Park heater problem - DTC: B1D31 - Diesel Engines (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Park heater problem - DTC: B1D31

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 riikomi

riikomi

TF regular

• Members
  • 630 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2009 2.2

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:34 PM

Car: Mondeo 2009, 2.2 TDCi

I've been having non-start issues on the park heater w/ a B1D31 DTC (Flame detected prior to normal operation). So more than often, the park heater does not start, as requested by the timer. However while driving, the heater works perfectly in Aux Heater mode!

Any ideas what that DTC means in practice and what to do about it?

Another issue which bugs me is that Forscan shows only 12V even if an external battery charger is connected, and there is actually14.3V on the battery terminals. The battery as such appears to be in good condition:

- the engine starts effortlessly even if there is -20C, despite that the park heater has not been activated

- after a 12 hour standstill, battery voltage is 12.5V - almost full charge

Using ForScan, I've today commenced "Forced module reset" on the heater unit. Anyone out there has an idea what that reset does? At least, the heater started when selecting "Active now" on the dash display (with the external battery charger connected)... 

#2 mike wilson

mike wilson

SMeghead

• Members
  • 1113 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:26 PM

Might be worth you joining the www.fordmpv.com forum. There's a lot of experience with the fuel fired auxiliary heater on there.

#3 dutchguy

dutchguy

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mondeo mk4 2.5t
  • Name:Lars

Posted 05 January 2017 - 10:26 PM

Possibly a bad glow plug or connection.
If i remember correctly, the glow plug doubles as a flame detection sensor. (At least in certain versions of the heater)

#4 riikomi

riikomi

TF regular

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:15 AM

I took a look at fordmpv.com - thanks for the tip. Couldn't find a thread comparable to my issue, though.

I've been reading through troubleshooting guides for Webasto and Eber, and they suggest that the flame detector could be faulty.

But which unit is there on Mondy MK4? Some say that MK3 had Eber and MK4 has Webasto, Ford Etis says that MK4 and MK4.5 have different units...

#5 getsome

getsome

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo MK4.5 TDCi
  • Name:Raffe

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:45 AM

A sooty glowplug will have issues igniting the fuel. On my V50 I had the same issue. The 2 extra volts when car is running is enough to make the plug hotter and ignite the fuel. Change or clean the glowplug and your problem will go away :)

#6 riikomi

riikomi

TF regular

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 01:05 PM

I have tried to find the unit info but to no sure avail...

It is possibly Thermo Top V by Webasto. To this unit, it appears that there are no spare parts available (glow plug, flame detector) apart from purchasing the entire burner inside the heater. But what I have read on the net, this type of a problem could also arise from a leaking seal inside the unit or a cracked ceramic core. Don't know yet if the seal/core come with the burner or if they are separate items inside the Webasto.

Today the heater worked okay as park heater and as aux heater. I'll try first to become sure that battery charge has nothing to do w/ this issue.

#7 riikomi

riikomi

TF regular

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 03:35 PM

Confirmed - it's Thermo Top V.

How do I know it for a fact? There is a sticker on the underside of the hood, close to the hinge! The sticker shows model, power, power consumption and part# for Ford and Volvo.

Never ever had I paid attention to the sticker...

#8 getsome

getsome

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo MK4.5 TDCi
  • Name:Raffe

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:19 PM

Here is the workshop manual for your heater : 

https://www.lrch.nl/...hermo_Top_V.pdf

#9 riikomi

riikomi

TF regular

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for the link. Here's a video on dismantling: https://www.youtube....h?v=IQ-lRnmGzLg

#10 riikomi

riikomi

TF regular

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:38 PM

I don't have much news here. The heater had not started today, so I selected "Active now" and presto, it started. WTF?

I checked the codes and found the earlier code (Flame detected prior..) but there was also U3000 (Circuit voltage below threshold limit - or something like that). This disturbs me.... I had recharged the battery and after a standstill of 16 hrs, terminal voltage was still 12.7 V = full charge. Of course, this reading was obtained in a warm garage.

I have learned that this Thermo Top V model is a notorious piece of equipment. It has been used in a vast array of makes, but only as factory-fitted model. And problems are plenty. While spare parts are scarce, some do exist.

My symptoms -unless resulting from low battery charge- imply that the glow plug might be defective. The glow plug also acts as flame detector (= temperature sender when the glow period is over). But the plug is not available as a spare part - a complete burner must be replaced (+200 Euros). There are more than one variant, so I should dig the heater out and check the part number for the burner.

Anyone knows what is the inner diameter of the coolant hoses going to the passenger compartment heater core?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users