Ford Automobiles Forum banner

5th and 6th gear noise

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  armis55 
#1 ·
Hey there guys!

I drive a 2006 Ford Mondeo with the 2.2 tdci engine and it has fault I don't seem to understand what's causing it and how to fix it, so maybe someone of you have experience and can tell me what that could be.

The engine works normally from 1st to 4th gear under any amounts of acceleration, but when it's in 5th or 6th gear and holding a steady gas going at about 80-100 km/h (about 50-60 mp/h) the engine noise gets really loud and drones. This happens only when the outside temperature on the dash reaches 20°C (68°F), if it's lower than that, it doesn't happen.

For the record, I will name a couple of things regarding the car if that makes difference:
- EGR valve has been blanked off
- 250000 km on the clock (155k miles approx.)
- No fault codes regarding this particular case (only a yaw rate sensor failure code that i am already aware of)
- Oil, filters and other service is taken care of as soon as required

#2 ·
Is it teh engine noise changing or noise from the gearbox transmitting through

the cabin?

Low oil level in the gearbox?

5th and 6th gears are on the same output shaft so maybe worn bearings.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Is it teh engine noise changing or noise from the gearbox transmitting through

the cabin?

Low oil level in the gearbox?

5th and 6th gears are on the same output shaft so maybe worn bearings.
It's an engine noise definitely and only appears when i hold a light steady throttle. Can't really feel any vibration or rattling through the gear leaver.

I don't really know about the gearbox oil, haven't checked that yet.

Also, let's say i'm going 100 km/h and the noise is there with outside temperature showing 20 degrees Celsius and as soon as it drops to 19 degrees, engine noise goes back to normal.

#4 ·
is the egr blanked or deleted?

when i deleted mine i noticed more noise with light throttle opening in 5th and 6th gear, ive often thought of putting the egr back in as the engine was much quieter with it.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
did you blank it because it was broken or just to keep things clean?

if it still works try take the blank out and run it and see if the noise quietens down or disappears.
I bought car used and the EGR was already blanked off before so I don't really know. The valve might be faulty or broken, when I cleaned everything, I tested it unbolted form the engine to see what happens and it was twitching back and forth when giving gas so I decided to leave the blanking plate in just because the car runs okay with it in.

But I will try to take it out and see what happens then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.