heater matrix removal on mondeo mk2 - Air-Con / Heating (Mk1/Mk2 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

heater matrix removal on mondeo mk2

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 ndr1804

ndr1804

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:ford
  • Name:nigel rosendale

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:48 PM

Hi everyone...new here, trying to remove plastic cover to get to heater matrix.

1 my lower plastic cover doesn't want to drop far enough down to reveal matrix. the rear vent vertical tube doesn't colapse far enough.

2 it feels like it is fixed to the bulkhead somehow it just won't budge with all the clips now broken and it droping slightly but it won't come down for me to get to the matrix.....anyone else found this..I've read other forums but just can't find ths answer.

regards Nigel 1804.

#2 MaxD

MaxD

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo MK5

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:01 AM

Hi. The lower housing should just drop away and allow you to pull it into one of the foot wells - the passenger side is easier.
What do you mean by rear vent?

1 / 2: Clips holding upper and lower halves of the housing together. You'll find 2 on each side - 1 at the front and 1 on the corners. There could be a fifth on the front, but I can't remember. Either way, they're a pig not to break!
3: Good cable ties points - which I now use as the original clips broke as they were very brittle
4: Duct for rear passenger foot wells - held in place with 1 cross head screw. It slides up giving you enough access to remove the lower half of the housing.

Posted Image

#3 ndr1804

ndr1804

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:25 AM

Hi thanks for replying. The tube is the number 4 in your picture. My prob seems to be that it won't move away from the bulkhead the lower casing drops a little but it won't move back or sideways. the matrix inside is like on a slant, it hasn't dropped with the casing. Underneath on the bulkhead there is a plastic thing that looks like vertidal slots. don't think its a vent but the casing seems to be traped by it. Thanks once again regards Nigel 1804

#4 MaxD

MaxD

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:04 AM

Number 4 - once the screw has been removed the column has about an inch to slide up which gives you plenty of space.
The lower half of the casing pushes into a lip on the upper housing (which you can't remove) and just needs a tug forward to release it.

Once all the clips are off/broken and the screw removed from the column, there's nothing else holding it on. The front tends to fall away first, then you pull it off the lip and that's it.
The matrix should be held inside the lower part virtually flat for all intents and purposes - the pipes go out through the lower half and into the engine bay. You might have something blocking on that side, but I doubt it.

Taking it apart is considerably easier than putting it back up!

Have you got any photos?

#5 ndr1804

ndr1804

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:26 AM

hi again thanks for quick reply.No photo's yet. there appears to be two lower compartments 1 is like the air ducts for feet.the other is where the matrix is. they are connected by some auwful screws. I just don't get why it won't come free. I've got the screw out of that (pic 4) tube and it moves up the front then drops but the back end won't come away. I wonder if the matrix is stopping it as it is stuck inthe top casing at front but down at the back........I'll try get some pics many thanks nigel 1804.

#6 MaxD

MaxD

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:30 AM

The column at the front (in my car) provides the air flow for the rear passengers foot wells.

Does my photo look like yours or is there something extra?
Do you have aircon? (which I don't have)

#7 ndr1804

ndr1804

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:36 AM

Yes I have aircon..........but it just looks like what you have in your picture. going round your picture to the left of "1" the compartments seperate but the lower casing soesn't want to move at all...........talk about sore hands ....regrds Nigel 1804

#8 ndr1804

ndr1804

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:53 AM

how do I upload my pics please.?

#9 ndr1804

ndr1804

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:58 AM

Hi this is a pic of the plastic thing that my lower unit appears to be attached to.this is at the front on the bulkhead12032011775.jpg

#10 ndr1804

ndr1804

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:59 AM

12032011776.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users