1 of.
51 plate ghia x tddi with extra oomph

Boost Pressure = ((MAP x 10) - BARO)/6.895 (use with F-Super readings)

My Blog http://abitoveverything.blogspot.co.uk

#4 jeepster1961

jeepster1961

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:33 AM

thanks

options are replace wishbone or replace the ball joint but it is easier to replace the wishbone. you can lower the subframe you dont need to remove it. click ford wiki in my sig i did a how to for doing the lower arm. you only need to replace 1 wishbone thats fine if it were springs or shocks then both sides should be done but the rest is fine to do 1 of.

Hi offside spring broke a day after going into a pot hole last winter, but will replace other spring next weekend.

Totalguy, i read your wiki, very comprehensive, would it be easier to remove the strut on that side? also where would you get your wishbones from, the ones on ebay seem too cheap?

#5 totalguy

totalguy

TDDI Buff

• Members
  • 37060 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo tddi

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:18 PM

got mine off ebay £23 the passenger one is older its done 15k over a year and a half the drivers one has done 10k

why you removing the strut to do the spring? if so take the whole leg out, hub n all save messing with the hub to strut pinch bolt.

as for the wiki i thought best to be thorough for an idiots guide lol. that way as people read it they can relate to the parts on the car easy :)
51 plate ghia x tddi with extra oomph

Boost Pressure = ((MAP x 10) - BARO)/6.895 (use with F-Super readings)

My Blog http://abitoveverything.blogspot.co.uk

#6 mikeup

mikeup

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:tdci 130 05 Estate

Posted 25 October 2020 - 03:13 PM

You just need to replace the boot.

Gain access and thoroughly clean boot rubber.
Do not take anything apart, other than what you need to gain access to boot.

You now have two options.

Neither involve taking off old boot, but it must be clean as you're going to superglue the new boot over the top.

Option one.
Cut the new boot and cover the inside liberally with superglue (wear, non rubber gloves) fit over/around old boot ( line up split away from damaged area on old boot) firmly until glue has set. Try to close split as much as you can.

Fit small black ziplock to top. Cut off excess. This is just for looks, the glue is what's going to hold it in place.

Option 2

Gain access to ball joint, as above clean, such that you can put new rubber boot over old whole. Some dissasembly required to free top of ball joint. Clean and put glue on outside of old rubber or inside of new. Fit, hold until glue sets. You can now if you wish fit some metal clip band etc or again, as above, fit black ziplock.

#7 mikeup

mikeup

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 25 October 2020 - 03:21 PM

You just need to replace the boot.

Gain access and thoroughly clean boot rubber.
Do not take anything apart, other than what you need to gain access to boot.

You now have two options.

Neither involve taking off old boot, but it must be clean as you're going to superglue the new boot over the top.

Option one.
Cut the new boot and cover the inside liberally with superglue (wear, non rubber gloves) fit over/around old boot ( line up split away from damaged area on old boot) firmly until glue has set. Try to close split as much as you can.

Fit small black ziplock to top. Cut off excess. This is just for looks, the glue is what's going to hold it in place.

Option 2

Gain access to ball joint, as above clean, such that you can put new rubber boot over old whole. Some dissasembly required to free top of ball joint. Clean and put glue on outside of old rubber or inside of new. Fit, hold until glue sets. You can now if you wish fit some metal clip band etc or again, as above, fit black ziplock.

#8 Tulejumal

Tulejumal

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk3 2,0 Tddi
  • Name:Dave

Posted 27 October 2020 - 09:03 PM

POPULAR

I would just replace the ball joint. 
I think it takes less time than messing around with superglue 
Even if you succeed, chances are there is moisture already in the ball joint, where the grease should be, and it might fail anyway

• mikeup likes this

#9 mikeup

mikeup

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 28 October 2020 - 08:22 AM

Indeed

I got all prepared to do the superglue method, jacked up/axle props tools and got under to inspect.

Changed my mind once I saw the situation 🤷🙈🙈😂

Yes it's, maybe..., Possible, and would save £10 for the ball joint cost and ? £40 labour ( it's a good hour+) job for a skilled mechanic with ramp/pit Etc.

So, off to the garage this morning.

#10 raynkar

raynkar

Dash cams, catch 'em out :)

• Members
  • 12699 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 October 2020 - 05:55 PM

I would just replace the ball joint. 
I think it takes less time than messing around with superglue 
Even if you succeed, chances are there is moisture already in the ball joint, where the grease should be, and it might fail anyway

If you can change a wishbone ball joint faster than gluing a new cover on that’s pretty special :)

You can put your vehicle info at the bottom of your posts to give details to help others know what you drive :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users