detecting air con leaks. - Air-Con / Heating (Mk1/Mk2 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

detecting air con leaks.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 sgking

sgking

ST200 Limited Ghia X

• Members
  • 6505 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:car

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:56 PM

i took my st24 to kwik fit for the free test. it failed to hold pressure so no charge.

i went to my local friendlt garage and they said £20 for a dye test to find the leaks.

ebay has draper leak test cans for under a fiver. just wondered if they are any good or how they worked really? :)
Mondeo 2000 ST24

Mondeo ST200 Limited Edition no 181/300 'Ghia X'

#2 covlad1987

covlad1987

covlad1987

• Members
  • 1179 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:st200 white
  • Name:joe

Posted 09 March 2011 - 06:40 PM

i took my st24 to kwik fit for the free test. it failed to hold pressure so no charge.

i went to my local friendlt garage and they said £20 for a dye test to find the leaks.

ebay has draper leak test cans for under a fiver. just wondered if they are any good or how they worked really? :)

i dont know but helfords sell them as well so must be safe to use a kit lol

http://www.halfords....tegoryId_165632

[color:red]Another warm sunny day...... Now this is Global Warming at its best!!!!!![/color]

#3 EvoUK

EvoUK

Big Buttie Megger

• Members
  • 937 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:07 Mondeo Titanium X
  • Name:Neil

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:53 PM

Did you try a leak test can? Think my condensor maybe knackered but it would be good to check.

Mondeo ST24 Medium Steel Blue   NOW SOLD

Mondeo Mk4 Titanium X TDCI140 Panther Black with RS 18" alloys.

#4 MondeoNo1

MondeoNo1

Big Megger

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK2 Mondeo 2.0l
  • Name:Dave

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:04 PM

I have all of the equipment needed to test and fill air con and i have a sniffer machine that will literally sniff for refrigerant if its leaking. You just pass the end over the system and it will pin point the exact location of a leak. Cool equipment!
1998 Ford Mondeo 2.0L Ghia X
2003 Peugeot 807 2.2 HDi Executive

#5 sgking

sgking

ST200 Limited Ghia X

• Members
  • 6505 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:55 AM

well over the last couple of weeks ive gone a step further.

it seems the condenser is a common failure due to rust. mine doesnt look too rusty but the fins are a bit battered. maybe from a stone or something. anyway, to further my quest to get aircon working i knew id probably need a new condenser and if there is a leak then this would most probably be the culprit.

thing is though, to remove the condenser requires the radiator bottom mounts removing, and the bolts that hold it on are as usual not looking very clever. all rounded off, so i had to use plusgas, bang a 7mm socket over the heads with a hammer, a bit of heat which caused a fire due to the plusgas! two snapped and i had to drill them out and the other two came out ok. what a pain for just 4 little bolts.

anyway, now im able to remove the mounts i am totally ready to change the condenser.

i have not tried the draper can yet. i may very well after the condenser fitment, but just gotta get a bit of cash first.

that kit sounds awesome! just what i could do with really!

:)
Mondeo 2000 ST24

#6 EvoUK

EvoUK

Big Buttie Megger

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:21 PM

I have all of the equipment needed to test and fill air con and i have a sniffer machine that will literally sniff for refrigerant if its leaking. You just pass the end over the system and it will pin point the exact location of a leak. Cool equipment!

Pity your in Kent! :(

#7 nickyst24

nickyst24

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo ST24

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:34 AM

I just done my condensor and everything came out fairly simply tbh :(

Mine luckily was the condensor though so now my air con is nice cold!

#8 EvoUK

EvoUK

Big Buttie Megger

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:41 PM

I just done my condensor and everything came out fairly simply tbh :(

Mine luckily was the condensor though so now my air con is nice cold!

The condensor is usuall problem with aircon on mondeos. They rust and leak gas. Looking back through my service history I can see mine has been changed 4 times in the life of the car. Think it's up for another one soon.

#9 EvoUK

EvoUK

Big Buttie Megger

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:40 PM

Did you ever try that leak test?

#10 sgking

sgking

ST200 Limited Ghia X

• Members
  • 6505 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:38 PM

no, because i could tell my condenser was on its way out when i drilled out the bolts that hold the rad mounting bolts.

when i said i was in need of more funds...well i still am! i got my sills welded and now ive got to get my st200 mot'd and back on the road (new wishbones needed)so all my spare cash is going on other car things at the mo. the air con on the st24 can wait a bit. shame but thats how things have panned out for me. all i need is a condenser (£30) plus gassing it (£45).

its in the pipeline though :)
Mondeo 2000 ST24

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users