Ford Automobiles Forum banner

Mk4 Mondeo Diesel Timing Belt Facts

175K views 161 replies 44 participants last post by  arcon 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
After the "Cambelt" thread there seems to be a bit of confusion between engines, especially the 1.8TDCi.

I decided to write a guide on timing belts in the MK4 Diesel, hopefully, it will be made sticky and help to aid any future confusion.

1.8TDCi

PRE 10/07

The 1.8TDCi's built before October 2007 had a Belt and Chain setup.
The fuel pump is driven by a chain from the crank...

The camshaft is driven from the fuel pump via a belt...

Post 10/07
Cars built after October 2007 with the 1.8TDCi engine have two belts.
The fuel pump is belt driven via the crank. Much like the chain, the belt is in a cassette.
This belt also has an oil feed much like the chain, whether or not the belt could be replaced with a chain is still unknown.

The camshaft is then driven from the fuel pump via a belt.

Replacement intervals

Fuel Pump Drive BELT - 10 years/125,000miles.

Fuel Pump Drive CHAIN - 10 years/125,000miles. CARS PRIOR TO THE MK4 MONDEO USING THE CHAIN SETUP DID NOT HAVE A REPLACEMENT INTERVAL
Cambelt - 10 years/125,000miles

THERE IS NO NEED TO REPLACE THE WATER PUMP UNLESS IT FAILS, THE WATER PUMP IS DRIVEN VIA THE AUX BELT

Prices

I have had a price from my local Ford dealer and is booked in on the 5th of December to have the AUX belt, Fuel pump drive belt, and the Cambelt replaced. The price I have for this is £480.17 inclusive of Parts, Labour and VAT.

The following are prices I've had from Ford Parts UK...

Mondeo (+)"GB" 1.8L Duratorq-TDCi (125PS) 5 Door RHD
Timing Belt
Part Number: 1215977
Retail Price: £40.97
You Pay: £32.78

Mondeo (+)"GB" 1.8L Duratorq-TDCi (125PS) 5 Door RHD
Timing Belt Cassette
Part Number: 1562244
Retail Price: £107.29
You Pay: £91.20

2.0/2.2 TDCi

The 2.0 and 2.2 engines both derive from the same PSA engine. The blocks are identical and so are the heads. The only difference is down to the bore sizes and pistons.
They have one timing belt that drives ONE camshaft and a water pump. This may also drive the fuel pump but right I am not sure whether or not it is driven off the camshaft.

As far as Ford is concerned that is all the timing gear that should ever need to be replaced, but if you look at the picture above you will see a chain between the two camshafts. This chain has a history of failing. The main cause of failure is the cogs on the cam are only pressed on and the cogs simply break free from the cams. The picture below (Courtesy of DarrenJLobb) shows the chain in question.

I have been told that it is often worth changing the chain when doing the cambelt, although the cogs on the camshafts aren't easy to replace. I would assume you would have to replace the entire cam, obviously, that could get very expensive!

Replacement Intervals

Timing Belt - 10years/125,000miles
Ford and Peugeot say there is no need to replace the chain between the camshafts regardless of stories surrounding them about failures.

Prices

Timing belt kit (Including water pump) from Ford for the 2.2 comes in at £160 +vat.
Timing belt kit (Including water pump) from Ford for the 2.0 comes in at £185 +vat.

I hope this answers all questions people have about the timing gear on the MK4 Diesel.
Bailes.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for clarifying. I'm actually surprised that the timing belt needs to be replaced as seldom as every 200 000 km,
as I'm from previous cars used to having it done every 60 000 km (bit more than 35 000 miles).

Previous cars I've had, the mechanic has written on the belt cover (using Tip-Ex, no less!) what mileage the timing belt was last done!
Whenever I had it replaced, they just sanded it off and wrote the new service mileage. It did ruing the aesthetics of the engine bay.
Like, why couldn't they just put it down in the service booklet?

Reactions: bender7
#4 ·
Servicing is taken into account with new cars too, not many fleet buyers would want to replace the belt at 60k so manufacturers make it longer.

Thanks for the x-rated pic of the PSA lump, I hope never to see the inside of mines.

#5 ·
costeau said:
Thanks for clarifying. I'm actually surprised that the timing belt needs to be replaced as seldom as every 200 000 km,

as I'm from previous cars used to having it done every 60 000 km (bit more than 35 000 miles).

Previous cars I've had, the mechanic has written on the belt cover (using Tip-Ex, no less!) what mileage the timing belt was last done!

Whenever I had it replaced, they just sanded it off and wrote the new service mileage. It did ruing the aesthetics of the engine bay.

