TDCI Aux Belt Tensioner How to - Page 36 - Diesel Engines (Mondeo Mk3) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

TDCI Aux Belt Tensioner How to

• Please log in to reply
379 replies to this topic

#351 imacleod

imacleod

Little Megger

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:'05 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:46 PM

POPULAR

I a rattle from aux belt led to me spotting the tensioner jumping around; I assumed it was the pulley bearing that was going. Ordered a tensioner, pulleys and crank damper; when I went to fit them, I found it was the bottom bush on the spring that had gone.

I could not be bothered to take the starter off to lock the flywheel, so I decided to leave the original 219k mile damper on. It looks fine, and is easily accessible if needs be in future. All of the pulley/idlers, all original, were smooth running. I did replace the pulley on the other end - power steering - recently, it had failed, so I thought it was best renew all of these.

To compress the tensioner, I cut down a large bolt (24mm AF) to fit 1/2" hole behind the pulley, and pulled the spanner back with a ratchet strap. It's a bit rough, done with an angle grinder, but it worked well.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190615_125026.jpg
  • 20190615_154755.jpg
  • 20190615_174537.jpg
  • 20190615_114721.jpg

Edited by imacleod, 16 June 2019 - 06:48 PM.

• goodguy40 likes this

'05 Mondeo 2.0 TDCi hatchback, somewhere north of 228k miles on the clock...

#352 imacleod

imacleod

Little Megger

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:50 PM

Only just realised looking that the pictures that the crank pulley is the other way round from what I first thought :dang:

What I thought was the rubber seam between the inner and outer is just a mark in the casting. How could you tell if the pulley was shot, unless it had failed totaly?

#353 imacleod

imacleod

Little Megger

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 09:23 PM

Having looked at the new pulley again, I see I might not be going mad after all. There are rubber seams on both the inside and outside edges. There seem to be three main parts to the pulley; the part that bolts on, the V belt ring and a third mass on the outside.

Still not sure how you could assess the condition of the pulley without removing it to see the state of the cushion between the V belt ring and the core...

#354 colbexv6

colbexv6

Big Megger

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:05 Mondeo ST TDCi

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:06 PM

OK so this is the next job on the list. My car sounds like a tractor & when I use the aircon it literally sounds like the engine is going to fall out  :o

So, I've bought a Gates belt & pulley set with a tensioner & also an INA 535022310 alternator pulley. Just have a couple of questions before I take it on though.........

do I need the special alternator spline tool for fitting this pulley or is it just for removal? (do I need it for removing the old pulley?)

I know I need a 3mm spacer (M16 washer?), does using this mean I don't have to grind off the collar on the alternator?

Thanks  :biggrin:

Colbexv6

2005 Mondeo ST TDCi

"I was given a sweater for Christmas. What I really wanted was a moaner or a screamer"

#355 colbexv6

colbexv6

Big Megger

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:05 Mondeo ST TDCi

Posted 08 July 2019 - 10:50 AM

POPULAR

I've answered my own questions & done the job. 

The answer to my first question is you only need the spline tool for fitting the new pulley. You need a 24mm socket to remove the old pulley & make sure you have access to a bench vice because you will not remove it without one.

The answer to my second question is I did have to take a little bit off the collar but not all the way back to the alternator body. I fitted the new pulley & could just hear it catching on the collar so I filled it down by half a mm or so & it was fine.

What a b1tch of a job it was, I hope I don't have to do it again (although now I've done it it would be easier next time but even so). The car is massively quieter now & no longer embarrassing.

If Rolls Royce made tractors.........  :driving:

• nicam49 likes this

Colbexv6

2005 Mondeo ST TDCi

"I was given a sweater for Christmas. What I really wanted was a moaner or a screamer"

#356 mikeup

mikeup

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:tdci 130 05 Estate

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:45 PM

Ford tsb says you should"always" replace crank pulley at same time.
IE if tensioner needs replacing, likely crank pulley will, although not showing any symptoms, be damaged and need replacing soon...

#357 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 29146 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:31 PM

POPULAR

If it was down to spend as little as possible then personally i would see if there was any

movement in the pulley, if it appeared tight then i would leave it alone.

If it was a lets get it all done in one go then swap the pulley at the same time, but check

the new pulley runs true with no wobble. Been a few threads with pulley issues after

replacement.

Its not as bad as the clutch/flywheel/slave etc. where the labour charge puts it into not

worth it if you need to remove it again to replace one part.

• mikeup likes this

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#358 markderby

markderby

Derby Meets Organiser

• Members
  • 3834 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Modifide Fords
  • Name:Mark

Posted 29 August 2019 - 08:35 PM

POPULAR

wow i carnt beleive my post is still going after all these years :)

all most 10 years 

Edited by markderby, 29 August 2019 - 08:40 PM.

• d4zzl3r, nicam49 and pete666 like this

Had the most powerfull Mondeo Mk3 Ghia X TDCI in the uk now in Mondeo Heaven 
Got Mondeo Mk3 TDCI-ST Estate
Got Mondeo Mk4.5 Titanium X Sport Estate 
Got Mondeo Mk4 Titanuim X Sport 2.5T Hatch
Got Focus ST225 Hatch Very Modifide 

#359 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 4269 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3
  • Name:Nick

Posted 30 August 2019 - 08:38 AM

POPULAR

Good to hear from you, Mark! 👍
  • markderby likes this
<p><p>nicam49 2002 Mondeo TDCi Ghia X Estate mk3 pre facelift Stardust Silver+Rust.[b] 308,000+miles, but been off the road since Nov 2019 after timing chain slipped during fuel pump transplant. Awaiting return of mojo

#360 nicam49

nicam49

Little Megger

• Gold Member
  • 4269 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo mk3
  • Name:Nick

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:00 PM

Anyone wanting to replace the pulley on the tensioner which is MUCH cheaper than a new tensioner assembly, then its a Gates T38354, SKF VKM34032, Febi 24429, Ford 1125419, INA 534016910, *see below
Dimensions are: diam=65mm, width=25.5mm, centre hole dia=17mm
If you need a new bush for the damper, then they're available for £6.99 from TPUK, or they also sell a complete damper for £19.99.
*some sellers are confusing the ENTIRE tensioner assembly and the pulley alone, but you'll know by the price. Pulleys cost between £12-£20.
The other smooth pulley, which has a standoff on it, is Ford part number 1731709.
<p><p>nicam49 2002 Mondeo TDCi Ghia X Estate mk3 pre facelift Stardust Silver+Rust.[b] 308,000+miles, but been off the road since Nov 2019 after timing chain slipped during fuel pump transplant. Awaiting return of mojo

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users