condenser removal???mk2 mondeo - Air-Con / Heating (Mk1/Mk2 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

condenser removal???mk2 mondeo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 jamesey

jamesey

Megger

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 05:43 PM

hi im a newbie here (1st post) so hello there
the problem i have ive just bought a mondeo 1999 v reg zetec model with the 16" zetec alloys and have just been to charge the a/c up and the garage didnt get neat to filling it it just came straght out of the vents in the bottom of the bumber so my guess its the condenser or the pipes i cant see anything without stripping it down , it seems to be coming from the bottom of the bumper n/s just to the right of the front reg plate , is there anything prone to happen near here and what job is it to get and swap the condenser , thanks for any advise i just wanna be cold this summer going down to cornwall in aug :laugh:
[color:red]2005 2.2 GHIA X TDCI[/color]

#2 Galaxy

Galaxy

Megger

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:13 PM

The bottom of the condenser will have rotted! Very common Mondeo Mk2 problem.

Get underneath and remove the screws which hold the radiator undershield on. Pull undershield towards rear of car to remove, if there's a strip of rubber on the radiator side tear it off and throw it away. It's this which absorbs water which then rots the condenser.

To remove condenser, support radiator with two small screwdrivers through the small holes on mounting pillars on top (just push them through the horizontal holes).

Next remove the two radiator mounting brackets holding the lower radiator mounting pillars. Undo the two metal pipes going into the condenser. There won't be any refrigerant to worry about, it will all have leaked out through the rotten condenser!

Radiator will pivot enough to push condenser up (it just clips onto the front of the radiator, small bracket on each side) and then drop down to remove. You don't need to drain the cooling system or remove the radiator!

As they always say in the Haynes manual, replacement is the reverse of removal!

Don't think I've missed anything but, if I have, I'm quite sure someone will come along soon to fill in. You will, of course, need to get someone in afterwards to check the aircon system, test it, and fill it with refrigerant.

#3 jamesey

jamesey

Megger

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:01 PM

doesnt sound a bad job , ive seen a new one on ebay for £35 + £7 p+p no point buying a 2nd had one at that price is there

#4 Galaxy

Galaxy

Megger

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:12 AM

No, certainly not! A secondhand one will probably be just as bad as the one you've already got, if not worse!

#5 jamesey

jamesey

Megger

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 10:10 PM

ive bought the one off ebay now (new)ill be tackling it this coming week , dont know if this will be a problem but just at the back of the radiator there is a crimped a/c joint i can move this its quite slack are they ment to move??

#6 jamesey

jamesey

Megger

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:56 PM

sorted it now , i bought that one on ebay fitted it charged it and hey presto its ice cold
the old condense fell to bits on removal , the job took 1 hr aprox easy really
thanks

Likes to chat

• Validating
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 09:33 AM

What type of screws were they to remove the condensor aircon lines? mine is rotten also

#8 ruff-stuff

ruff-stuff

Little Megger

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 09:33 AM

Do you need to have the car up on axel stands to remove the condenser or can it be done without as im going to do mine and need to know if i have to buy some
thanks
stuart

#9 Galaxy

Galaxy

Megger

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:15 PM

You will need to raise the front of the car but it doesn't need to go very high, it's just so that the condenser can be removed from under the car as it has to be.

You could probably do the job by putting the front wheels on large but flat blocks of wood, that would probably be sufficient.

However, if you are going to be jacking the car up in any way then, in the interests of your own personal safety, you should use axle stands to safely support the vehicle.

#10 Kitch

Kitch

Little Megger

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:06 AM

Sorry to drag up an old topic, but is this the rubber strip you're talking about?

Posted Image

Cheers
[color:blue]2000 - Ford Mondeo ST200[/color]
[color:red]1991 - Citroen BX 16v[/color]
[color:gray]1995 TVR Chimaera 400[/color]
1999 Citroen Saxo VT?