Replacing Mk2 TD Heater Matrix - Air-Con / Heating (Mk1/Mk2 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Replacing Mk2 TD Heater Matrix

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bobgarty

bobgarty

Megger

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:25 PM

HI,

Had an issue losing coolant. A friend, who is a Deisel fitter, took a look and found that the heater matrix was leaking. He has temprarily bypassed it so we can drive the car, but with the weather turning colder I need to replace it.
I have a TIS CD and have looked at it, but there are 2 sets of instructions which have pretty dissimilar steps - one set saying the A/C system needs draining . The car has A/C.

Does anyone have a step by step guide to get this job done? Or any advice based on the experience of doing it?

Thanks

#2 donteus

donteus

Lovin my car

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:ST24 estate

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:41 PM

i think it can be done by dropping the bottom cover off the heater, its tricky, but very possible.

the aircon has a totally seperate matrix higher up in the heater
'93 2.0L auto GLX estate........RIP-autobox
'98 diesel estate..........RIP-tw*t in a golf
'98 V6 auto Ghia x.........RIP-head gasket
'98 V6 ST24 estate..........RIP-lorry driver :angryfire: ....but maybe not, back on the road again :driving:

#3 MaxD

MaxD

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo MK5

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:16 PM

POPULAR

i think it can be done by dropping the bottom cover off the heater, its tricky, but very possible.

the aircon has a totally seperate matrix higher up in the heater

It is fairly straight forward:

1) Drain coolant into bucket - rhs lower radiator hose. If the coolant is still a nice blue/dirty blue, it can go back in. If black or smells funny (you would know), it's time to replace it.
2) Remove the side plastic panels (held on by 2x screws). You'll need both sides off.
3) Detach the plastic clips from the lower plastic section of the heater matrix box. These tend to break, so make sure you have several cable ties ready to go when you put it back together again.
4) Pull heater matrix unit about 3-4 inches into the cab to gain access to the clips.
5) Remove clips using mole grips. I have since replaced mine with jubilee clips as they only require a 6mm socket and I don't have to worry about the limited space.
6) Check if hoses are squidgy - if so, you may be able to get away with removing an inch of rubber to create a good seal when you put back. Else, for £20 you can get a new wire-reinforced aftermarket hose.
7) Make sure you have something to mop up any dropped coolant.

Reverse fitting from point 5. I'd say it takes no more than about an hour to do for the removal. Any questions, PM me. :)
  • Mrmacc likes this

#4 Mrmacc

Mrmacc

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo

Posted 21 December 2010 - 02:47 PM

i did it, i put high pressure car wash Gun in inlet pipe of heater matrix, and clean it... and now i got hot air inside.
before this, both pipes of heater matrix, outlet and inlet were warm, but there wasnt hot air inside, just a little, and matrix get cold after 1minute, because hot water didnt going easily trough matrix.
now everything is ok, so if you have this kind of problem, its better to clean matrix before buy new one. thanks to all for help ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users