Driver seat / Lumbar support - Interior / Exterior (Mk4 Mondeo) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

Driver seat / Lumbar support

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 frks2007

frks2007

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 1.8 TDCi

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:49 PM

Rite,
Since couple of other members mentioned a case of broken lumbar support bar (spring if you like), which then ripped through the upholstery and threatened to cut open someone’s leg in the back seat I took few pics of DIY repair since I am way past the warranty (which with Ford wouldn’t be of any use anyways). So, this is what I did:
1. Disconnected the battery and left my pretty little Mondy alone for few minutes (I personally have no idea why but others say to prevent unintentional airbag activation)…ah yes, if you by any chance do not have your stereo’s security code DO NOT disconnect the power!
2. Even though this step is not absolutely necessary I removed my seat from my vehicle. T-50 torx to remove 4 holding screws and 7mm wrench to unplug the power leads.
3. Front and rear parts of upholstery are connected at the back side of the seat by two long black pieces of plastic. Simply pull them apart and they separated.
4. Unhooked two black/white pieces of ropes that served as tension for front side of upholstery. Some force was necessary.

Posted Image

Posted Image

5. Pulled upholstery upwards to approximately middle of the back support. There I found two plastic clips connecting upholstery with metal frame on each side of the seat. Pulled them off.

Posted Image

Posted Image

6. Lumbar support mechanism was exposed:

Posted Image

Posted Image

7. Removed broken pieces of steel wire/spring and replaced it with 2-3mm thick steel cable that I had laying around and tiny bit of duct tape to prevent the very sharp steel treads from pinching my back and to hold the cable in place, since the steel cable is smaller in diameter then the original spring.…not pretty but functional (besides who will see it anyways :rolleyes: )

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

8. Pulled everything back in place and repair was DONE! Lumbar support back in function and upholstery not damaged!

Hope this helps a bit!

Mondeo MK4 Ghia 1.8 TDCi 2008 - 92kW

#2 Mondeo-hopeful

Mondeo-hopeful

Megger

• Members
  • 3400 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Tit X Sport 4

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for taking the time to post those pictures.
BLUETOOTH MODULE INFO www.talkford.com/topic/147387-please-help-for-btvc/page__p__1403226#entry1403226
Check your CONVERS+ version www.talkford.com/topic/154824-convers-versions/
Check your SPECIFICATION on ETIS here http://www.etis.ford...5707F2.fcvas509
To search the forum more effectively go to google.co.uk add the following to the search box :site talkford mondeo mk4 <your query> e.g :site talkford mondeo mk4 bluetooth

09 2.2 Tit X Sport, Hypno Silver, options are keyless entry, privacy glass, 8 Way Powered Drivers Seat

#3 SteveScotter

SteveScotter

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mondeo Mk3
  • Name:Stephen Scotter

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for the info and pictures. I've just repaired my drivers seat with a mountain bike break cable, a homemade clamp and two bolts.

I took the time to make the cable as tight as possible before clamping in place. Just had a quick spin around the block and while my lower back does now feel supported, I'm not sure if its comfortable! I'll leave it as is for a week but I might end up slacking the cable off a bit.

PS. It was the lower spring in my seat what was broken.

Edited by SteveScotter, 10 December 2011 - 01:24 PM.

#4 SteveScotter

SteveScotter

Just Joined TF!

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Ford Mondeo Mk3
  • Name:Stephen Scotter

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

I drove the car around for a couple of weeks over Christmas with the cable taught, but my back was ended up being continually sore. In an attempt to improve my comfort I slacken off the cable by a couple of cm to see if that helped, but unfortunately it didn't.. if anything it was worse.

I've had a bit of good luck though, I've managed to purchase a set of front and back seats off ebay for £50!

#5 4titx

4titx

Over Enthusiastic

• Members
  • 5374 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Mondeo 4 Titx
  • Name:Phil

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:46 PM

These things shouldnt break should they.

A good case of Ford over hardning the springs, or at least their supplier, so poor quality control.
LEDs, whats your Watts.
2.0 TDCi TitX in Hypnotic Silver

Dont thank me, thank him. I'm just the messenger.

#6 Tp

Tp

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:17 PM

Any ideas on how to fix drivers seat base as the metal side bar on my titanium x is starting to come through the foam and pushing through the leather

#7 isaacmk4spain

isaacmk4spain

Little Megger

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:28 PM

hi everyone from Spain. I have the same problem in the lumbar support, but the my problem is that I broke the piece of metal that connect bought sides.

In my local Ford dealear, didn's sell me the piece I broke, they sell me the whole mechanism that cost 40€, too expensive for me.

I can only see one of the nine pictures you posted. could you uploaded again?

thanks-Gracias

#8 costeau

costeau

Dirty old Megger

• Members
  • 1417 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:53 PM

Strange… I see all nine pics, and that's on the latest Safari on Mac OS X.
What browser do you use, isaac?

Mondeo Mk4 2008 (BA7) saloon 2.0 TDCi 130 PS (well, 152 PS with the Bluefin installed) Zetec Auto (TF-80/81SC)
Speedo cluster type 1, firmware: 0246
Audio system: Alpine iLX-700 (aftermarket)

#9 isaacmk4spain

isaacmk4spain

Little Megger

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

I apologize for answering so late. I'm at work and in these computers I use IE 8 and Mozilla Firefox. I do not understand because you can see the pictures and I did not. I will try to access from home or from the mobile phone.

I do not think that because I am accessing from Spain, might please the images get stuck halfway in the "english channel", between Dover and Calais

Greetings to all. I will keep working even Saturday night.

#10 Mondeo-hopeful

Mondeo-hopeful

Megger

• Members
  • 3400 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Tit X Sport 4

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

Your employer probably blocks tinypic.com where the pics are hosted.
BLUETOOTH MODULE INFO www.talkford.com/topic/147387-please-help-for-btvc/page__p__1403226#entry1403226
Check your CONVERS+ version www.talkford.com/topic/154824-convers-versions/
Check your SPECIFICATION on ETIS here http://www.etis.ford...5707F2.fcvas509
To search the forum more effectively go to google.co.uk add the following to the search box :site talkford mondeo mk4 <your query> e.g :site talkford mondeo mk4 bluetooth

09 2.2 Tit X Sport, Hypno Silver, options are keyless entry, privacy glass, 8 Way Powered Drivers Seat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users