Boot Release "Solenoid" - Security / Safety (Mk3 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Boot Release "Solenoid"

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 looking4phil

looking4phil

Little Megger

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:52 PM

Hi folks, the boot release isnt working on my 02 Saloon 2.0l TDDI and was told it could just be the solenoid. I have checked the release motor and works fine. Anyone know where this "solenoid" could be.

I have attached a photo of what I think it is.

Hope you can help.

Posted Image
Phil - 2002 2.0L DI Duratorq (115) Saloon, Stardust Silver

#2 Master-of-none

Master-of-none

Clever cloggs

• Members
  • 1572 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:1.0 125PS Focus Ti

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:14 PM

No, that's a plug and socket.

You can stop looking, there isn't a solenoid at all but that motor and gearbox that you already found is sometimes referred to as a solenoid because some locks used to use solenoids.
Check the wiring and disconnect the switches (one at a time), as the boot switch is known to fail. Does the keyfob remote button open the boot?
Weaselling out of things is important to learn,it's what separates us from the animals Except the weasel

#3 looking4phil

looking4phil

Little Megger

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:55 PM

No the fob dosent open the boot. And the release button on the dash dosent either. I guess there could be a lose wire as the signal isnt getting to the motor which would work fine. The switches you mentioned, are they in around the boot mechanism? I could but a volt meter across the connectors on the switch to see if the signal is getting that far. Any other suggestions if I dont find a lose connection?

#4 Master-of-none

Master-of-none

Clever cloggs

• Members
  • 1572 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:51 PM

Try the GEM diagnosis to see if the GEM gets the signals from the remote and the dash etc.
Weaselling out of things is important to learn,it's what separates us from the animals Except the weasel

#5 looking4phil

looking4phil

Little Megger

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:18 PM

The GEM Module is receiving the signal? I guess its just a lose wire somewhere, yeah?

#6 leesylv

leesylv

Back in a Mondeo…........again!

• Members
  • 2049 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:28 AM

I had the same problem on my 2004 Hatch.

Turned out to be the solenoid / motor inside the catch mechanism itself. It had jammed solid. I couldn't open the boot by the button on the fob, the button behind the gearstick or by the button on the tailgate itself.

Took the catch off the bootlid and found the solenoid / motor to be held on with 2 screws and a simple plug-like connector.

Guess what!! Ford don't sell just the solenoid/motor on it's own (that'd be a cheap fix). Nope, you've got to buy the whole bl**dy catch mechanism.

Anyhow, fitted said new catch mechanism, tiny bit of adjustment so it catches correctly and BINGO! , all back and working well.

Hope this helped. :L
2007 Mondeo Ghia TDCi. Stock except Alpine head unit.

#7 looking4phil

looking4phil

Little Megger

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:04 AM

I have the motor off and its working. Confirmed this by connecting a 9v battery across it and the motor moves the acuator. Maybe it was just a bit stiff. Will grease it up and rea fit it tonight to see if that works. Thanks for your input, will let you know how I get on.

#8 looking4phil

looking4phil

Little Megger

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:01 PM

Damn :angryfire: just fitted the motor and still nothing. Could a faulty switch in the dash be affecting it. Anyone know of any other things to try, apart from pulling the car apart to find a lose connection. Later.

#9 Master-of-none

Master-of-none

Clever cloggs

• Members
  • 1572 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:18 AM

But you tested the dash switch with the GEM?

#10 looking4phil

looking4phil

Little Megger

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 09:42 AM

OK had another look last night. In the boot (Nearside where the alarm horn is) I found a badly made connection which melted into the some other wires. seperated them all and insulated the damaged wire and fixed the connection. Still no luck on the boot operation. Something must have shorted out. Any ideas where to look next? Was looking at a new central locking module but thought all the other locks are working so why not the boot?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users