Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Mondeo Mk3 Tow-Bar Wiring - Connecting to loom

60K views 51 replies 26 participants last post by  Persia-Chris 
#1 ·
Fitted & wired a tow-bar to my Mk3 last week.
While I still have it fresh in my mind I thought I'd post the wiring colours for connecting into the cars loom.
Access is behind the LH boot trim, simply un-bind the loom & scotch-lock in. There's no need for a smart 7-way by-pass relay on a Mk3 Mondeo.

Pin1 Yellow(LH Signal) to Blue on car.
Pin2 Blue(Fog) to Green w/Yellow tracer on car.
Pin3 White(Earth) to suitable Earth point.
Pin4 Green(RH Signal) to Blue w/Red tracer on car.
Pin5 Brown(RH Tail) to Orange on car.
Pin6 Red(Stop Light) to Green w/Red tracer on car.
Pin7 Black(LH Tail) to Orange w/White trace on car.

If your adding a 12S for towing a caravan, you'll need to run a decent core cable direct to the battery with an in-line 15A fuse holder. Easiest way of getting to the engine bay is behind the NS sill trims, up the door pillar & behind the little rubber flap where the A pillar starts, & into the bay by the NS wing.

Hope it helps.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
i have a 2000 mk2 mondy, and will check and post my towbar electrics wiring if you want. PM me if want them.

#4 ·
No the MK 2 wiring is a different colour.

takisawa... There are many identical posts on the towbar wiring.

Also why run a lead to the battery when there is one tucked away in the NS rear panel.

One issue to think about, The mondeo has a smart charge system and puts out 14+ volts. A leisure battery prefers a slower
trickle charge to help maintain battery life.

#6 ·
now made a sticky

#9 ·
Bit late but...

Because you dont have a sensitive bulb failure system.

#10 ·
Is there a standard Ford fitted plug tucked away anywhere in the back, as I know a lot of cars have plugs ready for towing electrics to plug straight into. Also if there is, is there any difference in the plugs from the MK3 Pre-facelift Estate to the Facelift Estate? As I am taking the towbar off my Mum's pre-facelift 2003 Mondeo Estate and fitting it onto my 2004 Facelift estate and the towbar currently has twin electrics that I want to wire both up to my car! Cheers

#11 ·
There are several dedicated looms that just plug in for the MK3 cars.

One was almost double the price of the others for some odd reason.

It may still need a proper 12v feed running from the battery with a fairly
high rated wire.

Sure the standard ones 15A ?

#12 ·
Does anyone out there know the wiring colours for the 13 pin socket fitted to my car? It's a 2006 Mk3 estate fitted with a Ford towbar & electrics. The problem is the fridge in my caravan has stopped working on 12volt whilst towing. I've checked the van side of things but it seems to be the dedicated earth supply to the fridge (pin 11 I believe). There is no continuity from this pin to the car earth, but I'm having difficulty in tracing where this earth wire is connected on the car. Any help would be appreciated.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
Does it have a dedicated plug in loom or scotchloks or other method of joining the wires on the NS panel?

Organism Font Circle Art Screenshot

Companies link here... http://www.towbex.net/cdata/3017/docs/610740_1.pdf

I have no idea who they are so no connection. I just included their name as it is their
diagram.
Thought that was fair.

Attachments

#15 ·
Thanks for that. I'll have another look on the n/s but it's a hell of a jumble in there. There were no scotchlocks that I could see so maybe it is a dedicated socket. What does it look like?

#16 ·
It will be plugged into the main loom. Never used one myself.

Shouldnt be hard to find though. Follow the wire that comes through the rear panel or boot floor.

So many options. Ive seen the wires come up from the boot floor under the spare, NS corner grommet
or even a hole drilling in the rear panel right behind the towbar.

#17 ·
Hi im a newbie to this forum as i baught a 2003 tdci 130 in estate form two weeks ago so please be patient as this question may have been asked many times before

I live in poland and my car is a european model so not sure if the wires are a different colour? Im in the process of fitting a detachable towbar with a seven pin socket and when wiring in to the lights i found that all the colours corresponded correctly except for Pin 4 Green wire (RH SIGNAL) and pin 5 Brown wire (RH TAIL)
Im totally stumped because all the other wires match. The two remaining wires i have going in to the block connector for the light cluster are a black wire and a black w/green tracer. Checked with a multimeter and neither of these has current when tail lights are on or when right hand indicator is working..
Any ideas welcomed..

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi im a newbie to this forum as i baught a 2003 tdci 130 in estate form two weeks ago so please be patient as this question may have been asked many times before

I live in poland and my car is a european model so not sure if the wires are a different colour? Im in the process of fitting a detachable towbar with a seven pin socket and when wiring in to the lights i found that all the colours corresponded correctly except for Pin 4 Green wire (RH SIGNAL) and pin 5 Brown wire (RH TAIL)
Im totally stumped because all the other wires match. The two remaining wires i have going in to the block connector for the light cluster are a black wire and a black w/green tracer. Checked with a multimeter and neither of these has current when tail lights are on or when right hand indicator is working..
Any ideas welcomed..
On my estate the wiring is different from my older hatchback.

On the hatch all of the wiring for both sides goes past close to the nearside light cluster so all connections to the 12N socket can be picked up there.

On the estate the cable run to the offside rear light cluster takes a more direct path and cant be intercepted so easily.

I took the offside indicator and tail feeds from the rear cluster at the other side of the car and found that the roof trim could easily be popped out at the rear to get my two extra wires up and back across to the nearside where they joined the rest of the 12N connections.

#18 ·
MinesaGhia. Please dont double post. See your other thread.

#22 ·
Green/Black on the left unit and Green/Orange on the right.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi!

Thought I should post this here, since I had to figure out all the color-codes for my Mondeo MK3.

Just mounted a new 13pin socket to my Mondeo MK3 to replace a broken one, and the colors where completely different. The socket and wiring was done/delivered by Ford, so I don't know why the colors don't match ISO.

Here are a diagram with the color codes:

mondeo_trailer_socket_wiring.png

Does it have a dedicated plug in loom or scotchloks or other method of joining the wires on the NS panel?

attachicon.gif
13pin.jpg

Companies link here... http://www.towbex.net/cdata/3017/docs/610740_1.pdf

I have no idea who they are so no connection. I just included their name as it is their
diagram.
Thought that was fair.

#24 ·
The dealers generally farm out towbar fitment. Ford badged towbars will actually be another

brand Brink, Westfalia, Witter etc.

#28 ·
Vent in the nearside, Hole in the floor, Hole in the wheel well also.

Route it where ever you like, Whats easiest for you and how long is your cable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.