Electric auxiliary heater! - Diesel Engines (Mondeo Mk3) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Electric auxiliary heater!

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 clau_logo

clau_logo

Little Megger

• Members
  • 180 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MondeoMk4 EcoBoost
  • Name:Claudiu

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:01 AM

Hi guys,

As my car doesn't have an electric auxiliary heater and when I bought the car the guy gave me in a box the electric auxiliary heater, he didn't have the time to get it on the car, I'm trying to get it to work on my car.

So I have all the hoses, I managed to find the diagram of the heater and I'm blocked at this moment.

I want to know if after mounting it on the card and making all the electrical connections is necessary to program the electric auxiliary heater with an IDS?

I know that below 5 degrees Celsius it works only 2 spark plugs, and when it's 0 degrees all 3 are working. But how the cars knows about the temperature? I know that has a connection with the PCM, and all the wiring is going to be very strange because they have to include those 2 relays, the F3 fuse, the PCM.

Can you help me with some info about getting it to work, I promise I will put a tutorial for others to know if the don't have the auxiliary heater mounted on the car.

Thanks guys!

Edited by clau_logo, 03 January 2015 - 09:13 AM.

Drive safely, girls prefer you in one piece!

#2 peter scott

peter scott

???

• Members
  • 3621 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:04 Zetec130TDCi Eur3
  • Name:peter scott

Posted 03 January 2015 - 10:46 AM

The outside temperature sensor is somewhere near the front bumper at the (UK) driver's side. I think this triggers the orange dashboard frost warning below 4 C and triggers the warning to turn red below 0 C. I suspect this is what the heater uses. Perhaps you could arrange some relay or other circuitry from the warning lights.

The diagram below is from a Jaguar X Type Diesel.

Peter

Attached Thumbnails

• Aux Heat.jpg

Edited by peter scott, 03 January 2015 - 10:56 AM.

F-Super Information ..................TDCi Injector Information

TDCi Injector Cleaning...............Injector Leak-Off Test

Ford ETIS........                  ..  .........Peter's other interests .............. ....

#3 clau_logo

clau_logo

Little Megger

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:21 AM

Yesterday, I found this schematic, of an old mk3.

Mine is 2005, probably it will not have the jacks put on the car and they will be missing.

In this schematic, I think that the links goes to the PCM.

If so, the TIS DVD shows that I have to link first plug R79 directly to the relay no 1 and then in the battery junction box with links going to the 2 and 3 plug, PCM, relay no 2 and then to the central junction box.

But I can't figure it out, which are the pins in the PCM that I have to connect the whole electrical installation and after that what settings I have to make to get it to work.

If you think or have an idea about this please let me know.

I'm kind of stuck in this point, event my electrician doesn't know, even ford dealer.

Attached Thumbnails

• incalzitorantigel.jpg

#4 Master-of-none

Master-of-none

Clever cloggs

• Members
  • 1520 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:1.0 125PS Focus Ti

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:52 AM

Is it to pins 61&62 of connector C200? - following the comment box "common rail manual transmission as of 02/2003"

Edited by Master-of-none, 04 January 2015 - 11:54 AM.

Weaselling out of things is important to learn,it's what separates us from the animals Except the weasel

#5 salta

salta

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 5689 posts

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:59 PM

who is asking the questions here ... clau logo ..or master of one ..   i find cross posting very confusing im sorry..       THE  pcm .. controls the auxiliary coolant heater via the main coolant engine stat.. 

the outer fender temperature sender is a warning sensor for weather warning system and does not control the aux heater ..    [for example . IF the fender sensor controlled the aux coolant heater .. then evern i situation where the engine was operating at its opt. temp and had been running ok for a period .. of time during a journey . then the ambient of ouside cabin air temperature drops and the auxiliary heater would come in . EVEN WHEN it was not required... hence the only time the aux.. coolant heater operates is when the engnine block is below .. zero c ... CLAu logo ..  Im not sure what motor model you are dealing with but since this is the mk 3 forum im assuming its a 0i to o6,7

..       THE  pcm .. controls the auxiliary coolant heater via the main coolant engine stat.. 

the outer fender temperature sender is a warning sensor for weather warning system and does not control the aux heater ..    [for example . IF the fender sensor controlled the aux coolant heater .. then evern i situation where the engine was operating at its opt. temp and had been running ok for a period .. of time during a journey . then the ambient of outside cabin air temperature drops and the auxiliary heater would come in . EVEN WHEN it was not required... hence the only time the aux.. coolant heater operates is when the engine block is below .. zero c ... CLAu logo ..  Im not sure what motor model you are dealing with but since this is the mk 3 forum im assuming its a 0i to o6,7

