A/C not working. Compressor Clutch at fault? - Air-Con / Heating (Mk1/Mk2 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

A/C not working. Compressor Clutch at fault?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 RobertoGhia

RobertoGhia

Megger

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:01 PM

Had my A/C regassed at the weekend on my Mk.2 Si and all seemed well. However, when I put the A/C on this afternoon, it failed to get cool. When I checked it out at home, the clutch plate on the compressor seems to spin for a few seconds then stops for about 10 seconds then spins for a few seconds and so on. Does this sound like a clutch issue and if so, can it be sorted without removing the entire compressor and refrigerant pipes? Is it possibly a sensor cutting it out? Or is it the electromagnet coil at fault?

If I need a new compressor, am I correct in assuming that a new compressor means I will need to get the system regassed again?
Present: '01 Mondeo Zetec 1.8

Past: '04 Mondeo Ghia X TDCi(S.IV) 130 6 Speed, '99 Mondeo Si 2.0 130

#2 wac

wac

Need more mods, any ideas?

• Members
  • 2337 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:13 PM

http://www.fordmonde...php?tid/809378/

I done the above to the misses (I means her car lol), but from what you say the clutch is engaging.

Are you 100% sure it is full of gas?

I would clean up the clutch plates 1st, should be easy to do without removing compressor.

New compressor means gas taking out then putting back in.
1.8LX, Petrol (almost ghia X) Saloon W reg had since May 2002

standard rear discs, Traction, Elec mirrors, Front fogs, 3 Rear headrests, silver door handles, rear interior light.

MY MODS>>> bug eye lights.....short shifter gear stick.....ghia visors.....trip computer.....stereo remote.....coin mat.....alloys.....rear elec windows.....now has cruise control.....Ghia X full wood trim.....Ghia Sail panels.....wood handbrake cover.....black eye headlights, Anti dazzle HID kit.....ST mesh grille....Bomz kit....larger throttle body.....LED sidelights & interior/footwells.....rear foot well lights.....colour coded door handles, full heated leather who knows whats next!!!

#3 RobertoGhia

RobertoGhia

Megger

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 05:55 PM

Ok, next chapter in the story.

I decided to buy some EZ Chill coolant from Halfords after I read a post here from someone that used it. I took their advice and connected just the hose & gauge to see what reading I got. Now, according to the gauge, Green is low, Blue is ok, Yellow is Caution and Red is Alert. Basically, if you attach the gauge and it reads Green, you need a top up. If it's Blue, it's all ok. If it's Yellow, it may be overcharged and if it's red, there is a more serious fault.

Well, as I said in my previous post, the compressor draws power, the revs drop on the engine and I can see the compressor clutch plate engage for about 3-5 seconds and then disengage for about the same period of time, at which point it engages again for 3-5 seconds and then disengages. This process repeats ad infinitum! ;)

So when I connected the gauge, the needle rose to yellow and then the compressor clutch kicked in and the needle dropped to the beginning of the blue range. Then the compressor clutch disengaged and the needle slowly rose to the same point on the yellow stage (about 55 PSI) and then back down again when the clutch plate engaged.

And it just carried on doing this all the time.

So, does anyone know what this might indicate? Is the system overgassed and the high pressure sensor is just cutting it out?

If it is overgassed, I can probably get the extra gas removed at a garage, yes?

Once again, appreciative of all help offered :)

At least I can take the can of refrigerant back as it is completely unused.

#4 FerretAD

FerretAD

Big Megger

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:24 PM

From what your saying, it's overgassed.

Can you not take it back to the place where you got it gasses and get them to check the pressure of it ?
1998 Mondeo, Mk2 Saloon Ghia X, 2.0l Blacktop. 68,000miles Dark Red - DEAD
ST24 Wanted !

#5 RobertoGhia

RobertoGhia

Megger

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:32 PM

From what your saying, it's overgassed.

Can you not take it back to the place where you got it gasses and get them to check the pressure of it ?

Yes, I'm going back there next Wednesday :)

#6 cozmium

cozmium

Always busy with something...

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:23 PM

I don't think it is overgassed at all. The reading you need to pay attention to is when the compressor is engaged and running - which from what I understand is in the blue 'ok' range.

The system basically works by pressurising the gas which turns to vapour in the matrix behind the dash creating the cooling effect, and dropping the pressure which then needs to be charged again at the compressor. Thus, when the compressor is not engaged, the entire system is in a sense 'neutral' all over and the reading will be very high on what would otherwise be the low pressure side.

I would guess that this is more likely a switch at fault, because the behaviour you describe is exactly what happens when a system is low on gas, so if a switch has become sticky or something, it may not be measuring correctly anymore.

Still, if they are not going to charge you for checking if they overpressurised it - which would put them at fault anyway, you have nothing to lose i guess :whistling: