Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Oil for MK4 Mondeos - Important

19K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  BlakeS94 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
ACEA C2 oil specification is the one to go for a diesel with a FAP/DPF filter.

When choosing an oil for the Mk4 Mondeo, almost everything else on the oil can such as SAE viscosity or "synthetic" is either historical bunk or marketing jargon.

Do a websearch under Lubrizol and ACEA C2 and you will get a pretty good idea of what is required to formulate an oil using quailty basestocks and advanced additives to meet the wear, durability and emission requirements for an ACEA C2 oil.

Opie Oil have a bit of data on their website as well. The Citroen 1.6 HDi 110 is one of the main test engines for any lubricant manufacturer testing his oils to these standards. Castrol under their Edge range have some good oils if you need an alternative to the Total Ineos ECS Just check out the ACEA specification.

For Diesel vehicles with Particle Filter, in order to optimise the operation of the PEFs in the long term, use of
the low ash content oil TOTAL ACTIVA INEO ECS for France and TOTAL QUARTZ INEO ECS outside
France is recommended more particularly ( Or any other oils with equivalent characteristics )

Recommended oil * Description ACEA
standards
API oil
standards
Petrol and diesel
engines
ACTIVA INEO ECS Emission control synthetic
5W-30
C2 and A5/B5 -

See here why a Low SAPS oil is so important to keep your EGR valve clear: http://c6owners.org/plugins/forum/attachment/1/1272520871_1_FT1404_total_low_saps_presentation.pdf

Buying an oil just on SAE viscosity rating is a recipe for problems: the industry in Europe (ie ACEA) stopped using this other than as a marketing label years ago. The nasty end of the lubricant blenders/marketers can use some pretty cheap base stocks, throw in some polymers and the viscosity ranges (SAE variety) will look fine on the can. Might not last very long in the engine though.

There is a good presentation on Southern Lubricants website by Total explaining the thinking behind ACEA service fill specifications for PSA FAP equipped diesels, from which our Mondeo TDCis in the MK4 have originated. For instance Mobil 1 0w-40 does NOT met the requirements of ACEA C2. Do not use this oil on a long term basis on a FAP equipped vehicle. It probably has levels of ZDDP that exceed the SAP requirements for C2 oils: The reason that ACEA brought in the C sequence of oils, is due to the FAP and EGR components and operating conditions of these engines.

PSA and Ford are some of the main protagonists of the ACEA C2 standards, including 2008 updates to increase engine durability. By the way, Mobil do make a low SAPs fully synthetic oil. Using a Low SAPS oil will make a big difference in keeping your EGR valve clear.

More info: http://www.harboursideautomarine.com.au/Low%20Saps%20Tech%20Talk.pdf

http://www.driverstechnology.co.uk/oils.htm

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:q_o_wBvfI3kJ:www.platinummetalsreview.com/pdf/44-pmr-jan04.pdf+what+is+low+saps+oil&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESiuJXIMpY_ldTnQ05lWPGKHJMp7VJcfYNAWyE0sF5JZGCBwBeZ1Ubl4-x5Njfd1PUcEXhqcVtdftyhRQCStwiPnocVoRLKrSy07CDRwTl12pivWLHAnXdQz0HlWSVbglrL4DR_5&sig=AHIEtbTzX3TrmQe-_8Qb7XYFdL0qJDiSRQ

Best price for TOTAL ineo ECS 5w-30 oil: http://www.nielsencdg.co.uk/acatalog/Total_Quartz_Ineo_MC3_5W-30_Engine_Oil_5Litre.html

See less See more
Reactions: bender7
#2 ·
Interesting post thanks. But, and this is a big but, Ford do not require an ACEA Cx oil for the Mondeo. Magnatec 5W-30 A1, which appears to be the Ford recommeneded oil is A5/B5 only so presumably is not a low SAPS oil.

This is a little difficult to understand as PSA recommend the Total low SAPS oil (Quartz Ineo ECS) for cars fitted with exactly the same engine as the Mondeo. So what should I use in my engine - an oil that meets the Ford WSS-M2C913-C spec, or a C2 oil to keep the emission controls working efficiently?

#5 ·
I bought some Total Quartz Ineo ECS but it is still sitting in my workshop as I didn't do an oil change at 3000 km as planned. But I still intend to use it as Magnatec A5 doesn't meet ACEA C2. But strangely enough there is a Magnatec C2 which meets C2 and the PSA spec for diesels with a DPF.

This makes very little sense to me.

#6 ·
I've been banging my head against a brick wall with this same issue for a few weeks now and i'm still none the wiser. I drive a 2 litre smax tdci with a dpf and loads of sites state ACEA C1 or C2 oil is the way to go but like you've all said it goes against Fords Spec and what the manual states. I did read that basically the motor companies weren't aware about C2 oil at the time of the cars build. I got a reply from someone regarding the same issue here;

Your car is equipped with a Peugeot Citroën Moteurs DW10 engine - the correct oil spec for this particular engine is ACEA 2007 C2 and A5/B5.

So the Ford engine oil is A5/B5 which relates to the long life (fully synthetic) and viscosity grade (low), A = petrol, B = diesel. This is fine for this particular engine.

However, this is not good enough for the DPF - it requires low sulphur engine oil, C2 (C = catalyst compatibility). To cut the long story short, sulphur produces ash which accumulates inside the DPF slowly killing it, hence the requirement for low sulphur engine oil.