Like, why couldn't they just put it down in the service booklet?
Replaced my timing belt and water pump at 125,000 as per Ford. The condition of belt and pump were, considering the mileage, exemplary. I paid about £250 at a local garage, and that included oil service. The water pump change meant that the coolant was replaced as well

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Car went in to Bridgend Ford today.
Phonecall 2 hours later telling me it's going to be another £200.
Apparently in the price they gave me they didn't include any gaskets or bolts.

Booked back in for Monday, I am pretty pissed off to say the least.

Also think I got a bloody speeding ticket
46/47mph on the speedo in a 40. Might have got away with it, who knows!

#9 ·
Bailes,

I still think its a good deal. After ringing around a load Ford places the price you got is well below average. The inj drive belt is £241 for the part only and fixed price ford promise on the timing belt is £349 fitted.

I'm looking at £485 for the aux belt and timing belt only.

Seán.

#14 ·
Slightly confused. I had my cambelt changed with the auxiliary at 100k for peace of mind by ford at a cost of £400.

I am now on 110k and fast approaching 125k. What will I require to change? Fuel pump belt or chain.

Pics below are from my car on etis. First pic shows the build date. Second pic shows 125k service schedule for the belts

Attachments

#19 ·
Ok so I went to ford today. To question why they hadn't informed me of this belt. They replied by saying that it doesn't exist. After a chat they were adamant that there was no other belts or chains to be done at 125k other than that what was completed (auxiliary and cambelt). I then let it go.

I then made a phone call to a different ford garage. I asked them to clarify what was required at the 125k service. No mention of the fuel pump belt so I decide to mention it. He disappears for 10 mins. He then says he has spoken to the service team and there is a fuel pump chain on my car that does not require changing for the life of the vehicle.

Both were given my reg number.

My car says built November 2007 and apparently has a chain.

Any thoughts

#20 ·
The rule of thumb is all cars after Sept 2007 have a Belt.

When I booked mine in I phoned up and told them exactly what I needed replacing.

Ford even so to replace the Chain every 125k so for them to say it does not need changing is a load of bollucks!

#23 ·
Thanks Bailes1992 and IrishMk4 for you help.

I'm going to go to fords tomorrow with the picture of the cassette and ask them to tell me that it does not exist when I clearly have a picture of the relevant components.

Then when they admit fault for firstly not informing me that this belt requires changing when I asked. Secondly as when I spoke to them today they clearly stated that this belt did not exist and thirdly that the car has a chain (not a belt) and that it never requires changing in the life of the car....I will expect a generous discount and the cambelt replaced once again for free when I have the fuel pump belt (cassette) changed.

More likely ill get a complementary car wash after with a gift of smears all I've my car.

#25 ·
Ok an update for you.

Popped into the Ford Garage today. Asked to speak to the one I spoke to previously. I asked him to confirm that no other items were to be replaced at 125k. He did so.

I then put all the paperwork and diagrams in front and said what is this then.

He disappeared for 15 mins. Come back to utter the words "I am so sorry".

Immediately said that he has spoke to the boss explaining they really need to do something. This is what they are doing

They are now going to replace the fuel pump cassette and cambelt on the car for the price of just the cost price of the fuel pump cassette, this being £192 VAT inclusive. All labour and replacement cambelt will be changed free of charge along with any other little issues they find. Booked in for a week Tuesday.

I seriously owe you guys and this forum.

All I can say is Result.

#26 ·
FairPlay on them holding their hands up and agreeing that it is their fault!
It does make you wonder though that they are missing out massive maintenance items on customers cars though! People who don't know any batter.

#28 ·
Mondeos with 1.8tdci built between (02/2007-02/10/2007) have a chain and belt timing

mondeos1.8tdci built after 02/10/2007 have a belt in oil (instead of chain) and belt timing THANKS BAILES1992.

DONT BELIEVE THIS I HAVE A 57 Mondeo according to Parts, Service and Technical I have a Belt and Chain.

What a shock engine stopped, stripped down to find a Belt Belt system. Contacted Ford they still insisted that I had a belt chain set up.

Told them the teeth had shredded pistons shot and valve bent beyond believe.

Today ALL ford suppliers still tell me I have a belt and chain set up. They have even sent me the technical data by fax.

Suggest anyone who has doubts when they change the cam belt, drain the oil and check the fuel pump to see if belt or chain.

FORD DO NOT KNOW WHICH CAR HAS WHICH ENGINE.

According to FORD 2,600 Ford Mondeo's and 12,000 Focus's have this engine with belt belt combination. They do not know which cars even with the Chassis numbers.

Can someone tell me why a belt should be emmersed in oil which goes HOT and COLD

By the way the belt failed at 106.000 miles.... Timing belt was changed at 85,000. Ford stated as a chain on the fuel pump no need to change.

BEWARNED.......a new engine is going to cost 1400 pounds with a timing change.

Someone at Fords must know this problem. A TIME BOMB WAITING TO EXPLODE ?????

Comments Guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.