IF you are fitting an aux.. coolant heater on a mk3. the the wiring and components are already in place . ie.. underNeath the front bulkhead . accessible from underneath the motor .   ALL mk three motors in my opinion were fitted with this component .  hence i dont see why the necessity for making a [card] unless that is you are fitting an auxillery heater to a model which was not specifically designed for this pariculay component ..  but as i say the mk 3 mondeo is specifically desingned for this and already has its sensors and electrical component relays etc in postion ..   POSSIBLY more information on your particulay circumstance s for this job are required CLAU and also if you are mofifying the existant auxilery circuitry of the particular mk 3 . mondeo and if you are fitting someting like an Eisbacher unit . in a different region .. more info pls . good luck with your project ..s 

Edited by salta, 04 January 2015 - 04:13 PM.

#6 peter scott

peter scott

???

• Members
  • 3621 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:04 Zetec130TDCi Eur3
  • Name:peter scott

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:36 PM

Oops!

New Year Resolution: Must engage brain before opening mouth!

Peter :tonofbricks:

Edited by peter scott, 04 January 2015 - 07:37 PM.

F-Super Information ..................TDCi Injector Information

TDCi Injector Cleaning...............Injector Leak-Off Test

Ford ETIS........                  ..  .........Peter's other interests .............. ....

#7 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 28177 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:44 PM

Most MK3's ive looked at on the ETIS say aux heater not fitted.

They switch on when the inlet air temperature is around zero or below.

No idea if it monitors the engine temperature also.

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

#8 oldbod

oldbod

Veteran

• Members
  • 5525 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 2002 TDCi 130
  • Name:Alan Severne

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:06 AM

Most engine heaters i've come across use a combination of air temp and coolant temp for should i? plus can ? logic.
iow - is weather cold enough and coolant cold enough to be worth turning on and has system got enough volts/fuel to support that.

According to etis i have elec aux heater on my 02 lx but car not quick to warm up. Must try reconnecting egr. Think i remember reading the heater only puts out 750 watts anyway. Prob more heat from engine waste driving alternator to supply that 750 w....must check heater fuses...

Edited by oldbod, 05 January 2015 - 04:13 AM.

The other replies you've had or will get are from people who know a lot more about this stuff than I do.  Treat what I post as something along the lines of intending to prompt "it won't be that, but I wonder if"  thoughts rather than informed advice. I know I do - treat my own thoughts that way I mean. 

#9 clau_logo

clau_logo

Little Megger

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:33 PM

Hi guys,

I'll give you the VIN number for my car: WF04XXGBB45C52485.

The car's info as it results from reading the microcat is without these electrical auxiliary heater.

As for now, my documentation about mounting this system on my car, help me to figure it out how to make all the connections ( wiring and hose).

Taking this into cosideration, i'm living in Romania/Arad city and the car was been bought from Germany.

I've managed to take some pictures of the installation and wiring.

But i'm still having 2 questions:

1. connecting to pins 61 and 62 of the PCM, is a difficult problem, because i have to find a jack to connect with the pins in the PCM. In order to make a perfect contact in the PCM, is it ok to get the pins or the hall jack of the auxiliary heater from the other car? To be more specific about this, the PCM has a large jack and i didn't managed to find i way to connect another jack, i'm supposing the i have to remove the pins from the old jack and put it to this one. I this correct?

2. The PCM, is commanding the auxiliary heater from a setting that i have to make, or is commanding by others circuits and components and is no settings required to make?

I think i'll put it on the car this week and i'll make some pictures as i promise with the evolution.

Please try and help me with this questions. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 02.jpg
  • 03.jpg

#10 PURPLE_2L_LX

PURPLE_2L_LX

Mk3 Forum Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 28177 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:MK4.5 TDCI 140

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:02 PM

Have you looked under the car to see if the loom/plug is already fitted?

Sometimes these things are in place and just need wiring up.

I can only see 2 wires coming out of the plug on the right? And 2 relays, I would expect

to see 3 relays.

As to what triggers them is a mystery. Very little info on the aux heater.  I would be tempted

to wire them to a manual switch.

PS. Etis.. It says your voice activation module is German?

MK4.5 TDCI 140 Business Estate.

MK3 FUSE INFO CLICK HERE ... FORD WIKI CLICK HERE .... FORD ETIS CLICK HERE

Adding your location may find someone local who could offer assistance.

F-Super, Bluetooth OBDII (ELM) and a MS509 scanners (test subjects required).

ForDiag now available to victims.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users