Screen wash problems... Here's a fix. - Electrical (Mk1/Mk2 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Screen wash problems... Here's a fix.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 gravedigger

gravedigger

MEG Colonel

• Members
  • 8988 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:00 PM

If there's little or no screen wash coming out of the jets, then apart from the resevoir needing topped up, it's likely that the feed hose at the bottom of the resevoir has popped out. This is a common thing for the Mk1/Mk2 Mondeo with the tell-tale sign being a puddle of water on the ground under the front off-side roughly where the resevoit is positioned...

Follow this to fix it and how to prevent it happening again :L

1, Jack car up take off the Driver's side (off-side) wheel. You can do the job without taking the wheel off but its more of a struggle

2, Un-clip wheel arch cowling from bottom upwards to about half way up so you can get your hand/arm in to get to your washer bottle.

3, You will see the end of your washer pipe (where its come off) and the nozzel on the bottom of the water bottle, if you try to put it back on you will find that you may have to stretch the pipe for it to fit back on. Do not stretch it as this will only come back off after a short time later with the force of the water.

4, Open bonnet. Look down to find the water pipes held in with clips. Un-clip them, go back under your car and give the end of your water pipe a bit of a pull, that way you have some slack to fit back on the the water tank nozzel and you will find it easier to push back on

5, To be more secure and prevent it happening again, buy some small cable ties (ty-wraps). Once you have fitted the water pipe back on the nozzel put a cable tie round the pipe aswell over the nozzel, this should secure the pipe for not comming back off.

6, Re-fit the arch liner and put the wheel back on, ensuring the wheel-nuts are torqued up correctly on :)
REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE It IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM

#2 gravedigger

gravedigger

MEG Colonel

• Members
  • 8988 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:02 PM

if this sounds all giggly goo, blame someone else
REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE It IS ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM

#3 siacelestar

siacelestar

Now in the Far East...

• Members
  • 2715 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:48 PM

Something adding to this topic...

Alternatively over time the filter to the washer pump can get clogged up with gunk (or whatever you call it). The sign when the filter gets blocked is that there is a tiny bit of water coming out from the washer jet but then it stops, while you can still hear the pump whining; and unlike the symptom listed above by Gravedigger, there isn't any water puddling beneath the car...

Similar procedure as above, partically remove the front wheelarch liner, and the under tray.

Check if you have got any water in the reservoir. If there is, be careful at the next step.

Take out the pump and pull out the fliter. If there is any water in the reservoir don't position yourself underneath otherwise you will be soaked, unless if you want an adventerous showering experience.

Clean the filter, and if possible use some warm water to flush out the remaining gunk from the reservoir.

Fit everything back in, make sure all the feed hoses are connected back in, and have a quick test before re-fitting the wheelarch liner and the undertray.

Lastly, go and have a shower... if you haven't already have one while underneath the car... :tongue:

Here are some photos of me doing it... blocked filter (first one) and what got flushed out (second photo)

Attached Thumbnails

• 1225457271-IMG_0765.jpg
  • 1225457281-IMG_0767.jpg

Do you ever notice that when you're driving, anyone going slower than you is an idiot and everyone driving faster than you is a maniac?

And if it ain't broke, make sure it won't! - it's cheaper this way!

MK2 V Reg 1.8TD GLX Panther Black - Big projects coming upSOLD

MK2 Focus 1.6 Auto - Gone with a loud bang...

Mk4 2.3 Mondeo Estate - Back in the scene!

#4 haemoturia

haemoturia

Megger

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:02 PM

am gonna do this cos my rear wash wipe doesnt spray anything out

#5 MScotts

MScotts

Never knowingly understood

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 23164 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:ST200 Saloon

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:47 PM

With the rear wash-wipe, it might be that the flexi water pipe has come out of a union. Easily checked, all you need to do is pull back the lining a little at the hatch opening (on the drivers side of the car) and run your hand up the pipe to check its connected properly. It usually comes adrift about in-line where the rear passenger's grab handle is :L
4-wheels - LPG converted ST200 Saloon Ltd Ed No.177
2-wheels - BMW Motorrad and Honda HTM
Unfortunately Andy (MScotts) passed away suddenly on the 9th October 2013. RIP Andy, you'll be missed by all.

#6 Max2thous10

Max2thous10

Big Megger

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:36 PM

i have no pump noise and the squirter was working day before yesterday . Could it be frozen. I have no puddle and dont seem to have any fuses popped can someone shed some light please?

Max
Mondeo Mk1 1.8i 1995 GLX , Front fogs, Electric windows, Alarmed, Sun Roof, light up door handles,electric door mirrors.

Now with Alloy wheels,rear Mk2 boot spoiler, Bomz Kit, electric sun roof,rear passenger courtesy light, map lights, mk2 wooden dash surround, Rewired window heater switches from Mk2 and Mk2 trip computer

Other toyz

FibreFab short Wheel Base Rat Beach Buggy - rebuilding monster turbo 2.7l injected engine
http://wsww.martinss...on.blogspot.com

#7 Alun

Alun

Back in a Mondeo

• Members
  • 5462 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2000 Focus 1.8
  • Name:Alun

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:10 PM

Could possibly be frozen. Even though mine has heated jets I think the water in the pipes had frozen as I wasn't getting any noise from the motor. I have since topped up with a bit more screen wash (with added anti-freeze).
2005 Mondeo 1.8LX

#8 Simonty

Simonty

Mk3 newbie

• Members
  • 4105 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk3 Ghia X TDCI
  • Name:Simon

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:13 AM

With the rear wash-wipe, it might be that the flexi water pipe has come out of a union. Easily checked, all you need to do is pull back the lining a little at the hatch opening (on the drivers side of the car) and run your hand up the pipe to check its connected properly. It usually comes adrift about in-line where the rear passenger's grab handle is :L

Hi,

I'm glad I found this post because my pump works but the water just dribbles out of the rear jet.

Could you define "hatch opening" for me please? I don't know where you mean.

Thanks
Simon

Old: 1997 Mk2 Si 2.0, 1996 Mk1 Ghia V6, 2002 Mk3 Zetec-S 2.5 V6, 2003 Mk3 Ghia X TDCI
Now: Saab 9-3 2.0 turbo with mods!

Just Joined TF!

• Validating
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 12:06 AM

I have similar problem with rear wash-wipe, water oozes from roof lining adjacent to grab handle. could you explain in more detail how to remove the roof lining, never done it before.
Regards
IKB.......!!!!

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:58 PM

I'm glad this post is here, saves me asking the question about how to do it, cos I have this problem on my car.

I put it up on ramps earlier, and tried taking off the plastic tray under the engine, do I not need to do this then?

Is it really as simple as taking off the front right wheel, and removing some of the wheel arch liner?

Once you have done that, how easy is it then to replace the hose?

Thanks guys, for any further help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users