Air Conditioning Condensor Replacement - Air-Con / Heating (Mk1/Mk2 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Air Conditioning Condensor Replacement

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Andy-D

Andy-D

Big Megger

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 06:48 PM

Taken from the guide on here but with pictures...
-----------------------------------------------
Note: When doing this job, ensure the system is discharged as the gas is not human friendly. If your condensor is corroded and falling apart then there is a fair chance all the gas will have escaped.

This job also requires using a jack, obviously, never work under a car with only a jack for support, always use axle stands!
-----------------------------------------------

1) Find a replacement condensor, many are available on eBay for around £30-£50 with postage, 'budget-radiators' on eBay offers an excellent service and quick dispatch.

2) Jack up the car, I found jacking it up on the front cross member is ideal, then placing and axle stand at either side worked well with plenty of room to work.
Posted Image

3) Insert two screwdrivers (I found some long nails worked) through the upper mounts of the radiator.
Posted Image

4) Now working underneath, remove the underbody tray (mine had already been removed)

5) Now with access to the condensor, unbolt the two pipes to the condensor. This are 13mm and may require a long socket to get over the inside bolt.
Posted Image

6) If like mine the condensor is seriously corroded you may find the bottom half falls apart while removing. Undo two bolts on the bottom radiator brackets. (8mm) These may be rusted up solid, one came off, while the other had to be drilled out.
Posted Image
Posted Image

7) With the lower condensor bolts removed and the pipes unbolted, now remove the lower radiator brackets from the chassis. (8mm) BE CAREFUL, ensure your screwdrivers/nails are capable of holding the radiator. At this point you could end up with a pretty radiator dent in your head.
Posted Image
Posted Image

8) The radiator and condensor should now be able to move backwards slightly. This movement should be enough to get the condensor unclipped from the front of the radiator. A litte persuasion with a tap from a hammer may help unseize the tags. Once unclipped it can be fiddly but the condensor will eventually come out.
Posted Image
Posted Image

9) Before installing, check over the new condensor for any damage to the fins or pipes. Also replace any o-rings. There should be one on each pipe, either inside the bore or on the shaft.
Posted Image
http://i296.photobuc...cs/5af0b227.jpg

10) Then as always, just do the reverse of above for refitting...
http://i296.photobuc...cs/8676380a.jpg

Any problems... PM

Andy
My other car is a Camaro

#2 MONDYMANv6

MONDYMANv6

ST200 baby

• Members
  • 7993 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:53 PM

Nice little guide there :L
No cars at the mo, just a company vehicle :(

#3 dynamite

dynamite

Little Megger

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for taking the time to write this up and include the pics.

Using your guide I managed to replace mine this morning in under an hour and now I have ice cold air!

#4 MARTINR

MARTINR

Big Megger

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

I have done this twice in 12 months! Did yours come with new threaded studs where the pipes connect (shown in pictures of step 9), or had you refitted the old ones?

#5 sgking

sgking

ST200 Limited Ghia X

• Members
  • 6505 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:car

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:08 PM

my st24's air con has never worked in the 3 years or so that ive owned the car. i notice that my condensers 'fins' are a bit trashed so i could very well need to do this!

question:

because the aircon has been broken for so long does that mean theres no point in my fixing it etc cos the seals will be dried up?

Mondeo 2000 ST24

Mondeo ST200 Limited Edition no 181/300 'Ghia X'

#6 dynamite

dynamite

Little Megger

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 07:59 PM

MARTINR -
Mine did come with the threaded studs in place.

sgking -
You probably already know the gas also has a lubricant which keeps the seals and the compressor in a good working state. If there has been no gas or the air con has not been used in a long time the compressor could be siezed and the seals dry. But you wont really know this until you get it re gassed.

#7 ENGINEER

ENGINEER

Megger

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:06 PM

Andy-D........ First class guide.

#8 E55EX_RACER

E55EX_RACER

MEG Captain

• Members
  • 5225 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Corolla T Sport

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:18 AM

Nice guide mate, exactly how I did mine but I also removed the front bumper to make it abit easier.

because the aircon has been broken for so long does that mean theres no point in my fixing it etc cos the seals will be dried up?

Mine broke up when I removed it and must've been in that state for a quite a while. After fitting the new condenser and getting it regassed it worked perfectly. I had it regassed again last month (last time was 2 years ago) and it's still working fine :L

#9 sgking

sgking

ST200 Limited Ghia X

• Members
  • 6505 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:car

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:57 AM

good news! im defo gonna do this sometime. brand new condensers are like £40 posted on the bay so well worth it, and if i can wait till winter then i can get it regassed gor £25 at kwik fit.

fingers crossed £65 and a little work shuld see my st24's aircon working again :)
Mondeo 2000 ST24

Mondeo ST200 Limited Edition no 181/300 'Ghia X'

#10 tonytraff55

tonytraff55

Little Megger

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:1999 st24/24v cougar

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:38 AM

jut had mine tested and the condensor failed quoted 191 quid from ford .as above mine hasnt worked since i had it and dont want to waste money and time on a condensor if the seals are knackered ,,tony
1998 st 24 silver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users