I Am Also Looking For An Electrical Guru - Electrical (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

I Am Also Looking For An Electrical Guru

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 wh0s_the_daddy

wh0s_the_daddy

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo mk4 estate

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

On my Mondeo MK4 estate the brake lights are just the outer lights and the third brake light.

The inner lights are the tail light and fog light.

All 3 rear lenses are for tail lights.

BRAKE LIGHTS

Posted Image

REAR FOGS

Posted Image

TAIL LIGHTS

Posted Image

What i want to do is have the 3 tail lights as normal and then ALL 3 LIGHTS AS BRAKE LIGHTS.

BUT when the rear fog light is pressed then the rear lights revert back to standard.

so this is what i want...

Posted Image

is this possible, is it too complicated ?

thanks

2010 Mondeo MK4 Zetec Estate 2.0TDCi NOW WITH- Privacy Glass - Convers+ fitted - rear light brake light mod - 18" Focus tiianium wheels - HID projector lamps - LED side lights - Sport front fogs WITH DRL modification - Sport front grille upper & lower - sport front bumper lower skirt - rear tailgate spoiler - sport / titanium rear bumper skirt - MK4.5 mirror indicators with wing indicators removed and MK4.5 S badge in their place - Twin exhaust set up, FR & RR parking sensors..... Sport sideskirts fitted soon and a Bluefin.....

#2 ChrisDean

ChrisDean

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 72 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mk4 Zetec 2.0 TDCI
  • Name:Chris Dean

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:48 PM

I'm sure it's possible but very unlikely to be legal.

#3 wh0s_the_daddy

wh0s_the_daddy

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

I'm sure it's possible but very unlikely to be legal.

Why not legal ?

the tail lights won't change, the only difference is i'd have all the rear light up when i apply the brakes, but revert back to standard when i turn on rear fogs.

2010 Mondeo MK4 Zetec Estate 2.0TDCi NOW WITH- Privacy Glass - Convers+ fitted - rear light brake light mod - 18" Focus tiianium wheels - HID projector lamps - LED side lights - Sport front fogs WITH DRL modification - Sport front grille upper & lower - sport front bumper lower skirt - rear tailgate spoiler - sport / titanium rear bumper skirt - MK4.5 mirror indicators with wing indicators removed and MK4.5 S badge in their place - Twin exhaust set up, FR & RR parking sensors..... Sport sideskirts fitted soon and a Bluefin.....

#4 4titx

4titx

Over Enthusiastic

• Members
  • 5374 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 4 Titx
  • Name:Phil

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

The regs are a bit fluffy here. You must have 2 stop light on a vehicle (not being a motorcycle) and their power (they call it wattage) must be between 15 to 36W.

You can have any number of additional stop lamps providing they fulfil the regulations of the regulatory stop lamps you have fitted, i.e regards general position, colour and intensity. You are allowed one centrally mounted stop lamp but not 2.

http://www.legislati...chedule/12/made

As to whether you can wire the tail lamps up as additional stop lamps I guess so, but you will have to get to the cables in the boot area.

Must admit I did think about it with my LED conversion.

If your tailgate light assembly is like the hatch you’ll find the middle tail light is a dual filament lamp but only one connection is present in the lampholder. I guess Ford did this to maintain light equally across the light fittings with respect to filament position.
LEDs, whats your Watts.
2.0 TDCi TitX in Hypnotic Silver

Dont thank me, thank him. I'm just the messenger.

#5 wh0s_the_daddy

wh0s_the_daddy

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:52 PM

The regs are a bit fluffy here. You must have 2 stop light on a vehicle (not being a motorcycle) and their power (they call it wattage) must be between 15 to 36W.

You can have any number of additional stop lamps providing they fulfil the regulations of the regulatory stop lamps you have fitted, i.e regards general position, colour and intensity. You are allowed one centrally mounted stop lamp but not 2.

http://www.legislati...chedule/12/made

As to whether you can wire the tail lamps up as additional stop lamps I guess so, but you will have to get to the cables in the boot area.

Must admit I did think about it with my LED conversion.

If your tailgate light assembly is like the hatch you’ll find the middle tail light is a dual filament lamp but only one connection is present in the lampholder. I guess Ford did this to maintain light equally across the light fittings with respect to filament position.

Thanks very much, i can run cables easily enough, i've built and modified wiring looms in the past.

I checked the rear light cluster and you are correct in that the middle light has one connection but is fitted with a dual filament bulb.

I can modify the middle light cluster from one filament connection to two connections, i have done this before on a previous car ( i just ripped apart a cluster from a breakers yard and used the connections to modify ).

So the hardware i can easily do, it's just the necessery wiring diagram i need, relays ?

thanks

#6 wh0s_the_daddy

wh0s_the_daddy

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:28 PM

i was thinking of using 2 types of relay ( 2 per side ).

1 x 4 pin relay to power up the other 2 brake lights, taking the power to the relay from a ignition switched live and the power to switch the relay from the existing brake light feed.

1 x 5 pin relay to switch between fogs and brake lights.
( i would also break the fog light wire and use the 5 pin relay to make the connection)

So i am hoping that i would have all the lights on the rear lit up when i brake including the high level brake light (after i have modified the middle light cluster for a dual filament bulb).

BUT when the rear fog light switch is switched on then the inner lamp will be fog and the other 2 lamps will be brake.

All 3 lamps in any case will still be tail lamps - hope all this makes sense ?

here is a crude drawing....

Posted Image

any thoughts ?

thanks

#7 4titx

4titx

Over Enthusiastic

• Members
  • 5374 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:47 AM

Yes that looks like it will work but include a diode across the coil as the lamps are fed from a semiconductor, there may already be one in the central control box protecting the circuit but better safe than sorry.

My only concern would be the amount of light for the guy behind you, its bad enough when people use rear fogs or leave their foot on the footbrake so that one reason I didn’t do the mod.

This was a mod I did to mine in 2010 which in daylight doesn’t look too good due to the infra red content but utilises the clear lens. I’ve since changed all the lamps to LED with the exception of the reversing light at the moment. Muts take some uptodate images. The closeup of the rear tail light is a gif of the indicator flashing but isnt workig on the site by the looks of things.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1260915824-TSMALL_DBTAIL.jpg
  • med_1260287251-02.gif
  • 1260203347-TAILTHREENIGHT05.jpg

LEDs, whats your Watts.

#8 wh0s_the_daddy

wh0s_the_daddy

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:59 AM

Thanks, i take our point regarding the amount of light out of the rear, i don't tend to sit with my foot on the brake, it annoys the hell out of me when i'm behind a car at the lights and the brake lights are lighting up my car like a christmas tree.

When you say put a diode across the coil, where on the (crude) drawing would you suggest, and what sort of diode ?

i was thinking of putting the relays in a proper fuse box like this....

Posted Image

there is a decent amount of space in the tailgate behind the plastic cover to mount this sort of thing.

thanks

#9 4titx

4titx

Over Enthusiastic

• Members
  • 5374 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:48 AM

A diode betweem 86 and 85 with the cathode connected to 86 ad anode to 85 which will absorb the coil back EMF (which can be up to 70V). IN4002 upwards.
LEDs, whats your Watts.

#10 wh0s_the_daddy

wh0s_the_daddy

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:41 AM

Thanks Phil, much appreciated.

i have a week off work in a couple of weeks so i will do the job then, i will post up my results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users