The ACEA C1/C2/C3/C4 standards were established about five years ago, however most engine oil manufacturers didn't actually produce any low sulphur engine oil until around 2009-2010. And then most dealers are clueless - they don't buy engine oil in 5l containers, they bulk buy it in hundreds or even thousands of litres, and their workshop oil dispensers usually carry only two types of oil. At this stage they are just not interested in low sulphur engine oils.

So in theory you should use the low sulphur engine oil to extend the DPF life.

Is your car using any oil? If it isn't I wouldn't worry about it. If it is then buy some Total Ineo (Mobil 1 ESP is just insanely expensive IMHO) before the next service and ask your dealer to use it instead of the standard stuff.

BTW, Ford obviously doesn't make any engine oil, it is just a rebranded third-party oil with a nice (motor industry standard) 400-500% profit margin.

But MOBIL said this

Hi,

this model calls for using engine oil that meets WSS-M2C-913B, which was a Ford specification for Diesel engines, and which has been superseded by Ford WSS-M2C-913C. Ford WSS-M2C-913C specification is based on ACEA A1/B1
plus additional Ford requirements. I agree Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 is lower SAPS engine oil, wich is obviously better for DPFs in general,
however there is much more in ACEA than just sulphated ash, phosphorus and sulphur. ACEA consists of several laboratory and performance tests and the limits for specific tests are publicly available. They can tell you much more than just comparing sulphated ash (for example there is a minimum total base number of 8 mgKOH/g for ACEA A1/B1 while C2 is nor regulated etc...). We do not know the details of parameters in scope of additional requirements and testing performed by Ford, but they do have their reasons
for not recommending low SAPS engine oils for their DPFs. From the user's
perspective - I'd feel more comfortable using oil that meets the manufacturer's requirements, than the one other users recommended on the internet. Please also try to understand our position, as a company producing and selling oils, we have to solely base on manufacturers' recommendations. You can also contact Ford and ask them for their opinion.

I'm so tempted to go for this Total Quartz Ineo Oil that meets C2 as everything points to you doing the right thing but obviously Fords little standard puts me right off (plus the email from MOBIL.

I cant even find a contact for Ford to even ask, don't know if you'd even get a reply though.

Anyone have anything else to input on the subject or whether you know of anyones experience with a C2 Oil??????????

#8 ·
So the Ford engine oil is A5/B5 which relates to the long life (fully synthetic) and viscosity grade (low)
Just an add. Long life oils are not necessary fully synthetic oils. As you see Liqui Moly oil I put the link above is synthetic technology produced oil which is quite different from fully synthetic based oils. It doesn't means the thing cause this is great and high end technology oil with more acceptable price (at least here in Bosnia price is about 12 Euros per liter) than Mobil 1 ESP oil (16 or 20 Euro per liter).

#9 ·
Add no 2.
If you are in doubt you can use Liqui Moly Leichtlauf Special F 5W-30 specialy developed to meet Ford latest C standard but also tested with catalytic converters and DPF although it doesn't mentioned as meeting the ACEA C2 standard.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have had two sumpfuls of TOTAL Ineo ecs, but have just had a change to Castrol for the sake of convenience. I still have another 6 litres of TOTAL in the garage.

Citroen/Peugeot dealers are using Ineo ecs in everything that comes in for service, even my old Xantia HDi had it and the car ran marvellously.

Using a low sulphur oil to extend the life of your DPF could prove to be good value compared to the cost of replacing it. Maybe when the Mondeos have 200,000 miles on the clock differences in engine wear rate may be more apparent. But by that time, I won't have the car.

The most important thing is just to change the oil regularly, not to fret over slight differences in oil specs.

#11 ·
The Mondeo Mk 4 uses a PSA manufactured diesel engine (DW10 and DW12). These diesels use a DPF (diesel particulate filter) to reduce particulate emissions. If you don't care about the environment then use the ACEA A5 oil which matches the Ford WSS-M2C913-A (and B and C and D) spec. If you do you should be using C1 or C2 which have much lower SAPS (Sulphated Ash, Phosphorous and Sulphur) than the A5 spec. I don't know why Ford specifies WSS-M2C913-A for the diesel as it is not a low SAPS formulation. I spent hours discussing this with various Ford personnel at the dealership and they were frankly clueless. Peugeot specify a C1 or C2 formulation for the same diesel engine when used in their cars. I use a C1 as I cannot find a C2 where I live. C3 is also an option but has higher viscosity so fuel consumption may increase slightly. Fiat, Mercedes and VW often specify C3 for their diesels with DPF.

There is a newer Ford spec WSS-M2C 950-A (which applies from 2014 onwards, ie. Mk 5 Mondeo) which is a C1 formulation with better cold start performance (0W30 vs 5W30 for the Mk 4).

The following are useful resources:

https://www.acea.be/publications/article/acea-oil-sequences-2012 this is probably not the appropriate document as the DW10 was first produced well before 2012, but it shows the differences between the A and C series oils. I could not find the older ACEA documents with a cursory search.

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-694-ford.aspx - lots of different Ford oil specs, the closest to the Peugeot spec is Ford WSS-M2C 934-B

https://addinol.de/en/products/lubricants-for-the-automotive-sector/engine-oil/ford/

https://addinol.de/en/products/lubricants-for-the-automotive-sector/engine-oil/peugeot/

#12 ·
Ive done two oil changes on my MK4 2.0Tdci since I've gotten it one year ago, first was with Acea C2 total quartz ineo ecs 5w-30, second oil change was 3000miles ago with the "recommended" Acea A5/B5 from Ford. Driving along yesterday and I had a "diesel filter overloaded" which is to say the DPF may be blocked, coincidental? I don't think so, I'll be changing back to the Acea C2 and using a bottle of DPF cleaner along with a hard run on the motorway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.