Clonky noise in back of seat (can feel it too) when driving round corners? - Interior / Exterior (Mk3 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Clonky noise in back of seat (can feel it too) when driving round corners?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 pistolpete1

pistolpete1

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

Hi all,

Seat has developed a similar problem to my old 2002 Mondeo, which i fixed by taking the back cover off and lubricating all the moving parts in the back of the driver's seat.

Naturally, I've done the same with this problem too, and although it has improved, I'm still hearing and feeling a 'clonk' at the top of my back on both sides, depending on which way I'm going round a corner (at speed!).

I have checked all bolts in the back part of the seat, and lubricated the two moving bars that activate the anti whip lash headrest and act as a top back support at the same time.

I do feel that the clonk does come from lower in the seat back occasionally too, which is really strange.

I've checked the seats movement and bolts and all is ok, so it must be something to do with the internals of the seat back. As everything that moves is now lubricated, I running out of ideas.....

Anyone had this problem? It's really starting to annoy me....that and my steering issues/possible suspension issues. Starting to think I've got a 'Friday afternoon' model!!!!

2009 Ford Focus 1.8 Titanium in Midnight Silver

#2 Mondy55

Mondy55

TF regular

• Validating
  • 849 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:-

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:19 PM

You normally use lubricant when something that should be moving, isn't!

Unsure from reading the above if you've had the seat cover off to get at the internals. Do your seats have adjustable lumbar support, as I've heard of several cases of it breaking so there could be loose bits of spring rattling about inside.

#3 pistolpete1

pistolpete1

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:33 PM

Yes have had the seat covers off twice now (only takes 10 mins as I've done it numerous times in the past!).

It has a lumbar support, which is working fine. I've lubricated the moving parts as if the dry up they will be stiff and notchy, and in my opinion could cause this sensation I'm feeling/hearing.

No springs in the lumbar support, by the way....just a flexible plastic plate that is adjusted by a cable that bends it more when lumbar is full on, thus being able to feel it in the 'small' of your back.

The sensation tends to be higher up than the lumbar support anyway. Above it are two metal rods (quite big) and between them is a strap which supports your upper back. The two metal rods continue up to head rests and are spring loaded, so if you move back into seat the springs are stretched. This is the other section I have lubricated, as if it gets notchy I would expect a similar sensation to what I'm experiencing at the moment.

Hope that makes my problem a little clearer.......

#4 Mondy55

Mondy55

TF regular

• Validating
  • 849 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:-

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:36 PM

No springs in the lumbar support, by the way..

If you say so! But I've seen a thread on here where somebody took theirs apart after it stopped working, and there was clearly a spring (one of the sofa type ones) in there, which had snapped in two. Maybe there's different ones.

[edit] Ah, one I was thinking of was from a Mk4: http://www.talkford....lumbar-support/

#5 pistolpete1

pistolpete1

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:59 PM

No springs in the lumbar support, by the way..

If you say so! But I've seen a thread on here where somebody took theirs apart after it stopped working, and there was clearly a spring (one of the sofa type ones) in there, which had snapped in two. Maybe there's different ones.

[edit] Ah, one I was thinking of was from a Mk4: http://www.talkford....lumbar-support/

Guess they have changed the design so it goes wrong more often.....lol

I'll post some pictures of the internal parts when I take it apart again tomorrow.......shame the added the anti whiplash headres (possible cause of this problem), because the design looks poor and I'm not too sure how much movement it actually achieves......

In the meantime, I'm having a look at second hand Volkswagon Golf's......starting to get tempted to change.....

#6 pistolpete1

pistolpete1

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:21 PM

Ok, took the seat apart again today. I took pictures too, which may make a good FordWiki guide for getting into a Mondeo seat for any other problems, but not sure how to do this?

Anyway, I've now lubricated the two bars that hold the headrest, as they are connected to the whole spring loaded mechanism from the back rest section (it will become obvious when I add pictures later). These bars move up and down (creating the anti whiplash headrests) when the back support moved back and forth, and felt a little stiff/notchy.

Anyway, I've had 20 mins driving round roundabouts at speed, and so far so good (touch wood!).

Guess I will see in the next few weeks if the problem has stopped completely.....I hope it has, as I'll be stumped for another solution.....in the meantime I'll add pictures in the next few days.

#7 stripe88

stripe88

Big Megger

• Members
  • 2883 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:mondeo 2l ghiax

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

and if you could do a guide getting to heated seat elements, sure it will be very popular later in the year, are yours leather?

#8 pistolpete1

pistolpete1

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

No afraid not. I assume the elements are in the seat rather than the back? I've got the problem in the back of the seat.

Been in it today, and it's still there, but maybe not as obvious.......will look at it yet again sometime, but I can't imagine what it could be now, but still only happens round corners.

May check the bolts under the seat, as a small 'slip' due to a loose bolt may radiate up the frame and into the metal bars in the seat?

#9 pistolpete1

pistolpete1

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

Ok a quick ford wiki style review on how to get the front drivers seat cover off the seat (back only):

Firstly unclip the two long black plastic clips at the back (bottom) of the seat.....

Posted Image

Reach under the cover and unclip two long plastic black clips (one on left and one on the right).......one clip is seen here under the grey material on the left side. The clip is located around a metal rod.

Posted Image

Unclip two plastic clips located on the frame at the bottom of the seat......one is seen here...

Posted Image

Disconnect the metal wire that connects the lumbar support knob to the unit.....

Posted Image

Turn and pull the lumbar knob outwards and it will click out........

Posted Image

Move the car seat cover upwards a bit at a time from each side so not to tear it. You will find another black strip of plastic to unclip like the first one, and two plastic connectors under the foam at the top. These need to be undone by carefully squeezing in the plastic clip from the back so it comes through the hole. (Quite tricky and annoying until you get the feel for it)

Posted Image

You will be able to move the whole seat cover to the top of the seat, thus enabling you to work on the inside of the seat.

Posted Image

#10 pistolpete1

pistolpete1

Likes to chat

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

The two areas I've lubricated are as follows:

The moving part on this area of the seat......

Posted Image

As your body moves back onto that white band, the spring action mechanism moves up and down. This in turn moves the headrest (a little bit) as the anti whip lash feature. The two metal rods (top of picture) in the next picture go to the headrest. I've lubricated these too....

Posted Image

Unfortunately it seems I still have the problem, so I'll be looking into other areas of the seat next. Last resort will be to disconnect the anti whip lash feature and fix the middle metal bars to the frame, rather than it continually moving with the weight of your body....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users