Fiesta Mk6 Buyers Guide - Ford Fiesta Mk6 & Fusion (UK Model) Forum - (2002-2008) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Fiesta Mk6 Buyers Guide

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nick

Nick

The Bloke In Charge

• Webmaster
  • 25825 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:53 PM

I'm compiling a Buyers Guide for fellow members. I'd appreciate your time to list what you think should be checked. To make it easier, I've broken it down into sections:

1) Bodywork

2) Engines

3) Suspension

4) Trim

5) Electrics

6) Brakes

7) Gearboxes

If you have any relevant information which you think would assist, just reply with the title (ie, 4- Trim) and then a quick bit of info of the problem, if you have a photo, even better!

Thanks!

Interested in finding out what all the crypto currency fuss is about and why so many people are making thousands of pounds?

TalkCrypto.co.uk

#2 Matt5953

Matt5953

slowly using the forum more

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk1 Focus
  • Name:Matt

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:13 PM

Hi,

7-gearboxes

as most of the people who buy these cars are either new drivers or elderly people.
The gearbox synchro can take a pounding in the first 3 gears and the clutches can take
a battering aswell. make sure that the gearchange is smooth and quite light, if not this could
indicate that the dualsynchro on 1st and 2nd gear are heavily worn. als check the reverse gear
to see if it hasn't been worn out too much, a tell tale sign is that the gearstick jumps out of reverse
when you let clutch up.

hope this helps you with your buyers guide :)
Ford Fiesta Mk6 1.4 TDCi

#3 nutlang1

nutlang1

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Fiesta 1.6 TDCi
  • Name:Nico

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:50 PM

Hi

2 - engines

Relevent to the TDCi engines.

This may sound like general knowledge but it is critical to use the correct oil (low SAP, 5W-30) and to change it regularly. I do mine every 5000 km. Fully synthetic oil. Don`t forget to also check banjo pipes filters. Incorporated into the bolt. Oil filter change every 15000 km

Hope this is helpful :rolleyes:

Nutlang

#4 Ivor_E_Tower

Ivor_E_Tower

Captur'd by a 5UMO near Camberley

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2014MY C-Max 1.6TDCI
  • Name:Chris

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:53 AM

2 - Engines: 1.4 and 1.6 petrol: Water pump failure is common after 6-7 years and under 50,000 miles.  Coolant loss can be dramatic and sudden. Cam belt life is alleged to be 10 years but safer to change after 7, and have the water pump changed as part of the deal - if the water pump alone needs changing, the cam belt should be changed at the same time anyway.

#5 Ivor_E_Tower

Ivor_E_Tower

Captur'd by a 5UMO near Camberley

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2014MY C-Max 1.6TDCI
  • Name:Chris

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:00 AM

4 - Trim: Vertical plastic trim at leading edge of rear windows on 5-door models frequently comes unstuck (or clips get broken) and hangs off - don't catch it quickly and the trim falls off and gets lost. Catch it if you can and use hard plastic adhesive and/or sealant to re-affix. If necessary, hold in place with masking tape for a few hours whilst the adhesive dries.  Saves having to buy new replacements

#6 The Donald

The Donald

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Name:Richard

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:52 PM

5 - Fusion, and to some degree Fiesta 6 and 6.5. Undersides can rust where the floor pan meets the sills, and on the shell up behind the rear bumper. Also on the Fusion on the front doors, in the shut where the forward edge of the window frame meets the doors. Don't get me wrong, they're not rot boxes by any means, but as they age the older examples are starting so show a bit of cancer, and with so many about its worth looking out because there will always be another for sale.

1.4 and 1.6 Duratec engines are generally tough. They can suffer with coil pack and lead issues, but generally are robust and oil tight if kept service. However, they have a relatively small oil capacity, less than 4 litres, so the oil has to work very, very hard, which means if services are late of skipped the engines can get smoky and rattly quite quickly, but if serviced properly they are robust. The timing belts have a 100,000 miles/10 year interval, and they are genuinely good for it with premature failures being rare. The downside of this is that by 10 years old few people bother looking after a car properly, so if you're looking at a 10+ year old example check the belt have been done - if not its a £300 job with quality parts.

Brakes are mediocre on the cooking models. Not bad, but not brilliant. This is normal.

Pre facelift Fusions can suffer front suspension spring failure. Springs and struts from the Fiesta 6/6.5 fit the Fusion, but lower it slightly. Used ST150 springs and shocks are a cheap way to update Fusion suspension and drop it by about 1.5".

Mechanical parts swap almost universally like for like between the Fiesta 6/6.5 and Fusion, so parts are cheap. Many interior trim parts also swap over, including seats, so modifiers (us Fusion modifiers are a rare breed!) have a cheap source of parts to jazz them up.

Rear shocks on the Fusion and Fiesta 6/6.5 can go floppy quite quickly, but are easy to replace and decent quality aftermarket units are inexpensive.

Finally, the Fusion has a second glove box concealed inside the front passenger seat that most owners don't know about. Ideal for international diamond smugglers! Grab the front of the seat base and life up, and voila!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users