Common problems with the Mk3 V6? - Page 2 - V6 'Duratec' Petrol Engines (Mondeo Mk3) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Common problems with the Mk3 V6?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#11 sixtyfour

sixtyfour

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Zetec S 2.5 V6
  • Name:Wayne

Posted 09 June 2011 - 06:28 PM

Broken front spring replaced under AA warranty, replaced HT leads at 59,000 and apart from a new clutch assy at 35,000 just usual service parts. 2003 V6 2.5 (simply love my car to bits)
I love my V6

#12 Ben_W

Ben_W

6 cylinders.....its the future ;)

• Forum Moderator
  • 3828 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Insignia

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

IMRC.

Loss of performance and a real reluctance to rev over 4000rpm and will feel sluggish. Caused by heat killing the resistor on the circuit board IIRC
Stardust Silver Mondeo Zetec-S Saloon - Lower than a depressed racing snake.....sold, gone but not forgotten

Hatch for show, Saloon for a pro.......

Buggy, buggy, buggy!

#13 gsingh

gsingh

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:ford mondeo mk3

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:59 PM

look out for rear sub frame bushes when buyin 2.5 v6 mk3 common fault.

#14 Baldrick

Baldrick

Veteran

• Members
  • 12458 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:13 PM

look out for rear sub frame bushes when buyin 2.5 v6 mk3 common fault.

Not just a fault with the 2.5V6 Mk3, it's a common fault across all the Mk3 Mondeo's no matter what engine they have fitted. :(

#15 Macmondy3L

Macmondy3L

TF regular

• Members
  • 1360 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:21 PM

At 45k the esp&abs went completely kapput,was doing about 70/80 on the m56 when all of a sudden a vibration and a slight noise and then esp started flashing along with a steady red light on the abs,car still worked fine except no more esp or abs or traction control,the brakes worked okay in an old fashioned way,fords eventually relieved me of about eleven hundred and fifty quid to fix,never heard of a case of esp breaking ,car is a 3.0v6 ghia x

#16 GhiaX Chas

GhiaX Chas

Megger

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2.5T Titanium

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:14 PM

I had the ESP issue on my 2.5 Auto.  It was down to a knackered engine mount throwing off the speed readings.  Knackered lower arms and worn rear bushes would result in similar issues (V6s do seem to be harder on lower arms).

FWIW Ford still used plastic impellers on later V6s, up to 2004 at least.

As for common issues between the '04 2.5 and the now '05 3.0L here are mine:

Expansion tanks - cracked on both of them within 160k in the same place
Heater exchanger hoses (behind the front exhaust manifold).  These went weak at 170k
Top hose: at the engine side it split.
Radiator: cracked near the top hose side.  Truth be told both cars cooled significantly better on the newer radiators despite minimal scaling inside.

Mega Mile Mondeo User

2005 Mondeo 3.0 Ghia X Estate LPG. 262k: Crashed : RIP
2007 Mk3 Mondeo 1.8 LX LPG 324k : Sold

2008 Mk4 Mondeo Ghia 2.5T Saloon : Sold
2008 Mk4 Mondeo Titanium 2.5T Estate : Daily Driver

#17 Macmondy3L

Macmondy3L

TF regular

• Members
  • 1360 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

Hi ghia x Chas,you wouldn't happen to have any info on the origins of the ford v Sixers,I know it says on a label on the side of the front bank,Cleveland engine plant 2,Cleveland Ohio,obviously popped into a crate and sent to Genk wherever that is (it is Germany isn't it),also heard that they are actually a Mazda engine,something to do with ford buying the company?,correct me if am wrong,any info gratefully acknowledged;)

panther black 55reg 3.0 V6 ghia x,s/steel custom straight through,57i induction,st lip spoiler,Heko,dark tint wind deflectors,red calippers,17in ghia x alloys

#18 Baldrick

Baldrick

Veteran

• Members
  • 12458 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:38 PM

Hi ghia x Chas,you wouldn't happen to have any info on the origins of the ford v Sixers,I know it says on a label on the side of the front bank,Cleveland engine plant 2,Cleveland Ohio,obviously popped into a crate and sent to Genk wherever that is (it is Germany isn't it),also heard that they are actually a Mazda engine,something to do with ford buying the company?,correct me if am wrong,any info gratefully acknowledged;)

panther black 55reg 3.0 V6 ghia x,s/steel custom straight through,57i induction,st lip spoiler,Heko,dark tint wind deflectors,red calippers,17in ghia x alloys

Not Mazda on this one, there input was with the 4 cylinder Duratec engine. The 6 cylinder Duratec had primary engineering input from Porsche, who were developing a similar V6 before selling the engineering to Ford.

http://en.wikipedia....ondeo_V6_engine

#19 Macmondy3L

Macmondy3L

TF regular

• Members
  • 1360 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:58 PM

Thanks baldrick, loads of info read with the link you provided,i believe you own a st 220,is the horsepower difference between yours and a 3.0 ghia x down to the twin entry airbox &exhaust or is there more to it,thanks again ;)

Posted Via The Free TalkFord.com App

#20 4x416v

4x416v

Veteran

• Global Moderator
  • 7655 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo Mk4 tdci140

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:36 PM

IIRC it's down to a inlet manifold, the st's is less restrictive, I could be mistaken though..

<p>Mk4 Mondeo tdci 140 Zetec</p><br />
<p>Mk3 Mondeo Final facelift 2.0 Titanium</p><br />
<p>Mk3 Mondeo Final facelift 2.0 Ghia X</p><br />
<p>​​Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8td</p><br />
<p>My old Mk1 4x4 diary:<br><a class="bbc_url" href="<a href='https://www.talkford...0#entry1497480'class='bbc_url' title=''>https://www.talkford...80#entry1497480"</a>title=""><a href='http://www.talkford....80#entry1497480</a><br>' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://www.talkford....480</a><br></a>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users