Few questions about the mk4 if poss - Mondeo Mk4 General Discussion - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Few questions about the mk4 if poss

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jim1978

Jim1978

TF regular

• Members
  • 998 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford focus titanium
  • Name:Jim

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:46 AM

Hi to all, I've been a member of talk Ford for many years but I'm new to the mk4 mondeo. I picked my first one up a few days ago and so far I dot know why I've not bought one before. But I have a few questions if poss. Mine is a 2007 1.8 tdci zetec, it's had a full service life, it's currently at 108,000 and it sounds great. The car is in mint condition too. Now a friend of mine decided to put the downers on my happy face and told me that if mine has a timing belt, then I'm in for trouble. Is this as bad as it sounds. I'm going to call the Ford dealers that's done the servicing to see if they have changed the belt. The other questions of poss are what should the car typically idle at, as mine is a steady 800 rpm which I find quite high. Also I'm having the odd problem with the Sony head unit, it doesn't always come on with the ignition and doesn't always turn off when turning ignition off. Is this one of those known faults
Many thanks for your time

#2 Spare Wheel

Spare Wheel

TF regular

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:17 AM

...Now a friend of mine decided to put the downers on my happy face and told me that if mine has a timing belt, then I'm in for trouble. Is this as bad as it sounds...

Well the belts do need changing eventually. I'm not that sure about the 1.8 but my guess is that yours is scheduled for change at 125k.

You should be able to tell from ETIS what the schedule for your car is and whether it has been done (in the Ford system...it won't be kept up to date if it has been serviced at an independent).

In any case if you intend to do say 50k in the car you'll change the belt once so why not get it done early and get it over with? That way you'll not take as much risk with the belt failing early and wrecking the engine.

#3 Spare Wheel

Spare Wheel

TF regular

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:30 AM

The other questions of poss are what should the car typically idle at, as mine is a steady 800 rpm which I find quite high. Also I'm having the odd problem with the Sony head unit, it doesn't always come on with the ignition and doesn't always turn off when turning ignition off. Is this one of those known faults
Many thanks for your time

800 rpm doesn't sound too bad; probably 750 - 800 is normal and if it is stable I wouldn't worry about it.

As far as the HU is concerned, it sounds like a fault,  but if you turn it off while the ignition is on it won't come on next time the ignition switches on. 

#4 mike wilson

mike wilson

SMeghead

• Members
  • 1120 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:12 AM

POPULAR

The 1.8 uses two "belts"; one from the crank to drive the HP pump and one from there to drive the cam.  The _maximum_ change interval it 125k or 10 years.  It is highly recommended that you change them well before then.  Some have suggested 80k, I think 100k is a good compromise.

Now for the complication.  Early ones (and yours may be one of them) have a chain instead of a belt for the first one.  On the MkIII this was a non-service item.  That status has been revoked and the service interval (maximum, remember) isback to 125k.

Now for the bad news.  If yours has not been done (do NOT take a garage's word for it - you need to see invoices for the proper cost) it needs doing as a matter of urgency as it is both near the max mileage and at the time limit.  This will involve both belts (the first one is inside the motor and is in a cassette) the tensioner and various other seals and covers.  It's a substantial sum.  The upside is that it's over with for another 100k and you don't need to change the water pump as on the PSA engines, as it can be accessed without removing the timing belts.

Your tickover is, from memory, a bit low.  Should be about 950, iirc.

My head unit occasionally takes a few seconds to wake up.  It's never stayed on.  Seems to be a bit of a lottery.  Some people have dreadful difficulties.

The only other advice I would offer is not to labour the engine.  An absolute minimum of 60mph in top gear and that at very light throttle openings.  You can use 50/5th and 40/4th as well.  30 in 4th is a no-no.

• adam7h likes this

#5 Jim1978

Jim1978

TF regular

• Members
  • 998 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford focus titanium
  • Name:Jim

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:13 AM

That's great and thank you for all your replies. Some fantastic knowledge on here. I'm going to make some calls today as the majority of the servicing and repairs were carried out by fords so fingers crossed. Thank you all again :)

#6 adam7h

adam7h

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:51 PM

The 1.8 uses two "belts"; one from the crank to drive the HP pump and one from there to drive the cam. The _maximum_ change interval it 125k or 10 years. It is highly recommended that you change them well before then. Some have suggested 80k, I think 100k is a good compromise.

Now for the complication. Early ones (and yours may be one of them) have a chain instead of a belt for the first one. On the MkIII this was a non-service item. That status has been revoked and the service interval (maximum, remember) isback to 125k.

Now for the bad news. If yours has not been done (do NOT take a garage's word for it - you need to see invoices for the proper cost) it needs doing as a matter of urgency as it is both near the max mileage and at the time limit. This will involve both belts (the first one is inside the motor and is in a cassette) the tensioner and various other seals and covers. It's a substantial sum. The upside is that it's over with for another 100k and you don't need to change the water pump as on the PSA engines, as it can be accessed without removing the timing belts.

Your tickover is, from memory, a bit low. Should be about 950, iirc.

My head unit occasionally takes a few seconds to wake up. It's never stayed on. Seems to be a bit of a lottery. Some people have dreadful difficulties.

The only other advice I would offer is not to labour the engine. An absolute minimum of 60mph in top gear and that at very light throttle openings. You can use 50/5th and 40/4th as well. 30 in 4th is a no-no.

Cheers for the info Mike, v helpful. Out of curiosity why not 30mph in 4th if you're not accelerating? Obviously 5th or 6th is not recommended but would 4th not rest the engine if you are holding a 30mph on level(ish) ground?

All help much appreciated

TIA
Adam

Sent from my SM-G930F using TalkFord.com mobile app

#7 mike wilson

mike wilson

SMeghead

• Members
  • 1120 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:47 PM

If you're really not accelerating, then OK.  But it's difficult to judge and these engines seem to have a habit of knocking out their little ends if slogged.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users