- All-new Mustang is available to order in Europe for the first time in the 50-year history of the iconic muscle car
- Europeans configure and price nearly 500,000 all-new Ford Mustang models online in the first month that it is available to order across the region
- Ford websites enabling customers to explore pricing and options for the all-new Mustang attract 1.1 million visits
- Half of all models configured with the fast, fuel-efficient 2.3-litre EcoBoost engine, half with powerful 5.0-litre V8 versions – two thirds chose manual transmissions. Race Red and black are the top colours
It was a web stampede a half century in the making.
Potential customers flooded Ford websites to virtually design, specify options and price nearly 500,000 all-new Ford Mustang models in the first month Mustang was available to order across Europe in the vehicle’s 50-year history.
During the first week, more Mustang models were specified online than any other Ford vehicle. Ford Mustang websites, enabling customers to build and price a Mustang to a chosen specification attracted more than 1.1 million visits from mid-January to mid-February.
Data for that period indicated that all-new Mustang model equipped with the 314 PS 2.3-litre EcoBoost engine accounted for half of all models configured online. The other half were specified with the 418 PS 5.0-litre V8 engine.
“The rush to configure Mustang online represents 50 years of pent up demand across Europe,” said Roelant de Waard, vice president, Marketing, Sales & Service, Ford of Europe. “For some people across Europe, all‑new Mustang is the car they have waited for their whole lives.”
Confirming European tastes for sports cars with accessible performance the most popular specification overall was the EcoBoost-equipped model with six-speed manual transmission, chosen for 37 per cent of models configured. Manual transmissions overall accounted for two-thirds of models specified.
Of the five largest European sales markets – France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the U.K. – the EcoBoost engine was most popular in Italy (61 per cent) and Spain (59 per cent) and France (55 per cent). The powerful 5.0-litre V8 engine was most popular in Germany (60 per cent) and the U.K. (54 per cent).
The top colours were Race Red and black, each accounting for 20 per cent of models configured across Europe. In the biggest five sales markets, the most popular colours were:
- France – Race Red (24 per cent) and black (19 per cent)
- Germany – black (21 per cent) and Race Red (18 per cent)
- Italy – black (27 per cent) and Race Red/Deep Impact Blue (13 per cent)
- Spain – black (27 per cent) and Race Red (19 per cent)
- U.K. – Race Red (22 per cent) and Deep Impact Blue (17 per cent)
Elsewhere in the world the preferred choice of colour is clearer. In China, where more than 5 million consumers have visited the Ford site to learn more about Mustang, Race Red is the leader, accounting for more than a third of Mustang orders. In the U.S., black is the No. 1 colour.
The Ebony leather interior finish was chosen by 61 per cent across Europe, and 28 per cent of those who configured models online also chose to specify the Custom Pack, which includes:
- “Shaker Pro” premium audio system with navigation
- Climate controlled seats, reverse parking sensors
- Lustre Nickel multi-spoke 19-inch alloy wheels
- Side window chrome surrounds on the fastback model
- Perimeter alarm in selected markets
Engineered to deliver world-class performance, driving dynamics and usability, the all-new Ford Mustang is available in 10 exterior colours, equipped with standard with 19-inch wheels, a performance brake package, automatic HID headlamps, LED tail lamps, and a rear diffuser. Further standard equipment includes dual-zone climate control, nine-speaker sound system, and SYNC 2 voice control connectivity with 8-inch colour touch screen.
The Ford Mustang is exclusively available to order in Europe at new FordStore locations opening across the region primarily in metropolitan areas. Never before has Mustang gone on sale worldwide and the all-new Mustang will be available to customers in more than 100 markets. First shipments are headed for Asia, with vehicles arriving in continental Europe mid-year and in the U.K. with right-hand drive in the second half of the year.
Ford made the first 500 Ford Mustangs for Europe available to reserve during the 2014 UEFA Champions League Final. More than 9,300 people registered online for a chance to reserve one of the models during the match, the first 500 registrations placed in just 30 seconds.