DPF error code P2463 - Diesel Engines (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

DPF error code P2463

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 frembrit

frembrit

MEG Corporal

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 2564 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo MK4.5
  • Name:Dave

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:22 AM

POPULAR

Darn it...Last week I booked the car in for an MOT for this Wednesday and then the EML comes on over the weekend. Forscan shows P2463 code - Soot accumulation. 

The car drives fine with no loss of power. 

On Sunday 26th Feb I drove the return trip along the M4 to Bath from Heathrow, so a pretty good run. Prior to that, it was sat for 3 weeks in an airport carpark. But I drove to Heathrow from Bath to get there.

I've read a few posts on here and the Forscan forum that have suggested an italian tune up, which so far hasn't worked (but I've only been driving my normal roads but in a lower gear). Hopefully I'll get on the motorway tonight for a longer run.

Another suggestion was that it could be a blocked sensor rather than the actual DPF, worth trying if the above doesn't work? 

I've not got under the car yet and don't know where the sensor is, but I guess it would be obvious.

Any other suggestions on what to check please? 

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

• Lionian and ToolmanTaylor21 like this

Mondeo 2.2 TDCI Titanium X Sport (MK4.5), Panther Black | S-Max 2.5T front brake calipers and 316mm discs |  Fuel Log

Now Dead - Mondeo ST24, 2000 W reg, Amparo Blue | ST170 Calipers and Discs | Goodridge Hoses | GW Decat | K&N Panel Filter | Black eyes | LPG

Honda Hornet, 2004, Matt Blue.

#2 frembrit

frembrit

MEG Corporal

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 2564 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:56 PM

Well, just got home from a 45 min drive and thought I'd try a static regen, it got to about 10% before it stopped/failed. 

Read the DTC and got code P244C - Catalyst temperature too low during regeneration, bank 1.

Is it still worth going for a drive along a motorway? or should I start thinking about replacing parts, does the 2.2 have a vaporiser in the exhaust?

Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails

• templow.JPG

Mondeo 2.2 TDCI Titanium X Sport (MK4.5), Panther Black | S-Max 2.5T front brake calipers and 316mm discs |  Fuel Log

Now Dead - Mondeo ST24, 2000 W reg, Amparo Blue | ST170 Calipers and Discs | Goodridge Hoses | GW Decat | K&N Panel Filter | Black eyes | LPG

#3 titchy

titchy

TF regular

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mk4 mondeo 2.0
  • Name:william

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:22 PM

Could be one of the exhaust temperature sensors at fault, there is pids for them in Forscan.

#4 frembrit

frembrit

MEG Corporal

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 2564 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:26 AM

POPULAR

I think I found that. This was the readings a few mins after the regen failed (see pic).

Anyway, I took the car out for a long drive last night and (I think) every time it trys to start a regen the 'Engine Malfunction' warning appears and the car goes in to limp mode. Turning the car off and on again clears it until it trys to regen again. (The Amber engine light has been on since Saturday)

However, this morning the Engine Malfunction warning came up straight away and put the car in to limp mode. I decided that it's probably best not to drive it now and took the bike to work  :naughty: (once I got it started) Just need to find time (and daylight) to have a look undeneath.

Attached Thumbnails

• Livedata.JPG

• morrismen likes this

#5 mike4369

mike4369

Big Megger

• Members
  • 2983 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:2014 C Max 1.6TDCi
  • Name:Mike

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:24 PM

Have you tried some additive in the diesel - I use some regularly with (touch wood) no problems with the DPF? Worth a try ?

#6 frembrit

frembrit

MEG Corporal

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 2564 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:31 PM

Thanks. I think it's too late for my current situation but I'll bear it in mind once this has been diagnosed and fixed.

#7 frembrit

frembrit

MEG Corporal

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 2564 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:23 PM

Ford Parts UK just got back to me and the DPF Sensor is the same as one for a Focus http://www.fordparts...__f_1786775.htm  so at least I know what to look out for.

"Working from home" on Friday so will take a look then hopefully.

#8 JIMMER15

JIMMER15

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:55 AM

Hi, having had the same warning come on my car 2011 2.0tdci I started investigating: Happened twice on longer runs, car probably trying to regen, it looks like it might be the fuel vapouriser in the dpf, these get blocked so the dpf can't regen as its basically a glow plug that helps to burns extra fuel put into the dpf when it needs a regen. Haven't comfirmed this on mine yet but it maybe the same for you......

#9 frembrit

frembrit

MEG Corporal

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 2564 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:06 AM

POPULAR

Thanks, but I've read that the 2.2 doesn't have the injector/vapouriser. Although I can't confirm that as I haven't looked yet. 

There seems to be plenty of info on the 2.0 but very little on the 2.2 diesel, but yes, the vapouriser getting blocked seems to be a common problem on the 2.0.

Good luck with yours.

• JIMMER15 likes this

#10 frembrit

frembrit

MEG Corporal

• Lifetime Gold Member
  • 2564 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:37 PM

Hmmm, guess what? The 2.2 does have a 5th injector / Fuel Vaporiser (see pics). God knows why a Ford technician said it didn't have one (on one of those 'ask me' type websites). I bet this is the problem now, but I worked it out a bit late and the parts dept was closed.

I do have a DPF sensor on it's way for tomorrow though. (last pic) This is mounted behind the engine, above and to one side of the exhaust. You can see the DPF pressure hoses going to it in the top of the 1st pic.

Attached Thumbnails

• vaporiser.jpg
  • vapouriserconnections.jpg
  • DPFSensor.jpg

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users