TDCI Aux Belt Tensioner How to - Diesel Engines (Mondeo Mk3) - TalkFord.com

TalkFord.com uses cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info. To remove this message, please click the button to the right:    I accept the use of cookies

TalkFord Gold Members Don't See Adverts! Subscribe Today To Hide This Advert!

News Feed (View All Updates)

Photo

TDCI Aux Belt Tensioner How to

• Please log in to reply
359 replies to this topic

#1 markderby

markderby

Derby Meets Organiser

• Members
  • 3834 posts
  • Vehicle Driven:Modifide Fords
  • Name:Mark

Posted 08 September 2009 - 02:48 PM

POPULAR

just thought i write a How to Replace the
TDCI Aux Belt Tensioner
The kit that i got was made by gates and cost me the total of £105 inc vat part number is k036PK1640 and was purchest from Unitpart
Tensioner/Belt/3 Pullys
Posted Image

Tools for the job
Wheel Brace / Trolly Jack / Axel Stand / Wood.
Sockets
8mm/10mm/13mm/15mm/18mm + Extender Bars
Spanners
13mm/15mm
Torq's Bits
T40 and 10mm allen Key

1 loosen the wheel nuts then jack up the car so the wheel is off the ground and support the car with the axel stand . take off the wheel completely ...
Posted Image

in this Picture you will see a dirt cover that needs to be removed using your 8mm & 10mm sockets remove the
Posted Image

Now you need to jack up and Suport the engine with some wood using your trolly jack see picture
Posted Image

Engine mount removel it would be wise to move the water header tank using 10mm socket on extender now remove engine mount using 10mm Socket for the Sound deadner 18mm for the Top Nuts and 15mm for lower Bolts See Pictures
Posted Image
Posted Image

Now when lowering the engine becarefull not to damage your CV Joint as it can rest on the subframe
Posted Image

Now you can eather Pull of your belt or cut it REMEMBER how it goes on !!

Now to remove the Tensioner you need to undo the altenator using 15mm socket on the bottem Nuts and 13mm socket on the top bolt
Posted Image

Now comes the removel of the Belt Tensioner
3 13mm Bolts hold the frame on 2 from under the car other at the top
Posted Image

Getting it out is a little tricky i had to push the altenator up high from under the car and take the Tensioner out beside the exhaust pipe

Now you can Repace parts using Torqs T40 and your 10mm Allen key
Posted Image

Removing center Pully you will have to take the remainder of the engine mount off 1x 13mm Nut 2x 18mm Bolts 1x 15mm Twin Ended Bold that holds the center pully
http://img.photobuck...80920091296.jpg
http://img.photobuck...80920091297.jpg

Remember when refitting that the Belt goes through the Tensioner :)

i made a little tool for releasing the tensioner so the belt can be put back on the pullys with no Fuss
i used a 13mm bolt and 2x 13mm nuts i did have to File/Grind to small flat spots so it would fit in the 1/2" hole i used a spanner to Lever
http://img.photobuck...80920091299.jpg
http://img.photobuck...80920091300.jpg

Hope this helps

Cheers
Mark
  • drewc, nicam49, wreety and 3 others like this

Had the most powerfull Mondeo Mk3 Ghia X TDCI in the uk now in Mondeo Heaven 
Got Mondeo Mk3 TDCI-ST Estate
Got Mondeo Mk4.5 Titanium X Sport Estate 
Got Mondeo Mk4 Titanuim X Sport 2.5T Hatch
Got Focus ST225 Hatch Very Modifide 

#2 52graphite

52graphite

Still tinkering

• Members
  • 4620 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:01 PM

Very good. You should put it on the wiki, as it's easier to find and refer to like mine for the petrol job.

my name is Mark.
2004 C-MAX Ghia 1.6 TDCi || A JLR vehicle of some description
Gone but not forgotten: 2002 Mk3 1.8 Graphite in Magnum Grey on LPG ¦ Garage entry
Haynes manuals at Amazon: Mondeo Mk1 diesel ¦ Mk1/2 petrol ¦ Mk3 pre-face/facelift | C-MAX

#3 markderby

markderby

Derby Meets Organiser

• Members
  • 3834 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:02 PM

ok then so how you put it in there ?

#4 dog68

dog68

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 1117 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:35 PM

Excellent post, great pictures, and will prove invaluable to many, wish this had been put on before i had to do mine:)
tdci 115, 05.

#5 swordtail

swordtail

Big Megger

• Members
  • 559 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:52 PM

Yeah Great post do you have a time from start to finish? mine rattles like a b!tch so want to get it sorted but I wil need a new jack and axle stands more expense I don't need at the moment.
Tdci 130 ghia 2004

Decat done,Bottom Pulley and Tensioner Done and Rear Sub frame Bushes Poly'd and off course the Vibration Fix done,Cream Leather interior,Remapped to 142 bhp cat-back Stainless exhaust system.

#6 markderby

markderby

Derby Meets Organiser

• Members
  • 3834 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:55 PM

it tuck me about 1.45hrs started around 11ish finished at 1:30ish i all so did my manifold seals as well as i had some oil on my aircon pump that i noticed when working on car ...
just to say im very handy with spanners and know my way around engines but there would be a few things i should'nt of done that i thought would of been faster ... like Cuting down a Allen key to undo a bold and messening about trying to get the center pully off without taking the mount off so in all my time could of been cut down by 15 mins or so

#7 dog68

dog68

MEG Corporal

• Members
  • 1117 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:58 PM

took me about 3 hours, but i could not work out the belt (my wife pointed the way out!)
tdci 115, 05.

#8 swordtail

swordtail

Big Megger

• Members
  • 559 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:58 PM

it tuck me about 1.45hrs started around 11ish finished at 1:30ish i all so did my manifold seals as well as i had some oil on my aircon motor that i noticed when working on car ...

That quick ! Might have a go at it as it seem I will be having a few weeks of free time coming my way courtesy of Mr Brown and his mates :annoyed:

Tdci 130 ghia 2004

Decat done,Bottom Pulley and Tensioner Done and Rear Sub frame Bushes Poly'd and off course the Vibration Fix done,Cream Leather interior,Remapped to 142 bhp cat-back Stainless exhaust system.

#9 Boeingtech

Boeingtech

Megger

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:59 PM

great post,very informative

Clever cloggs

• Validating
  • 1614 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:10 PM

Well done Mark. There's been many posts re getting a write up done and you were the one that came up with the goods :driving:

BUT, seeing as you're only down in Derby, I may have to pop down and pay you a few quid :} Mines not ready yet for doing but I suspect it may not be that long. Every morning after first starting, there is a light rattle as the battery is re charging. It maybe the alternator, not sure. But it doesn't rattle when the aircon is switched on so not sure.

Well done again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users