Mondeo Mk4 (2010) 2.0 Petrol - Fuel Pump Relay Location - Electrical (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Mondeo Mk4 (2010) 2.0 Petrol - Fuel Pump Relay Location

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 petensally

petensally

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mondeo
  • Name:Pete Flett

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:01 PM

Hi - Hoping someone can help out there!!

Cant locate the Fuel Pump Relay...even Ford in Tamworth got it wrong...they said it was R1 which is actually the Starter Relay. This is the layout...R4 is not used. In the instruction manual does not confirm which one is the Fuel Pump Relay if any! On the Mk3 it was located below the Battery Tray hidden away - but no idea on the Mk4.

ccs-46392-0-49577800-1392928287.jpg

If anybody can help would be very much appreciated - car is currently broken down since Christmas Eve...had the same issue about 10 days ago and Ford advised to replace R1 (wrong one) hence happened again...AA guy was fairly sure was the Relay but again he didn't know where it is!!

Thanks   :unsure:  :unsure:

#2 mike4369

mike4369

Big Megger

• Members
  • 2880 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2014 C Max 1.6TDCi
  • Name:Mike

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:27 PM

http://www.talkford....mation-mk4-r461

F22 passenger side fuse box 20 amp

Edited by mike4369, 26 December 2017 - 02:32 PM.

#3 petensally

petensally

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:33 PM

I'd found that...but just a fuse - isn't there going to be a Relay Box also??

#4 silvercanary

silvercanary

Ford "Mechanic"

• Members
  • 387 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mk1 focus 1.8 16v lx
  • Name:Eddy

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:06 PM

I came across this thread http://www.talkford....uel-pump-issue/. it mentions that R4 for the mk3 is for the horn and the fuel pump. 

There some other bits of info there but no eventual outcome? from the OP who probably went for a new fuel-pump. 

A relay failing on a 7 year old car seems a bit unlikely to me. But a fuel pump failing in a high mileage 7YO car run frequently with low fuel does seem likely (if the pump is submerged in the tank as they can overheat)

#5 petensally

petensally

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:45 PM

POPULAR

Only done 53K...but bit worried about the low fuel remark as often running on low!!

• Grumpyaxeswinger likes this

#6 silvercanary

silvercanary

Ford "Mechanic"

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:03 PM

If you frequently drive it to the point of it slowing down due to starvation then the pump could've worn unusually quickly. Not every car will respond to low fuel in the same way and arguably driving style can affect fuel-pump wear too. [https://mechanics.st...r-tank-run-low]

Have you tried swapping r4 with a known working relay? BTW keep track of whatever you pull out and where it came from so you're not chasing your tail...

#7 petensally

petensally

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:57 PM

R4 is not used - nothing in there at all.

#8 silvercanary

silvercanary

Ford "Mechanic"

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:08 AM

have you tried swapping r9?

#9 titchy

titchy

TF regular

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mk4 mondeo 2.0
  • Name:william

Posted 27 December 2017 - 04:45 PM

The relay is an internal part of the bcm and can not be changed, if the fuse is ok and getting power then the next step would be to check for power and ground at the fuel pump connector.

Sometimes beating on the fuel tank with the ignition switched on can get the pump to work.

#10 silvercanary

silvercanary

Ford "Mechanic"

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 08:53 PM

great idea william. slap (hard) in and around the middle of the tank from underneath a dozen or so times is a . slap it a few times then try to prime the pump (switch on and off ignition). and repeat for a while. 

I had a seized pump on my focus after it had sat for 3 years and I managed to pry open the pump up and push the impeller (I could probably have done that with a pin through the inlet opening) and it still works now and it didn't take much to get it moving. 

BE CAREFUL WORKING IN AND AROUND THE FUEL TANK obviously

Maybe a combination of running low on fuel and little use has caused the pump to stick. It's not the first time I've come across failed / sticky pumps on little used EFI vehicles. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users