Washer bottle removal - Ford Fiesta Mk1 / Mk2 / Mk3 Forum - (1976-1995) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Washer bottle removal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ben_W

Ben_W

6 cylinders.....its the future ;)

• Forum Moderator
  • 3828 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Insignia

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:37 PM

Guys,

IF like me, your screen wash stops working suddenly, have the screen wash bottle off and check the filter in it first.

THe screen wash on the wifes fiesta stopped working suddenly last week. Set about fixing it this afternoon. The washer bottle is located inside the drivers side wing and is a bit of a pig to get to. You need to jack up the car and ensure its secure. Remove the drivers side front wheel and remove the 2 torx screws and the single normal screw in the arch liner to the left of the shock absorber. Pull the liner free and you should be able to tuck it over the brake disc and hold it out of the way without having to remove it completely. There is one 10mm bolt holding the bottle to the wing which you can see easily. The other bolt is on the end of the wing in the door shut. Its a swine to get at and you'll need a long narrow extention bar. ONce that nut is removed, you can wiggle the filler neck free of the bottle which will enable you to drop it down. The plastic bung in the bottom of the washer bottle should now be accessible. You can pull it out with your fingers but make sure you have a bowl to catch the contents!!

I pulled mine out and it was covered with a congealed jelly type substance which i believe is old, poor quality screen wash. ONce cleaned and all refitted, the washers were fine, meaning i didnt need a new pump at all!! GEtting the bolt on the washer bottle back through the hole in the wing to the door shut is a pain in the ass but persever and you will get there.
Stardust Silver Mondeo Zetec-S Saloon - Lower than a depressed racing snake.....sold, gone but not forgotten

Hatch for show, Saloon for a pro.......

Buggy, buggy, buggy!

#2 Bikerdave

Bikerdave

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

I had a similar problem on a Fiesta Ghia 52 plate, where the washers were not working but you could hear the pump OK. I guessed it was a blocked filter and this post helped here is what I did.

Removed the front n/s wheel.

There are four TORX screws that hold the plastic arch liner in place at the front of the arch, undo these, this allows access to the are by the washer bottle.

You can now see and get to the pump which is a push fit into the bottle. Carefully wriggle it and pull and it will come out. No need of screwdrivers etc. There is a (rubber?) filter that may come with the pump or may remain in the hole. Pull this out and in my case it was bunged up with a slimey mess.

After cleaning refitting is a straighforward reverse. I did try to put the filter back in the hole before the pump but that only managed to push the filter into the bottom of the bottle, not a good idea getting it lost in the bottle! Just slip the filter over the pump and push the whole thing in carefully but with a reasonable amount of push.

Refit the screws to the arch liner and refit the front wheel and your done. And a few brownie points from the G/F result!

If you need to remove the washer bottle for some reason there are three screws holding it in place. One by the filler neck, one to the right of the bottle which is exposed and easy to get to when your pull the arch liner back but the third looks a pig to get to its to the left of the washer bottle and goes through a cross member, you can see the head but I'm damned if I could see how you get a spanner or socket to it. As I didnt need to get to it I left it alone. I had removed the other two and the bottle was pretty lose, I wondered if there was a push fit that didnt need the screw removed but as I said I left it alone.

I had a similar problem with a Mondeo 53 plate but this one I managed to clean out without any removal at all. I will post this in the Mondeo forum.

#3 Nick

Nick

The Bloke In Charge

• Webmaster
  • 25825 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:58 AM

Guys,

IF like me, your screen wash stops working suddenly, have the screen wash bottle off and check the filter in it first.

THe screen wash on the wifes fiesta stopped working suddenly last week. Set about fixing it this afternoon. The washer bottle is located inside the drivers side wing and is a bit of a pig to get to. You need to jack up the car and ensure its secure. Remove the drivers side front wheel and remove the 2 torx screws and the single normal screw in the arch liner to the left of the shock absorber. Pull the liner free and you should be able to tuck it over the brake disc and hold it out of the way without having to remove it completely. There is one 10mm bolt holding the bottle to the wing which you can see easily. The other bolt is on the end of the wing in the door shut. Its a swine to get at and you'll need a long narrow extention bar. ONce that nut is removed, you can wiggle the filler neck free of the bottle which will enable you to drop it down. The plastic bung in the bottom of the washer bottle should now be accessible. You can pull it out with your fingers but make sure you have a bowl to catch the contents!!

I pulled mine out and it was covered with a congealed jelly type substance which i believe is old, poor quality screen wash. ONce cleaned and all refitted, the washers were fine, meaning i didnt need a new pump at all!! GEtting the bolt on the washer bottle back through the hole in the wing to the door shut is a pain in the ass but persever and you will get there.

Which MK fiesta?

Interested in finding out what all the crypto currency fuss is about and why so many people are making thousands of pounds?

TalkCrypto.co.uk

#4 Davecbi

Davecbi

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Fiesta 1.3
  • Name:Dave

Posted 29 June 2014 - 03:57 PM

Hi, Newbie to the site. My Son has just brought a 2000 (W reg) Fiesta, 1.3. I filled the screen wash bottle up and it all drained onto the floor. I have taken the wheel and arch liner off to see if there were any pipes off. I didn't find any but the leak seems to be coming from one of the seams of the actual tank. As it is around the back side of it, I couldn't see anything, but I assume it is fairly low as I only poured about half a pint of water in to check the leak.

The pipes and pump are dry so it's not coming from there.

First question is, is there an easy fix that doesn't involve removing the tank.

Second is, if I have to remove the tank and replace it, how long does this take? Or could I repair the seam with glue or maybe use a soldering iron?

Thanks,

Dave.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users