Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Can someone run me a Glass's valuation?

1K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  Mark M 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Would be most appreciated if you could send me the report or screenshot.

(A Random secret car) Edited by Purple...

Thank you!

#2 ·
Have you seen the old MOT history for that car? Thats the sort of car I dont

even bother looking at.

Neglected tyres and even missing wheelnuts? Doesn't inspire confidence that

the owner took care of it.

I could be wrong but first impressions give that to me.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Have you seen the old MOT history for that car? Thats the sort of car I dont

even bother looking at.

Neglected tyres and even missing wheelnuts? Doesn't inspire confidence that

the owner took care of it.

I could be wrong but first impressions give that to me.
Erm, might be wrong.... but isn't (Random Secret Car) the car Tony currently has that's just been written off due to non-starting??? :dang:

#5 ·
After what went into that car when you first purchased it Tony, it seems a shame how it has ended up

#6 ·
Haha yeah, ah well it's been a decent car, not had any major problems with it since I had it, just some annoying sensors and what not.

I think it was you who scared me into having the gear box serviced more frequently than the manual states Trevor!

One thing I will say is I probably won't buy a Ford auto/PS again, it just seems to be an electrical nightmare.

#7 ·
Apologies, posted without engaging the brain cells.

Duly chastised with threats of having to buy myself a Vauxhall and drive

it every day. :D

Is the wheelnut thing a common MK4 issue, Mine came with a spare set and

a locking set. Or maybe the previous owner bought a complete set to

replace the weak locking nuts?

I just thought odd a bag of wheel nuts and why so many and stuck them somewhere

safe probably never to be seen again. Didnt count them but looked like a lot.

#8 ·
Woah woah woah, drive a Vauxhall every day???? That seems a bit TOO harsh to me.

Maybe every other day :p

#11 ·
If its a low mileage or better than average condition you tend to lose out

on insurance prices.

In 2018 I bought a 2013 MK4.5 for £3k (High Miles but tidy).

When insuring it they said the book value was over £6k.

#12 ·
A 2 litre ecoboost Titanium X Sport with low to average mileage has a "book" value far higher than than the rest of the Mondeo range.

#14 ·
Their offer is supposed to get you back in the equivalent of what's been lost, but the first offer never will. I found (though it was a fair few years ago now) that going back to the insurance with a few cars on Autotrader that match what you had was a good way of getting the offer bumped up to something more reasonable.

#15 ·
Hi Mark, I have looked on Autotrader and E bay.

E Bay has 4 Titanium X Sport but 3 of them are the early models whereas Tony's is a 2012

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=ford+mondeo+titanium+x+sport&_sacat=0&_sop=3&rt=nc&Fuel=Petrol&_dcat=9844

Autotrader has one like Tony's, Private sale - 8 Owners and 47,000 miles (allegedly) thats £7,000.00

Agree - always thought Ins would go along with what was typical similar/same on autotrader

Their offer is supposed to get you back in the equivalent of what's been lost

Tony's car has genuine new engine and recon transmission

Reactions: stonekeeper
#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
They ain't budging on £4000 and won't consider cars on auto trader and the like.

They are going purely from book valuation (using Glass's and CAP and averaging out between the two), despite my car having £6k worth of work before I purchased it and being in good condition - this also is not being considered.

To buy back they want £1.5k (what on earth).

I don't have access to either Glass's or CAP to see this info, anyone that can help on this would be most appreciated.

I'll submit a complaint with the FOS and see how I get on there.

#17 ·
Sorry i am a bit late to the party so unsure of why it's being written off and for what damage.

Was it stolen recovered?

or is the "Claim" against accidental damage caused by the RAC?

I have no experience of an insurance company paying out for a mechanical/electrical fault.

My tuppenneth though based on the money you have already spent on other things, engine/gearbox etc.

Could you repair the Car for £2,500?

If so

Try to change tack with the Insurance Company and suggest accepting £2,500 for the repairs on condition they Don't write the car off?

Otherwise you want them to source a replacement vehicle to the same spec

They may accept this because the write off decision would be based upon the cost of the repairs plus recovery and hire car charges whilst repair is done etc etc.

#19 ·
They ain't budging on £4000 and won't consider cars on auto trader and the like.

They are going purely from book valuation (using Glass's and CAP and averaging out between the two), despite my car having £6k worth of work before I purchased it and being in good condition - this also is not being considered.

To buy back they want £1.5k (what on earth).

I don't have access to either Glass's or CAP to see this info, anyone that can help on this would be most appreciated.

I'll submit a complaint with the FOS and see how I get on there.
Looks like the valuation problem is your car appears to be rare.

240bhp petrol

Are they looking at the right car because there are lots of Diesels in their estimate if you allow for your mileage

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=price-asc&postcode=m456dj&radius=1500&make=FORD&model=MONDEO&include-delivery-option=on&price-from=500&year-from=2012&year-to=2012&transmission=Automatic

#21 ·
Out of curiosity, who is your insurer?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.