Glow Plug Light ? - Diesel Engines (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Glow Plug Light ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 Smith01

Smith01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:03 PM

Hi Everyone,

I've just got a 2010 Mk4 Mondeo TDCi and when I turn on the ignition I can't see the glow plug symbol. I have previously had a Focus 1.8 TDCi and the glow plug light would always come on even if it was very briefly. Is there any differences with the Mondeo? The car seems to be fine. The outside temp. is around 13 degrees.

Great Forum by the way.

Thanks

#2 malford

malford

Titanium X Pack

• Global Moderator
  • 1497 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:45 PM

Mine only comes on for a split second and starts on the key every time, even in cold weather.

I can remember having to wait for 5 secs for the glow plug to go out before attempting to start a diesel, things have advanced :backthen:

Welcome to the forum :L
2016 2.0 EcoBoost Titanium X Pack .. My 5th Mondeo
Turbosmart BOV
Eibach Pro Line
Bluefin
CP-e Intercooler
Blackvue DR650s-2CH

#3 doctor747

doctor747

Megger

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:46 PM

If you have the the Convers-, then you have to disable the 'how to' start up screen, as this runs longer than the glow symbal is on.....
57 plate MK4 2.0 tdci Titanium

#4 Yobbo

Yobbo

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 894 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 07:17 AM

In the non coverse plus cars the light only seems to appear in the winter. In the good weather we are having at the moment mine doesn't appear at all.
1.8 TDCi 125ps 6 speed Zetec hatch in Stardust Arrived 31st March 2008. Still getting about 50.5 mpg on average. Now over 100k and going strong

#5 mmarx

mmarx

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:32 AM

i cant see glow plug light on mine. press start then wait till yellow fuel light goes out and then hold star button, starts every time even in that cold winter. im only on shell v-power diesel.
2.2 Titanium X sport estate

#6 rogerb292

rogerb292

Little Megger

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:11 PM

I have seen the glow plug light for the first time today. Outside temp about 1deg. Got in the car and pressed the brake and the start button and released them as normal. The engine didn't start immediately as it usually does, but glow plug light was on for about 2-3 seconds then the engine started. Just wondering whether once the start up procedure is instigated, the car works out whether or not it needs the glowplug. I was so used to turning the key before and waiting for the light to go out. Certainly makes it easier.

Mk5 210 Vignale Estate

#7 The_Real_Stig

The_Real_Stig

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:15 PM

If you have the the Convers-, then you have to disable the 'how to' start up screen, as this runs longer than the glow symbal is on.....

I have only just picked up my 2008 Mk4 Titanium, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. :blush:

Is the Convers the Large Colour display in the centre of the Dash Borad?

Are you saying the glowplug warning light would appear on this if there was an issue, but also when you switch on the ignition if I disable the Start up graphics?

Thanks
The Real Stig
Mk4 Mondeo 2.0TDCi Titanium Estate (Moondust Silver)
with Lux & Appearence Packs

#8 doctor747

doctor747

Megger

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:16 PM

Yes, the large 'tv screen' in the instrument panel is the converse+. You get a title screen when you get in the car.
One option on start up is to have a short animation showing how to use the converse system. The length of time this short animation takes is always longer than the time the glow plug simbal would be on, so you never see it. Unless you turn the animation off....
57 plate MK4 2.0 tdci Titanium

#9 colmar

colmar

Bigger Megger than before

• Members
  • 562 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:35 AM

I have seen the glow plug light for the first time today. Outside temp about 1deg. Got in the car and pressed the brake and the start button and released them as normal. The engine didn't start immediately as it usually does, but glow plug light was on for about 2-3 seconds then the engine started. Just wondering whether once the start up procedure is instigated, the car works out whether or not it needs the glowplug. I was so used to turning the key before and waiting for the light to go out. Certainly makes it easier.

As I posted elsewhere in this forum, this seems to be a feature on the facelifted Mk4.5 diesel Mondeos. If the glow plug indicator is illuminated the engine won't fire until the indicator extinguishes.

My recommendation, for what it's worth, in very cold weather, press the start button but don't depress the clutch pedal. That switches on the ignition. Wait until the glow plug indicator extinguishes then depress the clutch pedal and press the start button as normal.